Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

electricals etc from the uk

electricals etc from the uk

Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default electricals etc from the uk

our container from the uk has finally arrived and is currently sitting somewhere in sydney port...and its only now i have thought of something..

can all the plugs simply be changed over on the tv/fridge/kettle/toaster etc that we have brought over??

also..i have noticed the phone sockets are different here than in the uk..does anyone know if i can buy an adapter to put the uk phone end in so i can plug it into the phone socket?

my main concern is the tv plug as i am sure its not just a normal cable..maybe i will get an electrian in to sort it all out...
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: electricals etc from the uk

Yup just get an adapter for the electricals. One thing i've noticed though - Australian plugs don't always have an earth on them. If you are using a UK product which requires an earth perhaps one should make sure that they use a three prong plug??? have to admit don't really know.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:29 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

You biggest enemy is the combined plug and ac/dc adapter. In the ed I found it best to go and buy new ones. Otherwise you can just change all your plugs.

Another otion is to get some UK power boards, and change the plugs on those, since there are never enough sockets in a house anyway you'll need power boards. Then just plug your stuff into the power board with the UK plug.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by Burbage
You biggest enemy is the combined plug and ac/dc adapter. In the ed I found it best to go and buy new ones. Otherwise you can just change all your plugs.

Another otion is to get some UK power boards, and change the plugs on those, since there are never enough sockets in a house anyway you'll need power boards. Then just plug your stuff into the power board with the UK plug.
can you buy any uk style extension leads here in australia..i am kicking myself for not putting a few into the container
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
can you buy any uk style extension leads here in australia..i am kicking myself for not putting a few into the container
Not seen any.

We changed all our plugs over on all our electrical items, no probs. But we did buy new telephones as they are cheap enough.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Russ_Sarah;

i would be changing the UK plugs to Australian 10apm ones, some have earth pins some don't the ones that don't have a classification called class 2 appliances, NO Metal or they have a separation on the appliance separating the steel from plastic. how do you know whats what well class 2 appliances have a little square box on the appliance where it gives the voltage & other info if there is no square box then you shall require a 3 pin plug & 3 core flex.

regarding the phone sockets its easier to change them to the Australian, you can use the RJ45 phone jack or the crappy ones (cream in colour) they are called the 610 phone jack. if you try to use a converter lead it wont work just change them all.The Australian phone system is different from the Uk system.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:25 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Russ_Sarah;

called class 2 appliances, NO Metal or they have a separation on the appliance separating the steel from plastic. how do you know whats what well class 2 appliances have a little square box on the appliance where it gives the voltage
yep class 2 or double insulated and if you are not familar the square symbol looks like this........

Dougie
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

DOUGIE AN LOUISE;

i could not put it better myself my friend, well done