Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Electric shock off bath tap?

Electric shock off bath tap?

Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

claire-n-tel will become famous soon enoughclaire-n-tel will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Electric shock off bath tap?

Hi,

just thought someone may have an idea what is going on.....we are in a rented unit, hubby had a bath the other day (first time we've used it as normally shower) he'd been in the bath 10 mins and went to top up the hot water. He said he felt a tingle/pain travel up his arm when he touched the tap, he wasn't sure if he pulled a nerve or something but on moving his arm couldn't feel anything wrong, so went back to turn on the tap and the same thing happened. He figured it is electricity.

We got in touch with land lord who said as its so dry here it was probably static, although hubby said he thought it was not static as he said it felt very different to that, plus he was actually in a bath of water and the bathroom is fully tiled. Anyway, the landlord touched the taps and nothing (we already tried this when we were standing on the floor and dry and also felt nothing) he then touched the tap and the plughole (metal) at the same time and still nothing happened. He said he'd send his "sort of electrician" son round to look at it the next day, that was a week ago, still waiting. So i am now woried there is something seriously dangerous going on, we haven't had any probs in the shower sinks etc, should i be worried??

Thanks Claire
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:58 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electric shock off bath tap?

I'd pay to get your own qualified Sparky in, just to be safe....it doesn't sound too good though does it?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:00 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard of this and I think something needs earthing - I'm sure there are plenty of sparkies on here that can tell you properly.

Steve?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Llewellyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely get it checked out by a qualified electrician. Water and electricity can be a lethal combination! Don't take the risk.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

claire-n-tel will become famous soon enoughclaire-n-tel will become famous soon enough

Thanks All!

Didn't sound right to me either! I've left landlord a message so will wait and see. Avoiding the bath so good job we have a shower!!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire-n-tel
Thanks All!

Didn't sound right to me either! I've left landlord a message so will wait and see. Avoiding the bath so good job we have a shower!!
Too late when your dead Claire. Get a sparky and tell the landlord hes getting the bill.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

TheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really nice

Hi,

just thought someone may have an idea what is going on.....we are in a rented unit, hubby had a bath the other day (first time we've used it as normally shower) he'd been in the bath 10 mins and went to top up the hot water. He said he felt a tingle/pain travel up his arm when he touched the tap, he wasn't sure if he pulled a nerve or something but on moving his arm couldn't feel anything wrong, so went back to turn on the tap and the same thing happened. He figured it is electricity.

We got in touch with land lord who said as its so dry here it was probably static, although hubby said he thought it was not static as he said it felt very different to that, plus he was actually in a bath of water and the bathroom is fully tiled. Anyway, the landlord touched the taps and nothing (we already tried this when we were standing on the floor and dry and also felt nothing) he then touched the tap and the plughole (metal) at the same time and still nothing happened. He said he'd send his "sort of electrician" son round to look at it the next day, that was a week ago, still waiting. So i am now woried there is something seriously dangerous going on, we haven't had any probs in the shower sinks etc, should i be worried??

Thanks Claire
I'm a licenced spark. Its because of a potential difference (voltage) between the electrical earthing of the unit and that of the tap/water pipe. You need to get a sparks in to sort out the earth bonding to bring them to the same potential. I've seen them in Sydney of up to 50vac.

Last edited by TheSun; Jul 25th 2009 at 7:38 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:42 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks Claire
get your local electrical entity ( supplier ) out now

ie if with energex
http://www.energex.com.au/search/asp....asp?id=94#366

dont wait and certainly dont have some electrical wannabe check it out