Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

EKKA Brisbane - worth a visit?

EKKA Brisbane - worth a visit?

Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default EKKA Brisbane - worth a visit?

Quickie,

Is the EKKA worth a visit with two little ones?

Cheers
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EKKA Brisbane - worth a visit?

It's one of those things that if you don't go to, you will always wonder. However as far as I'm concerned once is plenty. It's very very busy and it depends on your kids. My girls were 12 and 14 and we weren't impressed but then we don't do transportable fairground rides - look way too flimsy and dangerous. The animals are cute enough. The bags 'tent' is a complete nightmare unless you know exactly what you are going to get in which case, you grab children's hands tight, rush to the stall you want and rush away out of the building as fast as you can.

Saying that, some people love it and go year after year. Personally I'd prefer to poke a stick in my eye
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:39 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to ask the same thing today. Heard about it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and bought our tickets online but since yesterday, I've heard nothing but Ekka this, Ekka that. If it's not the radio, it's the TV. If it's not the TV, it's the newspapers. Just wondered if all the hype was actually worth it or not.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
It's one of those things that if you don't go to, you will always wonder. However as far as I'm concerned once is plenty. It's very very busy and it depends on your kids. My girls were 12 and 14 and we weren't impressed but then we don't do transportable fairground rides - look way too flimsy and dangerous. The animals are cute enough. The bags 'tent' is a complete nightmare unless you know exactly what you are going to get in which case, you grab children's hands tight, rush to the stall you want and rush away out of the building as fast as you can.

Saying that, some people love it and go year after year. Personally I'd prefer to poke a stick in my eye
You hit the nail on the head MP. I've been once and that was plenty.

Pay $20-$50 for a couple of bits of tat and a few chocolate bars in a branded bag? No thanks.

Last year the Health Minister was even warning people to stay away as it's notorious for the spread of heavy duty flu (they made everyone entering use anti bacterial hand stuff to rid the germs because it is so virulent).

If the girls ever want to go, their dad takes them ... one of the joys of being divorced
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say go, but don't expect too much from the day. Its worth seeing once but I doubt you would rush back again.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote here for been once and never went again! Seems to be a common theme.

The whole showbags thing is completely lost on me....people going nuts over bags of crap no-one else wants.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Another vote here for been once and never went again! Seems to be a common theme.

The whole showbags thing is completely lost on me....people going nuts over bags of crap no-one else wants.
The trouble is that the stuff is the same every year. First year we were here I went and got the more expensive showbags - full of trinkets the kids then got for Christmas. They thought they were great tocking fillers, stuff like scooby doo pencil cases. But the following year the stuff was all the same, which kind of took away the point of going!
Compared to some of the shows like the Bath and West or the South of England its tat, which is a shame as they could make a lot more of it, instead of which it ends up being like a secoind ate fairground
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Been here coming on 3 years and have had no desire to go as yet...saying that my eldest came and asked if she could go with her pals and i said yes, she then came back next day and said she was not gonna waste her money, she certainly doesn't take after me!!

Suzanne
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:26 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Gold Coast show is vaguely more preferable. At least the showgrounds themselves are nicer and it's more open. I have to go to that because Tiddler performs there. Show bags are still crap though Never mind, a day off is a day off
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us gazing longingly, but not actually there yet, what is it?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Ekka is short for exhibition. I guess it started as largely an agricultural show, and there are a lot of animals on show. But it's also quite commercial too, I remember a lot of car dealerships, companies selling spas etc. Then there is a fairground with rides. And then, the big dark sheds housing the infamous showbags - the locals will be salivating like Pavlov's dogs over these and if there is anything worth buying it will be sold out pretty quick.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. So is a show bag like a party bag?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:47 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Nah it's crap. Pay $20 to get in , then $5 each ride + show bags and other rubbish the kids will want.

Works out to be an expensive day, goto Dream world instead

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Quickie,

Is the EKKA worth a visit with two little ones?

Cheers
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:50 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by RenShen
Thanks. So is a show bag like a party bag?
http://www.ekka.com.au/home/showbags...269&mainID=181

Bewildering!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
For those of us gazing longingly, but not actually there yet, what is it?
Originally Posted by bcworld
Ekka is short for exhibition. I guess it started as largely an agricultural show, and there are a lot of animals on show. But it's also quite commercial too, I remember a lot of car dealerships, companies selling spas etc. Then there is a fairground with rides. And then, the big dark sheds housing the infamous showbags - the locals will be salivating like Pavlov's dogs over these and if there is anything worth buying it will be sold out pretty quick.
In short, its a crock.

The Ekka Flu's just starting to catch hold also . . . both of mine off school yesterday, one a genuine casualty, the other just AWOL.

Nothing else to report.

Last edited by spartacus; Aug 6th 2008 at 12:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.