Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Question Edinburgh or Glasgow?

I'm planning a weekend away with some mates from work for my birthday in June. The problem being, I can't decide whether to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, or 1 night each. I've never been to either and don't want to be too rushed.

What do those of you in Scotland recommend?

Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edinburgh or Glasgow?

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I'm planning a weekend away with some mates from work for my birthday in June. The problem being, I can't decide whether to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, or 1 night each. I've never been to either and don't want to be too rushed.

Tracey
just realised I've put this on th eAustralia forum and not the Barbie will post it over there as well
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Hi Tracey,

Glasgow's got better clubs and pubs and shops galore! Being from the west coast of Scotland I am a bit biased tho . Have fun wherever you go!

Keri
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kerikerr
Hi Tracey,

Glasgow's got better clubs and pubs and shops galore! Being from the west coast of Scotland I am a bit biased tho . Have fun wherever you go!

Keri
thanks Keri.

The problem is everyone I've asked has either been to Glasgow OR Edinburgh and they sing the praises of both. Nobody seems to have been to both though!

I'm not a big fan of shopping, strange I know (probably because I never have any money )

So, I'm looking for somewhere that has decent bars etc. for the not so young (not ancient either ), some decent shops (something a bit different) as well as a bit of culture etc.

Also hotel recommendations would be great

Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Edinburgh has more historic sites to see which are all fairly central and within walking distance. There are loads of hotels in the city centre. Rose street is well known for it's bars and there are lots of nice bars all around the main streets of Edinburgh.

I'm sure some of the East coasters will be able to give you more info as I'm no expert

Keri
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:09 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I'm not from Scotland but have been to both cities and like Edinburgh best.

Rebecca
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:22 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Glasgow IMHO is a dive but Edinburgh is quite something.

I have been to both several times with work and always enjoyed Edinburgh but only have bad memories of glasgow as a dirty 'grey' town.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Glasgow on and off for nearly 3 years and have been to Edinburgh many times. Liked both cities but I think Edinburgh will be more fun if you have to choose one place for a weekend, with everything within walking distance - the castle, bars, restaurants and shops, etc.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone

Tracey
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tracey.d

Tracey
Edinburgh is a lovely city, has loads of history etc, shopping not that fantastic, good bars and restaurants. Glasgow is a bit rough around the edges but if you know where you are going it is ok. Glasgow is fantastic for shopping (2nd to London), go up the west end or Merchant city for good restaurants/ pubs etc. You will probably find that Glasgow folk are far more friendlier than folk from Edinburgh (sorry but is the truth) Nightlife in Glasgow beats Edinburgh by miles but maybe i am being a bit biased. Hope this helps!?