Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ebay purchase gone wrong....what to do?

Ebay purchase gone wrong....what to do?

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:46 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Ebay purchase gone wrong....what to do?

My OH and I are at logger heads about what to do, so thought I would try and canvas some opinion on here.

Basically, I bought a camera (not cheap) from a seller on Ebay. It was supposedly new with warranty and supposedly from Tasmania. Camera came and I used it for about 6mths before it ground to a halt. I contacted the seller and arranged to have it sent back to be repaired under the warranty. That was in April.

A million emails and 8mths later I still don't have my camera back, but as of today we are one step closer - except I got an email saying that the repair centre say it's been dropped so I have to pay $120 for the repair fee!

I've never dropped the camera and I'm the only one to use it. I emailed him back and said I'd pay the postage back but nothing else. He's said he can only go on what the repair centre say, and they say it's been dropped.

What should I do??
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:41 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ebay purchase gone wrong....what to do?

Originally Posted by banjo
My OH and I are at logger heads about what to do, so thought I would try and canvas some opinion on here.

Basically, I bought a camera (not cheap) from a seller on Ebay. It was supposedly new with warranty and supposedly from Tasmania. Camera came and I used it for about 6mths before it ground to a halt. I contacted the seller and arranged to have it sent back to be repaired under the warranty. That was in April.

A million emails and 8mths later I still don't have my camera back, but as of today we are one step closer - except I got an email saying that the repair centre say it's been dropped so I have to pay $120 for the repair fee!

I've never dropped the camera and I'm the only one to use it. I emailed him back and said I'd pay the postage back but nothing else. He's said he can only go on what the repair centre say, and they say it's been dropped.

What should I do??
You should get in contact with the ebay dispute resolution team - info given on the ebay website. This seller is messing you around - get ebay involved.

Nicky
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:05 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
You should get in contact with the ebay dispute resolution team - info given on the ebay website. This seller is messing you around - get ebay involved.

Nicky
I totally agree with Nicky, get eBay, and or Paypal, if you used them, involved. What kind of feedback does the seller have? It might give your case a better position if he/she has had a lot of complaints already. Also, you coud try contacting the repair shop directly. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Gill
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:33 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Thanks folks. I did try and get Ebay involved, but basically because I actually received the goods they can't / won't do anything. They would only get involved if the camera had never turned up in the first place. One thing's for sure....I won't be using Ebay for expensive purchases in the future.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:51 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
Thanks folks. I did try and get Ebay involved, but basically because I actually received the goods they can't / won't do anything. They would only get involved if the camera had never turned up in the first place. One thing's for sure....I won't be using Ebay for expensive purchases in the future.
If the seller isn't cooperating could you get anywhere with your household insurance? They might cover you for accidental damage if the repair shop give you confirmation the damage was caused by a drop!!

Gill
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think it's anything to do with the Seller, but the Manufacturer ????

Surely ???

All goods get fixed by Manufacturers representatives, not sellers. What make was the Camera.

Your camera would almost certainly be fixed on the mainland here, so you would be sending it off to the seller, who would be sending it off to the warranty agents.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:53 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I dont think it's anything to do with the Seller, but the Manufacturer ????

Surely ???

All goods get fixed by Manufacturers representatives, not sellers. What make was the Camera.

Your camera would almost certainly be fixed on the mainland here, so you would be sending it off to the seller, who would be sending it off to the warranty agents.
I agree, if I was to sell something on ebay, say a video which still was guaranteed, its not me who is guaranteeing the video its the manufacturer. So if anything went wrong it would be upto the videos owner to get in touch with the manufaturer or shop of sale to sort it out, but you would need a receipt.
If the ebay seller is a company then something may be able to be done but having been in retail for years guarantees are really a pain in the ass because the manufacturers favorite cop out is to say you have broken it, you can't prove otherwise and they know it.
Hope that helps
Jenny
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:27 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

I've recently had a bad deal on ebay as well,the guy was selling cd's and basically didn't have them and has now gone bust !! He took over 120 peoples money and did a runner,paypal will not help but agree I have a case ( well done sherlock) am now going thro ebay but hold little hope of seeing my money back.You should see the guys feedback now!!! He has been removed from ebay but there are some very upset people out there,I only can say the same as others..please see the feedback from others before you buy.there are some vile people out there who have no problems taking your hard earned money.
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:10 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

Always pay via your credit card since you can get a refund from your credit card company, bad news for paypal since the credit card company does a charge back against paypal so remember this golden rule and you should'nt have any worries.

Originally Posted by rugbymad
I've recently had a bad deal on ebay as well,the guy was selling cd's and basically didn't have them and has now gone bust !! He took over 120 peoples money and did a runner,paypal will not help but agree I have a case ( well done sherlock) am now going thro ebay but hold little hope of seeing my money back.You should see the guys feedback now!!! He has been removed from ebay but there are some very upset people out there,I only can say the same as others..please see the feedback from others before you buy.there are some vile people out there who have no problems taking your hard earned money.