Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ebay blackmail question

Ebay blackmail question

Old May 11th 2007, 5:19 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice
Default Ebay blackmail question

I bought a new mobile phone off ebay yesterday and paid $790 straight away through paypal on my credit card. The phone was $740 and the postal costs were $50 from Hong Kong, the seller has around 15000 feedback at 99.9 positive.

I get an email today telling me I had to pay another $10 for insurance. This was not stated anywhere on the advert, it actually said that the $50 included insurance.

I refused to pay any extra and asked for a refund or to send my phone for the agreed price.

I am awaiting a reply.

I am wondering what my options are if they dig their heels in and refuse to refund me or send my phone?

I have 86 feedback on ebay and this is my first ever problem. :curse:
Old May 11th 2007, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ebay blackmail question

If you feel they are not being honest then report them to ebay and let ebay deal with it. I complained about someone quite obviously bidding on their own items one time and it got them banned!!! I'm such a meanie!!!

Rudi

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
I bought a new mobile phone off ebay yesterday and paid $790 straight away through paypal on my credit card. The phone was $740 and the postal costs were $50 from Hong Kong, the seller has around 15000 feedback at 99.9 positive.

I get an email today telling me I had to pay another $10 for insurance. This was not stated anywhere on the advert, it actually said that the $50 included insurance.

I refused to pay any extra and asked for a refund or to send my phone for the agreed price.

I am awaiting a reply.

I am wondering what my options are if they dig their heels in and refuse to refund me or send my phone?

Old May 11th 2007, 5:28 am

gedge has disabled reputation

I am awaiting a reply.

i had similar happen to me
after pointing out the facts in the advertised item, the seller said they had made a genuine mistake and changed the invoice
hopefully you'll hear back from them and it'll be all good
take some screen prints of the ad if you can just in case (i don't know if a power seller can change details after the auction?)
Old May 11th 2007, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This should explain what they can and can't do. If you feel they are in breach of this then in the first instance try to reason with the seller, then if they still say they want more involve e-bay.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/polici...-shipping.html

If you leave them bad feedback, they will probably leave the same for you. If they do leave you bad feedback, either report it to e-bay or put an explanation underneath it for people's future reference (this looks better than just ignoring it).

Another thing you could do is post a question on the e-bay community forum, you'll get loads of advice there and also it will alert this seller that you mean business (if they see it anyway)
Old May 11th 2007, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
take some screen prints of the ad if you can just in case (i don't know if a power seller can change details after the auction?)
Yep, good advice. Also keep copies of all e-mails to and from the seller.

No, descriptions can't be changed by power sellers or anyone else after a certain time.
Old May 11th 2007, 5:32 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yep, good advice. Also keep copies of all e-mails to and from the seller.

No, descriptions can't be changed by power sellers or anyone else after a certain time.
i would have hoped they couldn't but still best to have your evidence in advance of any events
Old May 11th 2007, 5:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I am awaiting a reply.

Wow thats alot for a phone, doex it make coffee too?
Old May 11th 2007, 7:13 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Wow thats alot for a phone, doex it make coffee too?
True, how can a phone cost $790 ?
Old May 11th 2007, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

A gold plated phone perhaps? are phones that expensive in Australia? should I be buying a decent one herev to take with me before I go?

You can open a dispute with the seller and discuss the matter online.... this usually works... just point out that the advert said insurance included and they are asking for $10 more... but before you do this CHECK the advert... I have been 'done' because of a cleverly placed fullstop which entirely changed the meaning of the sentence....
Old May 11th 2007, 12:49 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
True, how can a phone cost $790 ?
Ok, i did get it a bit cheap.............

Item number 150118461578 is similar...

Get with the times grandpa, your Nokia 3310 is over the hill nowadays
Old May 11th 2007, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nice phone
Old May 11th 2007, 12:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wendy
Nice phone
Yes, and the seller has agreed to send it for the agreed and paid price.

I mentioned going through ebay's complaint procedure and they backed down pretty quick....All over $10 too.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, and the seller has agreed to send it for the agreed and paid price.

I mentioned going through ebay's complaint procedure and they backed down pretty quick....All over $10 too.

They usually do. After all, the potential loss of business will cost them more than $10
Old May 11th 2007, 9:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You've got too much money.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

I am awaiting a reply.

I was under the impressions that if you wone anything on Ebay it was a legally binding contract therefore if you didnt pay as stated they can sue you. However if it is not stated in the advert then you can sue them. A little harsh I know but try reporting them to Ebay and Paypal first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.