British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Eating in the fifties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/eating-fifties-776165/)

bobbyftm Nov 3rd 2012 12:12 am

Re: Eating in the fifties

Originally Posted by LouiseR (Post 10363477)
I love Dandelion and Burdock. I wonder if you can get it here...

Had it before from either English shop or chip shop at Birkdale ;)

eddie007 Nov 3rd 2012 12:17 am

We had american service personel renting the house next door throughout the Early 70s...they shopped on base, but lived in the community...

So I was introduced to ALL kinda of wild and exotic foods and stuff... Tuna...dry roast peanuts.... Green peppers... And WATERMELON... Something I had only ever seen in cartoons on TV... Likewise peanut butter and tinned spgahetti in tomato sauce that was shaped like letters of the alphabet... Graham crackers .... And multivitamins that were shaped like cartoon characters and tasted of cherry and grape.... Not just rank tasting round orangeish flavoured things....

The mothers never worked, so they would offer to look after me if I was sick from school...as both mine did....

I became an extremely sickly child ... Cant imagine why:blink:

sammax Nov 3rd 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10357999)
It was a real treat to go to granny's in the early 60's and be allowed to suck a sugar cube- they had to be picked up with her silver sugar tongs. We never had them at home.

I grew up in the 60's and our mum used to cut an orange in half, poke her finger in the middle and shove in a sugar cube and we used to suck on that for ages - it was a great treat!

sammax Nov 3rd 2012 3:31 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10362045)
The right stuff is awesome, pork dripping, especially the brown jelly at the bottom of the pot, wonderful.

We used to have that as well, sprinkled with salt! it was lovely. These days I only eat the jelly at the bottom though, and I skip the salt as I've got HBP.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 3rd 2012 3:37 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10362080)
I make good pork crackling,

Crispy Duck is also good. :thumbsup:

BEVS Nov 4th 2012 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes (Post 10363656)
Crispy Duck is also good. :thumbsup:

:sneaky:

Japonica Nov 9th 2012 1:20 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10362045)
The right stuff is awesome, pork dripping, especially the brown jelly at the bottom of the pot, wonderful.

My dad's cousin, who is, oh 90 this year, makes his own lard. The guy is stick thin and still fit enough to be doing work for his town council. Last time I was in Canada, I went looking for him at his house and he wasn't home. He was out installing snow fences on the edge of the village (population 142).

Lard...well, not my favorite, but I'd take it over the franken oils on the market these days. Hands down.

northernbird Nov 9th 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Japonica (Post 10373711)
My dad's cousin, who is, oh 90 this year, makes his own lard. The guy is stick thin and still fit enough to be doing work for his town council. Last time I was in Canada, I went looking for him at his house and he wasn't home. He was out installing snow fences on the edge of the village (population 142).

Lard...well, not my favorite, but I'd take it over the franken oils on the market these days. Hands down.

It's the very reason I use butter instead of some of these processed spreads. We don't have a lot of it so I would rather use the real stuff.

lesleys Nov 9th 2012 9:29 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 10374061)
It's the very reason I use butter instead of some of these processed spreads. We don't have a lot of it so I would rather use the real stuff.

+1