British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Eating in the fifties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/eating-fifties-776165/)

lesleys Oct 31st 2012 11:03 am

Re: Eating in the fifties

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 10358886)
Cue...."You were lucky, we had to live in a box in middle of 't street!!"

No ;) We were a comfortably off middle-class family. We had an ice cube each.

mikelincs Oct 31st 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 10358827)
+1

There was a family story about me climbing on a chair and eating the whole week's cheese ration (2 oz I think) from the pantry shelf when I was a toddler. I remember my mum counting the ration stamps before we went out shopping every day.
When we eventually got a tiny fridge my brother and I used to get an ice cube in an egg-cup each for a treat.

I well remember ration books, and the fact that, once they had been discontinued my sister and I and friends used to play 'shops' using the empty boxes from things, a toy cash register and the ration stamps. I still remember my mothers co-op dividend number from way back then, at least 60 years ago. 1174.

steve`o Oct 31st 2012 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10358998)
I well remember ration books, and the fact that, once they had been discontinued my sister and I and friends used to play 'shops' using the empty boxes from things, a toy cash register and the ration stamps. I still remember my mothers co-op dividend number from way back then, at least 60 years ago. 1174.

1174? **** me are you highlander?

moneypenny20 Oct 31st 2012 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 10359051)
1174? **** me are you highlander?

:wub: Had a mate who was the Props guy on those movies. Used to bring me pressies back when they went on location. Never brought me Christopher Lambert or Sean Connery though. :D

Sherlock Holmes Oct 31st 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jothefw (Post 10358500)
Flying saucers! Loved them!! And loved black jacks. Anyone remember Mojos? They were minty, I often ended up being called Mojo (one of my better nicknames).

Miss Fruit Club biscuits, better than Penguins!!!

As you know, I try to be positive at all times. :D

But I bought a packet of fruit clubs last time I was in Melbourne. I used to love them. After 6 years....I was rather disappointed. Maybe one's palate changes. :confused:

carolinephillips Oct 31st 2012 8:13 pm

Black jacks and fruit salads at 64 for a penny!! Used to take the shopkeeper ages to count them out. I also loved sherbert fountains when I was feeling very rich, or cough candy. My gran used to have bags of extra strong mints that would make my eyes water- she had the nickname Minty. Covered up some of the smell of the smoke.

Ladyhart Oct 31st 2012 8:32 pm

I'm glad it's not just me - my Mum's was 1881 - just wish I could remember my PIN numbers which are obviously far more recent additions.

carolinephillips Nov 1st 2012 1:23 am

I had the job of licking and sticking all the green shield stamps whenever I went to my nan's house. After my tongue had gone all horrid, she used to give me an extra strong mint. Kept me coming back for more- I was easily pleased when I was 6.

Sherlock Holmes Nov 1st 2012 1:28 am

Anniseed Balls. You could get some for a farthing. :D

Laights Nov 1st 2012 5:00 am

Jublee's, raspberry, orange or cider apple in the 60's, used to think we were right grown up having cider:rofl:

bobbyftm Nov 1st 2012 10:07 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10360049)
I had the job of licking and sticking all the green shield stamps whenever I went to my nan's house. After my tongue had gone all horrid, she used to give me an extra strong mint. Kept me coming back for more- I was easily pleased when I was 6.

Ha ha that was my job on a Friday night at my Grans :lol:

moneypenny20 Nov 1st 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 10360511)
Ha ha that was my job on a Friday night at my Grans :lol:

It was my job as well but I used to keep the sheets together, run them under the tap and then stick the whole lot in in one go and then wipe the excess water off :lol:

bobbyftm Nov 1st 2012 10:14 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10360512)
It was my job as well but I used to keep the sheets together, run them under the tap and then stick the whole lot in in one go and then wipe the excess water off :lol:

Cheat ! :p

lesleys Nov 1st 2012 10:23 am

363. That was before they had divi stamps. And they used to deliver groceries on a bike.

mikelincs Nov 1st 2012 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by lesleys (Post 10360530)
363. That was before they had divi stamps. And they used to deliver groceries on a bike.

Yes, they gave you a little receipt with the number on and the amount you had spent, Our Co-op had one of those tube systems to transfer the money from the counter to the cash person who then sent the receipt back with the change, and sugar was weighed into blue bags, and you could get 'broken crisps' at 4 bags a penny. The 'pop' man (Corona) called once a week, we were allowed 1 bottle each, and we had groceries delivered by a grocery van, a little mobile shop (actually was my Uncles business, and another Uncle was a butcher who delivered twice a week, and I worked for both during the summer holidays). I remember the milk man delivering 3 times a week, he had a big churn and just filled our milk jugs. No fridge so it went on the cold slab in the pantry, which is where the meat safe was as well. We got our first fridge in 1958.