Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

East Coast Campervan Trip Christmas '18 Suggestions

East Coast Campervan Trip Christmas '18 Suggestions

Old Sep 4th 2018, 7:56 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default East Coast Campervan Trip Christmas '18 Suggestions

G'day Aussies,

Looking for route planning advice for a three week trip up along the east coast of Oz this Christmas, first time in Australia for 20 years so it's going to be a bit of an eye opener for me. The gang is two 40-ish adults and three boys 8-14, the idea is a camper van and tents. I'm trying to include a few things that I'll list, and also I'm trying to get the best use out of the time without massive driving. So some initial points:
  1. Start in Melbourne or start in Sydney?
  2. A couple of days in Sydney to climb the bridge, go to the opera house and see a few of the sights in the harbour. If there are a few things worth specifically going to, I'm open to suggestions.
  3. Hire a camper-van or 4 berth RV type thing to drive up the coast, buy a tent and sleeping bags for the boys to camp out in. Plus maybe some kind of foam mattresses, and a couple of surf boards to learn on. Recommendations for a good RV hire would be nice, and for the camping accessories.
  4. Drive up the coast with the idea of seeing the great barrier reef, the whit Sundays, Frazier Island, some of the Gold coast amusement parks and random stuff along the way.
  5. Also would like to include cooking BBQ most nights, doing proper surfing lessons, a bungee jump and perhaps a sky dive.
  6. Park up at the beaches most nights? Is this possible or would we always need to find an official park?
  7. I'd prefer to take the camper-van one way only and fly back out from wherever we land up rather than returning.
Anyhow really keen to hear suggestions and recommendations. I'm going to try put the trip together over the next 6 weeks, and I want to push the boat out for a once in a lifetime type experience.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 10:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: East Coast Campervan Trip Christmas '18 Suggestions

You can't take a campervan or RV to Fraser Island...you would need a proper 4x4 vehicle.

For Whitsundays you'd be able to park up in Airlie Beach and take a trip out.

I think more often than not you'll probably need to park up in a designated camp ground / holiday park...things will be pretty uncomfortable for 5 of you otherwise...and I am sure there will be many regulations about camping in public areas. Bear in mind though, campgrounds and caravan parks will be at peak time during this period so availability will be an issue in popular spots.

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 4th 2018 at 10:38 am.
Old Sep 4th 2018, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

This looks particularly helpful website including one way wheels !

https://www.travelwheels.com.au/site...a-from-cairns/
Old Sep 5th 2018, 3:14 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
This looks particularly helpful website including one way wheels !

https://www.travelwheels.com.au/site...a-from-cairns/
Thank you, that's very helpful