Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dust, earthquakes, fire risk..everyone ok?

Dust, earthquakes, fire risk..everyone ok?

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dust, earthquakes, fire risk..everyone ok?

Just wondering how everyone is coping with the strange weather & earth shifting that has been going on!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dust, earthquakes, fire risk..everyone ok?

It was an earthmoving experience, we were having dinner and the noise was the first thing we heard,sounded like a loud thunder storm or explosion, I said its earthquake, they said no then it shook, then more thunder and it shook again. I knew what it was as I used to live in New Zealand where it shakes a lot. If you ever look at the NZ seismic centre you can see its every day there. There is a fault not far from us and evidently we were near the epicentre. We have had a few this year and yet I cannot remember having many in years gone by as we have lived here for 20 years.

I was ready to head for the doorway as there would not have been room under the table for us all.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:15 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to Brissie today and got caught up in the dust... it feels like I have been smoking 40 Rothmans!

Drove back just now.. it hit the Sunshine Coast at about 3pmish or so the locals have told me.. the roads were pretty clear though and most people were using their headlights

What about everyone else?

Em x
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
I was ready to head for the doorway as there would not have been room under the table for us all.

Originally Posted by emelems
I went to Brissie today and got caught up in the dust... it feels like I have been smoking 40 Rothmans!

Em x
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:29 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Just wondering how everyone is coping with the strange weather & earth shifting that has been going on!
I'm a little upset. My wife is fine, she is used to the earth moving....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:30 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Drove back just now.. it hit the Sunshine Coast at about 3pmish or so the locals have told me.. the roads were pretty clear though and most people were using their headlights

What about everyone else?

Em x
I have been out and about quite a lot today and I can defo feel the effects of the dust on my chest. No previous respiratory problems so for the folks who have it must be horrendous. Local radio is saying that at it's worse, and it does seem we got it a bit worse than Sydney, it was a staggering 20,000ppm.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I have been out and about quite a lot today and I can defo feel the effects of the dust on my chest. No previous respiratory problems so for the folks who have it must be horrendous. Local radio is saying that at it's worse, and it does seem we got it a bit worse than Sydney, it was a staggering 20,000ppm.
Just walked down the hill with this weeks beer delivery, and I was gasping for breath. My lungs aren't brilliant, but they usually only suffer going uphill. Today was the first time in months I have actually been unable to breathe for a few minutes.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just walked down the hill with this weeks beer delivery, and I was gasping for breath. My lungs aren't brilliant, but they usually only suffer going uphill. Today was the first time in months I have actually been unable to breathe for a few minutes.
hmmm that is not good.. hope you are feeling a bit better now

Em x
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
I'm a little upset. My wife is fine, she is used to the earth moving....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:43 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm that is not good.. hope you are feeling a bit better now

Em x
Once I'd recovered enough to get the top off a beer bottle
I knew it would get in my lungs but I was quite surprised how badly, especially as I was going downhill all the way. I really feel sory for anyone with serious lung problems. I can feel it on my skin too, even though the worst of it is now gone from here.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I knew it would get in my lungs but I was quite surprised how badly, especially as I was going downhill all the way. I really feel sory for anyone with serious lung problems. I can feel it on my skin too, even though the worst of it is now gone from here.
Glad to hear that beer is the cure though

Thought you would be busy at work with all this stuff going on Polly?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Crumbles

Hope you're feeling better. I prescribe beer, and lots of it . . .
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

No earthquakes, no fire yet (I hope not) but very dusty. I got out of the house in the morning, had a look and though today is the day Noah's ark serves its purpose

You deliver beers? Do you brew beers at home?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:03 am
Account Closed

It was on my skin, in my hair, in my ears... yuk.. my throat and chest feels dire and I am in the rudest of health so I feel for the people with respiratory problems

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Sep 23rd 2009 at 8:03 am. Reason: keep missing out words... I blame the storm!
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Glad to hear that beer is the cure though

Thought you would be busy at work with all this stuff going on Polly?
Had a pretty hectic night last night, couple of nights of peace and quiet now though

Originally Posted by looky

You deliver beers? Do you brew beers at home?
No, I'm just the custodian of the beer supply for local drinking nights....Bernie thinks his beer is safe at my place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.