Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dunno if this had been done

Dunno if this had been done

Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dunno if this had been done

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Now I have got something to rant about, I used to live in Chittering, North of Perth and it was the best year of my life!!!!

PLEASE don't complain about the Oz weather, that just depresses me more cos I miss it so much.
Sorry... i wasn't complaining, just pointing out that it isn't always possible to spend time outside either, then you know that, i love Perth so commiserations on the weather in the UK.. hopefully you will make it back here sometime.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:03 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Sorry... i wasn't complaining, just pointing out that it isn't always possible to spend time outside either, then you know that, i love Perth so commiserations on the weather in the UK.. hopefully you will make it back here sometime.

Aye, I understand the heat over there, we had a heatwave on New Years Eve, it was 38 degrees at one in the morning and we had no aircon! We had to sleep under wet sheets with fans on us. Not nice. But I suffer from SAD, so I can't get back there quick enough!

Kalamunda huh? - can't you move to the coast where it's a bit cooler?

Nx
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:06 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy

I hated the heat and bloody flies in Perth,I much prefer the climate in the UK which untill last year has had below average rainfall and the summers since I have been back have been very nice indeed
Its what suits you best have not missed a game of golf in 3 years because of the weather back home, in Perth no one could not play as it was to hot and sticky.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
I hated the heat and bloody flies in Perth,I much prefer the climate in the UK which untill last year has had below average rainfall and the summers since I have been back have been very nice indeed
Its what suits you best have not missed a game of golf in 3 years because of the weather back home, in Perth no one could not play as it was to hot and sticky.
Some people should never venture further south than Watford - or the heat will get to them.

I guess you just weren't suited to a warm climate - some people are born to endure the endless porridge that is the 10 degree weather in the UK, 7 or 8 tedious months of tepid temperatures and grey skies. Give me 28 degrees and sunny over that wrist-slashingly depressing low cloud base, drizzle and not-hot/not-cold temperatures.

Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:54 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Some people should never venture further south than Watford - or the heat will get to them.

I guess you just weren't suited to a warm climate - some people are born to endure the endless porridge that is the 10 degree weather in the UK, 7 or 8 tedious months of tepid temperatures and grey skies. Give me 28 degrees and sunny over that wrist-slashingly depressing low cloud base, drizzle and not-hot/not-cold temperatures.

Thank you thank you thank you . . .
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:46 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Not the UK I know, the last 3 years since I escaped the dust bowl of Perth have seen well above average tempratures and lovely warm summers
I could have stayed in Australia but thought......naw.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 25th 2008 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:17 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Not the UK I know, the last 3 years since I escaped the dust bowl of Perth have seen well above average tempratures and lovely warm summers
Wooo - yea - totally tropical. Next thing you'll be telling me that when people arrive at Heathrow these days, an attractive girl in a Hula skirt hangs a Lei arround your neck.

Think you're being a bit creative with that phrase 'lovely warm summers' mate. Here's the Met Office's statistics for London (the warmest place in the UK thanks to the heat island effect). I've highlighted the average max temperature column and included your favourite city for comparison's sake. All my friends back in the UK told me that last summer was absolutely shite - a total wash-out, cold and wet.

I could have stayed in Australia but thought......naw.
But you thought ... naw ... it's grey skies and drizzle for me lads!

Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:22 pm
Homeward bound

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/...26_weather.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that Perths winter is warmer than Scotland's summer - thats right - I lived in sunny scotland for the last 6 years and, having to wait and wait and wait for a visa I have quit - I now live in sunny Manchester instead - that 2 degrees of extra heat means the world to me - Roll on Perth - bring it on baby!!!!! yeah
Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone else noticed that Perths winter is warmer than Scotland's summer - thats right - I lived in sunny scotland for the last 6 years and, having to wait and wait and wait for a visa I have quit - I now live in sunny Manchester instead - that 2 degrees of extra heat means the world to me - Roll on Perth - bring it on baby!!!!! yeah
You should move down to South Wales - wetter but heaps warmer than Manchester!! Couldn't believe the difference when we moved down. Still miserable compared to Aus though.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:35 am
Homeward bound

Originally Posted by Fly Away
You should move down to South Wales - wetter but heaps warmer than Manchester!! Couldn't believe the difference when we moved down. Still miserable compared to Aus though.
No chance, they scare the bejeezers out of me down there - thy're all mental (no offence)
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

No chance, they scare the bejeezers out of me down there - thy're all mental (no offence)
LOL, you've obviously met Reedy then......

Sorry Reedy.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:33 pm
Banned

I enjoy the changing seasons in the UK and I cant understand what you are on about to be honest, the weather has been great in the last few years and I much prefer it to the heat and flies of Perth anyday, its not the weather that made me leave Australia, I just did not like Australia except for the women that are very very friendly and appriciate a man who actully talks to them instead of just burping and farting
Good luck to you in Oz mate you can have it, you would not get me back for all the real ale in Stratford, I have a life to live.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 26th 2008 at 1:35 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:39 pm
Banned

Wooo - yea - totally tropical. Next thing you'll be telling me that when people arrive at Heathrow these days, an attractive girl in a Hula skirt hangs a Lei arround your neck.

Think you're being a bit creative with that phrase 'lovely warm summers' mate. Here's the Met Office's statistics for London (the warmest place in the UK thanks to the heat island effect). I've highlighted the average max temperature column and included your favourite city for comparison's sake. All my friends back in the UK told me that last summer was absolutely shite - a total wash-out, cold and wet.

Hey this is funny, look at the chart, perth gets loads MORE rain than London, thanks for pointing that out lad and the number of wet days in Perth..hmmmm..lots....also like how you have highlighted the Max as well, why not the minimum? and Hutch are you from Perth? if you are you have all my sympathy, I wasted 18 months of my life in that hole.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 26th 2008 at 1:46 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:59 pm
Australia's Doorman

the heat and flies of Perth
Well, I posted the above image to illustrate how it doesn't get *that* hot. Never been to Perth, but it being on the same latitude as where I do live in NSW, I can't imagine it's that much different here. Basically, you might get the odd freaky day when it's up towards the 40s, but for the most part, it's a very liveable, very pleasant high 20s. You keep mentioning the heat as if it's some constant Saharan scorcher, when the reality is that you might get a few days in the summer when it's in the 40s, but for the most part it's in the (very pleasant) high 20s and in the winter (May thru Oct) it's in the low 20s. Like I said, some people just weren't made to live in a warmer climate.

Hey this is funny, look at the chart, perth gets loads MORE rain than London
Glad you picked up on that. Note how the bulk of the rain arrives between May and October? See how the summers are nice and dry? Compare to the UK - constant rain, whatever the season. That means it's virtually impossible to plan anything in the UK because it rains every other day, whereas in Perth, it all arrives in the winter.

also like how you have highlighted the Max as well, why not the minimum?
Because you keep mentioning the 'heat' and the 'flies'. And whilst I understand that some people just weren't made to endure temperatures higher than 22 degrees, most of us are fine with warmer temperatures. The flies are a pain in the arse of course, but they're only around for about three months out of 12, so it's hardly a deal breaker.

and Hutch are you from Perth? if you are you have all my sympathy, I wasted 18 months of my life in that hole.
No mate - I'm a couple of hours south of Sydney. Having read a few of your posts, I can fully understand why you returned to the UK - in your shoes I'd have done the same. There again, in your shoes, those being the shoes of a young single bloke, I'd have moved to London - not Perth. I understand you didn't like the place, but the fact that you moved to a part of the world that was totally unsuited to your needs, does not make it a 'hole'. In 10 years time, with a couple of kids in tow - you might feel very differently about the place.

Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:23 pm
Banned

Glad you picked up on that. Note how the bulk of the rain arrives between May and October? See how the summers are nice and dry? Compare to the UK - constant rain, whatever the season. That means it's virtually impossible to plan anything in the UK because it rains every other day, whereas in Perth, it all arrives in the winter.
That means it's virtually impossible to plan anything in the UK because it rains every day,

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 26th 2008 at 4:25 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.