Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dunno if this had been done

Dunno if this had been done

Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dunno if this had been done

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
yes the rain has been way above average for some parts of the UK this month, but today and yesterday has been brilliant sunshine and even when it rains I love taking my dogs for long 15 mile hikes over hills dales and rivers .....when I was in perth it was to hot to do any walking and I just stayed in with the air-con robbing my wallet summer is just around the corner and the long-range forecastors are predicting another belter like 2006 thinking back to Perth with the shirt soaking heat and the bloody flies and insects makes a little cool rain heaven,get your kids wellies on and take them to the nearest stream and let them play....they will love it, rain is good.
Totally agree ....my god, a Little bit of rain doesnt stop you living !!! you can still go out !! It is Winter for gods sake .... Even you lot that have emigrated FFS you all survived ....there is more to life than the bloody weather!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:17 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Its good to have a rant and get things off your chest. Good on you for that, but as an experiment, save these rants somewhere and read them back after you have lived in Aus for a while. It could well make funny reading
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:25 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Its good to have a rant and get things off your chest. Good on you for that, but as an experiment, save these rants somewhere and read them back after you have lived in Aus for a while. It could well make funny reading
spot on, I was just like the poster and was exited about moving to Perth. 2 years later it has made me appriciate life back home warts and all
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:44 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Yea, funny you should say that Flea. Someone made a similar suggestion to me, on these very forums, a couple of years ago - and you know what - every word I said rings just as true as the day I wrote them.

Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lelchelle
there is more to life than the bloody weather!!
Good god woman - are you British?

Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

If I did a huge rant about Australia would it make you feel better about being in Blighty?!

(Actually, I can't be bothered, I like it here - I refer anyone who wants to read whinges about Australia to the MBTTUK forum! )
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
But I really need a rant,

I don't expect anyone to read this, just ignore it and have a rant for yourself. Here goes . . . .

I HATE January soooo much, OMG does it have to rain ALL the time, I want to take my kids to the park, but not a chance, I am so sick of being stuck in the house every afternoon, cos its either that or the cinema or the local indoor play area where the girls running the place are about 17 and only interested in txting their bf's and therefore NEVER clean the place so its FULL of all the horrible viruses that are going around these days so you daren't take your kids there to play. Or you could go to the cinema, but to do that you have to take out a loan from the local friendly bank that wont rip you off and charge you 29% interest until after the first 6 months and then you find there's a get - out clause so if you want to pay the loan/credit card off you've got to re-mortgage your house, as long as you pay a penalty for changing the fixed rate mortgage that you never knew you were tied into in the first place. And isn't everyone soooo miserable these days? nobody smiles and says hello - I try to be friendly to people, if only because I think that life is shit enough without being horrible to other people and making yourself feel bad. And don't even get me started on driving. I have to drive 400 miles to Aberdeen and 400 miles back once a fortnight, so I would like to think that I am a reasonably experienced driver, I try to be patient and courteous but I am really coming to my wits end with some of the prats out there......

But mostly its just the January / February / March blues, see me in April - I might feel better by then.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing your rants too.

P.S

Any suggestions on how to spend these cold wet afternoons with 2 young kids would be greatly appreciated.
Come to Perth, you get the opposite problem, it hasn't rained here for at least a month and they think it may not rain for another month!!!!
It is very hot here,even when you go on an overcast day you get burnt on the beach...
This isn't complaining, i still much prefer this climate to UK.. but there are similar problems here and you can often be restricted to the house because it is too hot.
No real rants apart from that and the bad drivers here.. Need eyes in the back of your head to see whos gonna hit you next.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Im going to add to the rude people rant - it is my only bugbear, as I am not a whinger by nature but I am a sociable little thing and it winds me up when people dont talk to me *humph*....take last night at the gym for instance I tried to make conversation with the old boy next to me, you know the time goes by so much quicker if you have someone to chat too and I didnt fancy making conversation with the fit footballer the otherside of me in case I dribbled, so I told the old boy I had a numb bum....he frowned at me. Thats not very friendly is it. Miserable barsteward.....never mind the footballer was much more interested in my aches and pains
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

But I really need a rant,

I don't expect anyone to read this, just ignore it and have a rant for yourself. Here goes . . . .

I HATE January soooo much, OMG does it have to rain ALL the time, I want to take my kids to the park, but not a chance, I am so sick of being stuck in the house every afternoon, cos its either that or the cinema or the local indoor play area where the girls running the place are about 17 and only interested in txting their bf's and therefore NEVER clean the place so its FULL of all the horrible viruses that are going around these days so you daren't take your kids there to play. Or you could go to the cinema, but to do that you have to take out a loan from the local friendly bank that wont rip you off and charge you 29% interest until after the first 6 months and then you find there's a get - out clause so if you want to pay the loan/credit card off you've got to re-mortgage your house, as long as you pay a penalty for changing the fixed rate mortgage that you never knew you were tied into in the first place. And isn't everyone soooo miserable these days? nobody smiles and says hello - I try to be friendly to people, if only because I think that life is shit enough without being horrible to other people and making yourself feel bad. And don't even get me started on driving. I have to drive 400 miles to Aberdeen and 400 miles back once a fortnight, so I would like to think that I am a reasonably experienced driver, I try to be patient and courteous but I am really coming to my wits end with some of the prats out there......

But mostly its just the January / February / March blues, see me in April - I might feel better by then.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to hearing your rants too.

P.S

Any suggestions on how to spend these cold wet afternoons with 2 young kids would be greatly appreciated.

I remember it well. I used to hate January, always thought it was the worst month of the year even though my birthday is in January. Lucky me now has my birthday in summer and I do not suffer from the January blues anymore...........bliss.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
feeling for you.

I know exactly how you are feeling.

with 2 kids myself (7&4) it costs me a small fortune (which i dont have) for us to go anywhere.

my boy wants to go in the garden all day but in order for him to do that i have to go out there with him as it is down a flight of stairs so i cant see them if i'm inside. there is no way on this earth is he playing on the front as there are too many aresholes who drive too flippin fast down our road (just beacuse it is a straight road).

and the cinema!!!! mum came up for christmas and told me and the OH to bugger off out and have a rest from the kids. which was lovely for her to say. havent been anywhere for nearly 4 years together (babysitter nicked our stuff so now we cant trust anyone).

so off we went.

with a student card it still cost £15!!!!!! for the two of us. just as well we got the sweets from the bloody newsagents and the kids wernt there.

The golden compass. looked good.

HELL NO!!!! it's a two hour bloody prologue! it just got going two and a half hours after it started!!

we were a )pissed off because it had just got interesting and b) so happy that it ended!

now i remember why we stopped going to the cinema. it was a ritual for us when we first got together. he'd change from college, go to boss and get his wages and we would either go to cinema and a kebab on the way back or hire out a dvd and a pizza.

now we just sit inside all bored and tearing the walls apart

We go to the cinema a fair bit now, as we have the cheap cards that came in the free local paper. It now costs us $5.50 each for an adult. Once the card expires we will not go as much as I think it is $13 each or something.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:44 am
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Come to Perth, you get the opposite problem, it hasn't rained here for at least a month and they think it may not rain for another month!!!!
It is very hot here,even when you go on an overcast day you get burnt on the beach...
This isn't complaining, i still much prefer this climate to UK.. but there are similar problems here and you can often be restricted to the house because it is too hot.
No real rants apart from that and the bad drivers here.. Need eyes in the back of your head to see whos gonna hit you next.
Now I have got something to rant about, I used to live in Chittering, North of Perth and it was the best year of my life!!!!

PLEASE don't complain about the Oz weather, that just depresses me more cos I miss it so much.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I HATE January soooo much, OMG does it have to rain ALL the time, I want to take my kids to the park, but not a chance, I am so sick of being stuck in the house every afternoon, cos its either that or the cinema or the local indoor play area where the girls running the place are about 17 and only interested in txting their bf's and therefore NEVER clean the place so its FULL of all the horrible viruses that are going around these days so you daren't take your kids there to play.
Oh yes I know what you mean! It's rained almost every day of the 6 week school summer holidays here in Brisbane, it's been a nightmare (though being in a drought we have needed the rain). Definitely brought back unpleasant memories of being stuck in for months on end with little ones in Blighty. The sun finally seems to be making an appearance though - just in time for Aussie day tomorrow and their return to school on Tuesday.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, funny you should say that Flea. Someone made a similar suggestion to me, on these very forums, a couple of years ago - and you know what - every word I said rings just as true as the day I wrote them.

In other words, some people DO want a change, and Australia was the best thing that ever happened to them.

But now is usually the time I tiptoe out and leave the thread to the Little Englanders and the Little[Middle] Englanders that fight to disagree with them.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
yes the rain has been way above average for some parts of the UK this month, but today and yesterday has been brilliant sunshine and even when it rains I love taking my dogs for long 15 mile hikes over hills dales and rivers .....when I was in perth it was to hot to do any walking and I just stayed in with the air-con robbing my wallet summer is just around the corner and the long-range forecastors are predicting another belter like 2006 thinking back to Perth (worst 2 years of my life) with the shirt soaking heat and the bloody flies and insects makes a little cool rain heaven,get your kids wellies on and take them to the nearest stream and let them play....they will love it, rain is good. hey....and there is some right miserable ***tards out there as well, thinking back...there are more.
The thing is though, let's face it, we're not all Goretex Gucci kit monsters - who grew up semi-aquatic scrambling the scree of the Peak District.

Even those of us who had to deal with inclement weather and who put up with the indignity of parachuting cos at least if it was raining you kept dry for a minute.

The reality is that most people don't do rain.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not too bad actually

I sometimes wonder how generations of Britons managed to survive.....never mind rule half the world at times.

"Sorry Sir Walter...we can't fight the Spanish today...it's too wet and cold to go out".

G
[3 posts in a row] - the thought has ocurred to me. You're forgetting - the Playstation generation considers it a trifle politically incorrect to actually harbour REAL intentions of ruling half the world - the world where the sun never set. Maybe that's why Britons did - the sun was always obscured back in the Rodina.

I prefer the climate in Melbourne myself - best of both worlds. Just as you get fed up with the [tail-end] extremes of summer or winter 2 seasons arrive which are just right.

Having said that, it took a move for me to experience it - and the enjoyment of a continental climate to realise it. 'Till then, I never really noticed the weather in the Uk as I was never a package holiday junkie.

cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.