British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Dumb credit card question...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/dumb-credit-card-question-760829/)

moneypenny20 Jun 6th 2012 9:07 am

Dumb credit card question......

Put simply, how do I pay someone in a private capacity for something using my credit card? I never ever use the card for anything other than online purchases but I've got to pay someone and the only way I can do it is with the card but I've no idea how to transfer the money. I have their bank details. Help!!!!!

eddie007 Jun 6th 2012 9:13 am

Re: Dumb credit card question......

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10103095)
Put simply, how do I pay someone in a private capacity for something using my credit card? I never ever use the card for anything other than online purchases but I've got to pay someone and the only way I can do it is with the card but I've no idea how to transfer the money. I have their bank details. Help!!!!!

Paypal...pay anyone... If they have a pp account:confused:

moneypenny20 Jun 6th 2012 9:19 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10103106)
Paypal...pay anyone... If they have a pp account:confused:

My pp account is blocked for no apparent reason and I'm over asking them to sort it so pp is out.

Does anyone know if you can call the CC company and ask them to transfer money from my CC to the person's bank account?

eddie007 Jun 6th 2012 9:21 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10103114)
My pp account is blocked for no apparent reason and I'm over asking them to sort it so pp is out.

Does anyone know if you can call the CC company and ask them to transfer money from my CC to the person's bank account?

Mine was too... They (and ebay... Thank GOD) cant get over the fact I immigrated... To getround it... Get yourself a new email account and set up a pay anyone from that through paypal.....

It works:thumbsup:

paddyo Jun 6th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10103114)

Why not transfer from your CC into your bank account and then transfer that way? I have not heard of transferring into another persons account via a normal CC, but I bet someone else has!

moneypenny20 Jun 6th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10103118)
Mine was too... They (and ebay... Thank GOD) cant get over the fact I immigrated... To getround it... Get yourself a new email account and set up a pay anyone from that through paypal.....

It works:thumbsup:

I've tried. Because I only have the one bank account, I can't have another PP account using that bank account.

Icarus Jun 6th 2012 9:39 am

Pretty sure they'll need a merchant account . If they are in business of their own they will have one .

Pollyana Jun 6th 2012 9:42 am

Generally you can't, unless a person is registered to accept credit cards. My ANZ account will now let me do bank transfers direct from my credit card cos it and my bank account are linked. Until last month I had to transfer to the bank account first though.

How about withdrawing the cash from the credit card at a cashpoint, then depositing it to your bank account and transferring from there? (edited to add, if you don't want the money to go through YOUR bank account, deposit it in mine and I'll do the transfer for you :) )

Hebe Jun 6th 2012 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10103147)
Generally you can't, unless a person is registered to accept credit cards. My ANZ account will now let me do bank transfers direct from my credit card cos it and my bank account are linked. Until last month I had to transfer to the bank account first though.

How about withdrawing the cash from the credit card at a cashpoint, then depositing it to your bank account and transferring from there? (edited to add, if you don't want the money to go through YOUR bank account, deposit it in mine and I'll do the transfer for you :) )

If you withdraw cash from your credit card you will be charged interest from the date of withdrawal - it has no interest free period. not a good idea at all. Also puts you on alert to your bank as a possible high risk borrower if you withdraw cash from a credit card

moneypenny20 Jun 6th 2012 10:07 am

Fark! Why's it so freaking complicated! :eek:

Pollyana Jun 6th 2012 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Hebe (Post 10103172)
If you withdraw cash from your credit card you will be charged interest from the date of withdrawal - it has no interest free period. not a good idea at all. Also puts you on alert to your bank as a possible high risk borrower if you withdraw cash from a credit card

I know that, but at least its possible - whether its an option for MP I don't know cos I don't know who she banks with.

moneypenny20 Jun 6th 2012 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10103204)
I know that, but at least its possible - whether its an option for MP I don't know cos I don't know who she banks with.

Credit card is with Westpac. Bank account with Comm. Their account is with Comm. I'll ring Westpac in the morning. Thanks.

ozzieeagle Jun 7th 2012 3:17 am

If it's a tradesman freind, like i had here with my reno, or even someone else you know, pay a couple of their utilities bills with it, upto close to the value of what you owe them. ;)

moneypenny20 Jun 7th 2012 3:19 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 10104884)
If it's a tradesman freind, like i had here with my reno, pay a couple of their utilities bills with it ;)

That's a cool idea! :D It's all good, daughter is sorted.

ozzieeagle Jun 7th 2012 3:22 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 10104886)
That's a cool idea! :D It's all good, daughter is sorted.

Yehp, you even get rewards points that way lol :)