Drop the 'haitch'

Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drop the 'haitch'

Definately. But we mustn't loose our cool.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly, it's a matter of dialectal preference. (And isn't that good for breakfast, with ice cream?)

Here in the Caribbean, it's a very Jamaican thing, to add H to the beginning of words beginning with vowels. They just can't help themselves - any more than they can stop themselves saying "eveling" for "evening" or - sometimes; listen to Michael Holding doing a cricket commentary - "miggle" for "middle". And listen to a native of Bristol (it was formerly called Bristow) adding a final ell-sound to words that end in vowels. And to a Cockney pronouncing "middle" as "middoo". And so on.

Did I mention George Bush famously saying "nukyular". In some dialects, the K sound must be followed with a Yuh sound - in others, it's the T sound. Some people here pronounce Cuba as "Cyooba", and Tuesday as "Tyoosday"; how weird as that?
Old Jan 27th 2014, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Punctuation matters. My grandfather was a teacher, and he gave his English class the following to punctuate. It can be done so that it makes sense.

Jones had had had had had had had had had had had had more weight with the examiners.

Have a go!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Punctuation matters. My grandfather was a teacher, and he gave his English class the following to punctuate. It can be done so that it makes sense.

Jones had had had had had had had had had had had had more weight with the examiners.

Have a go!
Yes miss
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Have a go!
I'd just finished and was going to post my answer, but my dog ate my monitor.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:29 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Have a go!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_w...on_the_teacher

Key lesson for school kids - it's easier to google the answer than muck about reinventing the wheel.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I'm not looking forward to on returning to the Birmingham area - constantly being 'corrected' when spelling out my name. "Oh, you mean HAITCH!"
Old Jan 27th 2014, 11:57 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
A couple of years ago after hearing their teacher say haitch several times one of my boys told the teacher it was aitch not haitch She was fine with it but I'm not sure if she changed her ways but well done my boy anyway.
An alternative would be for your son to respect the myriad of dialects and accents that English has and not feel the need to correct those that are different. Respect the diversity.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
An alternative would be for your son to respect the myriad of dialects and accents that English has and not feel the need to correct those that are different. Respect the diversity.
I was forced to say "YO gurt" and eggplant whilst teaching at kindy here. The kiddies kept telling me I talked funny!!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GarryP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_w...on_the_teacher

Key lesson for school kids - it's easier to google the answer than muck about reinventing the wheel.
This one only has 9 hads. Easy compared to the 12 in my grandad's example!!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
There are no dialects and accents in Brisbane that I noticed. She was wrong, simple
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
This is one of my big annoyances... particularly in light of this...

I raised my child to not pronounce "aitch" as "haitch" because, I said, even though a lot of other people do it... it's wrong.

You can imagine my disgust when, at school, a teacher called it "haitch" and when my child said "my Mum says I should say "aitch" not "haitch"... the teacher says "your Mum is wrong".

WTF. Ignorant dumb-ass cow. On several levels.
It's not as bad as the sort of people who hold their knife and fork like a pen....and think they have reached the pinnacle of manners...

That is the biggest giveaway to a mediocre, if safe, upbringing.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Found out Americans (not all, haven't met 'em all) however ones I have met, say

Kway for quay
and booey for buoy

yup...

Last edited by Still Game; Jan 28th 2014 at 1:17 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 1:14 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Still Game
Found out Americans (not all, haven't met 'em all) however ones I have met, say

Kway for quay
and Booey for buoy

yup...
I've never been able to work out how you get a-LOO-min-um from aluminium

Everyone speaks funny except for me

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 28th 2014 at 1:56 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've never been able to work out how you get a-LOO-min-um from aluminium
It is a little bit puzzling isn't it

Also strange the way Canadians often actually drop the aitch from the word Herb. There is definitely an 'H' there at the start, I can see it, yet somehow it disappears...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.