Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Driving when pregnant - has anyone used the Tummy Shield?

Driving when pregnant - has anyone used the Tummy Shield?

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:12 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Question Driving when pregnant - has anyone used the Tummy Shield?

I'm 4 months pregnant and considering buying a tummy shield: https://tummyshield.com.au/default.php
I'd love some feedback from anyone who has used one of these, or knows someone who has.
Thanks! Pam
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:35 am
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving when pregnant - has anyone used the Tummy Shield?

Having had 2 children and being pregnant with number 3. I have never had a problem with the seat belt, even at 8/9 months. I tucked it under the bump and all good.

I have had a look at the website and felt very uncomfortable that they focused on the fear, before the solution. Excellent marketing tactic, but not for those cynical enough to see through.

I could not find any evidence of an Australian Standard Number, surely it must be regulated considering its a seal belt adjustment.

I also would not be comfortable using something that interfered with the integrity of a seat belt.

Initial instinct told me to run a mile and not touch it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Had 2 babies and both times I was all belly! Never had any dramas With using the seat belt as normal. I'd also agree with the PP, a lot of thought goes into the design of seat belts and I wouldn't like to mess with that.

I understand your worried but I truly believe you'd be better off spending $200 elsewhere
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:35 am

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for posting Anastasia & Louise, I really appreciate your input. It's my first baby and also I'm a learner driver. I've posted this question on a couple of baby forums as well, and also on Facebook, and will be very interested to see all the responses before making any decision about this. From my research thus far tho, I'm inclined to agree with you guys.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

I've got 5 kids & never had a problem with how the seat belt fitted.

Having said that I didn't like the tight feeling you get with recoil seat belts (& still don't) so I have one of the seat belt lock clip things attached so I can lock the belt so it's not tight (but obviously not loose as to defeat the object of the seat belt) & if I have to break suddenly then it releases it's self & locks up as normal.

I couldn't reach the seat belt once sat in the drivers seat of a car I had whilst heavily pregnant with no.4. I had to somehow hook it over the back of the seat before I got in so I could then reach it. Also to add to the problem the car had recaro seats & I had to move the seat back to be able to get in & out as my bump wouldn't fit past the steering wheel I hated that car, worst thing I've ever owned, I sold it a couple of months after my daughter arrived

Alison x
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Pam on your new bump! I would definitely be against that yoke, it forces you to sit in a most unladylike fashion!

And on a more serious note ... definitely one to make parents-to-be part with their cash... they know you want to do all the right things, here's just another "right" thing to add to your list. Two pregnancies, no probs with seat belt/bump situation (I'm 5'10" so not exactly petite )

cheers
shears
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Two pregancies and massive bump with Tiddler and I mean massive. That looks really uncomfortable and I wouldn't trust it, it doesn't look safe to me. They make it sound like the belt will be pressing tight on the baby and almost throttling it which is obviously nonsense. Stick with a normal belt and use the money to go buy yourself some luxury pampering stuff and relax.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by shears
Congrats Pam on your new bump! I would definitely be against that yoke, it forces you to sit in a most unladylike fashion!

And on a more serious note ... definitely one to make parents-to-be part with their cash... they know you want to do all the right things, here's just another "right" thing to add to your list. Two pregnancies, no probs with seat belt/bump situation (I'm 5'10" so not exactly petite )

cheers
shears
Thanks for congrats Shears Think you may be right, it is another addition to that list of things that the mags say I MUST have in order to be a good / happy / successful parent, when in reality is not really necessary...like forking out vast wads of cash to make a cast of my bump, which imo is the weirdest thing I ever heard of but each to their own and that's a whole other topic On a serious note tho, they don't try and scare you into a belly cast, unlike the Tummy Shield ads, and the more I feedback I get on this product the less I like. Thinking now that the $200 much better spent on nappies
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Stick with a normal belt and use the money to go buy yourself some luxury pampering stuff and relax.
Cheers MP and I get what you're saying. Money tight tho so any money not spent on this will be going on practical things not luxuries. Bummer! It pisses me off that ads like those on the TS site prey on people like me who are a bit anxious about stuff like this and who therefore consider forking out all that money because our fears are encouraged, and we only want to do the best for our child Anyways I'm glad I posted in a few places and got some good feedback before making an impulse, hormone-driven purchase
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PamE
Thanks for congrats Shears Think you may be right, it is another addition to that list of things that the mags say I MUST have in order to be a good / happy / successful parent, when in reality is not really necessary...like forking out vast wads of cash to make a cast of my bump, which imo is the weirdest thing I ever heard of but each to their own and that's a whole other topic On a serious note tho, they don't try and scare you into a belly cast, unlike the Tummy Shield ads, and the more I feedback I get on this product the less I like. Thinking now that the $200 much better spent on nappies
But then nappies are another debate in themselves - disposable or reusable? Or we could start on breast feeding or formula?

Everyone you speak to will be an expert on the right or wrong way to do things in their opinion. Every pregnancy & baby is different (having 5 I can vouch for that) so listen to what people say, smile sweetly & then do it how you want & however feels right for you!!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Alison x
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by al150n
But then nappies are another debate in themselves - disposable or reusable? Or we could start on breast feeding or formula?

Everyone you speak to will be an expert on the right or wrong way to do things in their opinion. Every pregnancy & baby is different (having 5 I can vouch for that) so listen to what people say, smile sweetly & then do it how you want & however feels right for you!!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Alison x
Thanks Alison, good advice I've quickly learned that there are conflicting (and surprisingly strong!) opinions on just about every aspect of pregnancy, birth and childcare...at first it freaked me out a bit and I worried I'd just get more and more confused and never get it right. Now I've come to realise that for most of this stuff there is no right or wrong way, I just need to do what sits right with me and works for me. I will indeed endeavour to keep smiling sweetly, albeit thru gritted teeth at times
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
Thanks Alison, good advice I've quickly learned that there are conflicting (and surprisingly strong!) opinions on just about every aspect of pregnancy, birth and childcare...at first it freaked me out a bit and I worried I'd just get more and more confused and never get it right. Now I've come to realise that for most of this stuff there is no right or wrong way, I just need to do what sits right with me and works for me. I will indeed endeavour to keep smiling sweetly, albeit thru gritted teeth at times
Basically, as long as you have a reasonable amount of common sense you'll be fine and even without it your baby will be gorgeous. Enjoy every minute
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:02 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations.

This is a topic I have no knowledge or insight about. Just wanted to say: what a bloody weird product!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al150n
Yep. Best advice I was given too! Just do what feels right for you and bub! Congratulations! And that tummy shield looks scary!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from the other side now........with number 1 I had a very minor shunt at 32 weeks at about 5 miles an hour. The seatbelt jarring on my bump caused a small placental abruption and started a premature labour. I was on total rest for the remainder of the pregnancy and had to have someone living with me 24/7 in case it totally ruptured. Mum had to move in. Very stressful feeling like a time bomb.

For number 2 I had a seatbelt thingy that wasn't as involved or as expensive as the one you've found. It just made sure that the seatbelt stayed under the bump and it worked fine. Will see if I can find what it was...............

I wouldn't even have thought of it though until something happened personally to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.