Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Drink Driving In Australia

Drink Driving In Australia

Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:59 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving In Australia

[QUOTE=James516;4489484]there is far more social stigma you really don't hear of banned drivers continuing to drive in Oz QUOTE]

every week mate!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
you really don't hear of banned drivers continuing to drive in Oz - happens all the time in UK
You obviously live in a different Australia to me. Loads of banned drivers continue to drive. I read about it, hear it on the radio etc all the time.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:09 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turtletom
I don't know about what it's like anywhere else in Australia but i can tell you that drink driving seems to be the norm in Canberra.
In the NT recently, somebody actually challenged a conviction for drink-driving because she had been stopped by the coppers when they saw her weaving across the road (ie it wasn't at an RBT stop) and her lawyer said it was illegal to ask for a breath-test except at the scene of an accident or an RBT stop. Luckily the judge saw sense and threw it straight out. Gives you an idea of the culture though. Cheely cow and greedy bastard lawyer.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:10 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Well just got back from work and was sat looking through the window onto the road when all of a sudden a car went past with 2 tradies in (1 driving and 1 in the passenger seat) and at that precise moment they went past my vision the driver took a glug of a bottle of tooheys.
I've seen this in QLD too.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:12 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by James516
there is far more social stigma you really don't hear of banned drivers continuing to drive in Oz
I've heard of plenty. There are loads of people in the NT that are driving without licences and rego (hence no insurance) or have been banned. Traffic cops are so few and far between it's too easy to get away with.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 11:49 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

heres a new one

i spoke to a guy on friday who was lifted for dinking in a car. he wasnt driving lol, his girlfiend was. he was just sitting sipping a beer and was lifted for it
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Thats funny because i remember a group of people who all went and tested their alcohol level just to see whos the highest and then still drive home! You know just for a laugh.
OMG I just LOL in shock that people are so braindead they would do that!
Old Mar 12th 2007, 5:24 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

Just seen about 3 people driving home from work (TRADIES) drinking beer.
Old Mar 12th 2007, 8:35 am
Master of verbal pish©

Just seen about 3 people driving home from work (TRADIES) drinking beer.
they would never find their way home without one
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You obviously live in a different Australia to me. Loads of banned drivers continue to drive. I read about it, hear it on the radio etc all the time.
i would agree that loads of banned drivers continue to drive.

but i have seen way more rbts here (in brisbane) than i ever did in uk, they are out in various locations, at various times of day (i've been stopped first thing in the morning). i never once got stopped in uk - not once! so i think it's good that they are pretty hot on it. maybe it's changed in uk now tho?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:49 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by rabsody
i would agree that loads of banned drivers continue to drive.

but i have seen way more rbts here (in brisbane) than i ever did in uk, they are out in various locations, at various times of day (i've been stopped first thing in the morning). i never once got stopped in uk - not once! so i think it's good that they are pretty hot on it. maybe it's changed in uk now tho?
RBTs in the city yes, but think about what happens outside the cities. No RBTs there, little chance of getting caught so work out the rest .....
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
RBTs in the city yes, but think about what happens outside the cities. No RBTs there, little chance of getting caught so work out the rest .....
no, not just the city in my experience, i have been stopped out in the burbs where i live too (about 10kms out of city). i've probably been stopped about 3 or 4 times in the past 7 years but also been a passenger when other drivers have been stopped too (also in various locations).
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I've heard of plenty. There are loads of people in the NT that are driving without licences and rego (hence no insurance) or have been banned. Traffic cops are so few and far between it's too easy to get away with.
the problem is all the traffic cops are out catching people going 5kms over the speed limit while hiding in bushes at the bottom of hills.

if they actually used cops for policing the roads, it would be a much safer strategy IMHO.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:56 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by rabsody
no, not just the city in my experience, i have been stopped out in the burbs where i live too (about 10kms out of city). i've probably been stopped about 3 or 4 times in the past 7 years but also been a passenger when other drivers have been stopped too (also in various locations).
By outside the city I meant more than 10km

I've never been stopped here but I was stopped at an RBT once in the UK. I've been brethalysed a few times when being stopped because either a) I was speeding or b) it was late and the copper was bored.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

By outside the city I meant more than 10km

I've never been stopped here but I was stopped at an RBT once in the UK. I've been brethalysed a few times when being stopped because either a) I was speeding or b) it was late and the copper was bored.
agreed, if you lived out in woop woop then it would be highly unlikely you'd get stopped.

another element to this thread is the actual vehicle safety. the amount of 'bombs' you see driving around - as they don't have to do an MOT how do you know the vehicle is in a roadworthy state?!!!