Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Drink Driving In Australia

Drink Driving In Australia

Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:16 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving In Australia

Originally Posted by vicsa
same here in QLD all drink & drive - no need for it & the motorway driving, i get home fuming most nights all lanes going 100km as they just think "oh today i will stay in lane 3" and road hog all the way home - i checked & the motorways are supposed to run like ours with overtake on outside but that dont happen - gosh what a whinging pom i am!
I don't drink and drive....
Old Mar 5th 2007, 3:39 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly seems to be a very high amount of drink drivers here in Brisbane. Last time I came to an RBT there were already about a dozen cars in the compound (only been there 20 minutes) and this was on a Monday night.

Drink driving certainly does not hold the same stigma it does in the UK I think the punishments need to be much higher.

Originally Posted by turtletom
I don't know about what it's like anywhere else in Australia but i can tell you that drink driving seems to be the norm in Canberra.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:57 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Certainly seems to be a very high amount of drink drivers here in Brisbane. Last time I came to an RBT there were already about a dozen cars in the compound (only been there 20 minutes) and this was on a Monday night.

Drink driving certainly does not hold the same stigma it does in the UK I think the punishments need to be much higher.
Oh, I totally agree. I've often seen the careless, reckless, irresponsible, selfish and downright f*****g ignorant drivers that you refer to, on my travels. Not being able to keep the car between two white lines spaced wide enough to accommodate a landing 747 is normally quite a giveaway, I find.....

These people aren't worth a pot of piss in my opinion and the quicker they find a slippery coastal road Z-bend the better...
Old Mar 5th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I drove in UK for about 15 years, and was never breathalysed once.
In 6 years here, I have been tested about 8 times (once going in a remote part of WA and again coming back 3 minutes later with my carton of milk!).

Last time I was breath tested was on my way to the hospital on my due date...pretty obvious I was not drinking but the young policeman and I had a nice chat about babies!
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:29 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely more socially acceptable here. The attitude to it is similar to the UK in about the mid-'80s before the onslaught of the "Don't drink and drive" campaigns really started. It was a fairly slow process, but it's up there with the really serious crimes now. I was at a party on Sunday - couple on a five acre block had invited various folks round for a pig roast. I watched most of the men drink constantly from the moment they arrived. Then they all loaded up their wives and kids in the car and drove home. I'm certainly not a perfect driver, I have a heavy right foot, but I never drink and drive - haven't done it ever. Didn't do it in the UK, wouldn't do it here. I've been breath-tested three times since we got here and I've seen RBT blocks about another five times, but wasn't stopped. They are trying, but until it has the same stigma that it does in the UK, the cops are on a hiding to nothing.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 11:37 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's definitely more socially acceptable here. The attitude to it is similar to the UK in about the mid-'80s before the onslaught of the "Don't drink and drive" campaigns really started. It was a fairly slow process, but it's up there with the really serious crimes now. I was at a party on Sunday - couple on a five acre block had invited various folks round for a pig roast. I watched most of the men drink constantly from the moment they arrived. Then they all loaded up their wives and kids in the car and drove home. I'm certainly not a perfect driver, I have a heavy right foot, but I never drink and drive - haven't done it ever. Didn't do it in the UK, wouldn't do it here. I've been breath-tested three times since we got here and I've seen RBT blocks about another five times, but wasn't stopped. They are trying, but until it has the same stigma that it does in the UK, the cops are on a hiding to nothing.
You are right about the stigma.
Back in the 70's my Dad would happily drink all night then drive back from where ever with me in the back (no seatbelt).
Last year at a do I went to, one of the girls was really drunk and intending to drive home. Someone took her keys off her and we all had a whip round for a cab home. Most people were genuinely shocked that she would even consider it.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:47 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

Well just got back from work and was sat looking through the window onto the road when all of a sudden a car went past with 2 tradies in (1 driving and 1 in the passenger seat) and at that precise moment they went past my vision the driver took a glug of a bottle of tooheys.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 4:58 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turtletom
Well just got back from work and was sat looking through the window onto the road when all of a sudden a car went past with 2 tradies in (1 driving and 1 in the passenger seat) and at that precise moment they went past my vision the driver took a glug of a bottle of tooheys.
yeh, i see this every friday mostly
something i have never seen in the uk, not saying that it doesnt go on because it will. i just havent seen it.
since i moved here i have seen it hundreds of times
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:01 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

Yeah same here! Its absolutley shocking.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:17 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely worse here. I am amazed at how many of my friends will drink and drive and that was never the case in the UK. I am not saying it doesn't happen there, just that I don't know anyone would would do it, particularly not in a built up area.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:22 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Talking on your mobile phone is just as dangerous as drink driving.
How many of you do that.........
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:44 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Not me........nobody calls me the bloody phone never rings I dont know why I have it!

But your right.......again another huge problem in Brisbane!

Originally Posted by themerlin
Talking on your mobile phone is just as dangerous as drink driving.
How many of you do that.........
Old Mar 6th 2007, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
yeh, i see this every friday mostly
something i have never seen in the uk, not saying that it doesnt go on because it will. i just havent seen it.
since i moved here i have seen it hundreds of times
Well, strictly speaking, drinking a can or a bottle of Tooheys whilst driving isn't illegal. Provided its only his first (or maybe second at worst) of the day.

But it does make you think that it very probably isn't their first or second or third or....
Old Mar 6th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

It's far more prevalent in the UK than in Oz. In Oz, the limit is lower (0.05 comapred to 0.08 in UK), there are random breath tests, there is far more social stigma (you really don't hear of banned drivers continuing to drive in Oz - happens all the time in UK), there are loads more traffic cops (in UK almost all traffic enforcement is moving to cameras, which don't pick up DDs).

Drinking establishments in Oz make it easier to keep under the limit - loads of light and mid-strength 'Gold' beer that simply doesn't exist in UK. Nightclubs and pubs have coin-operated 'test your breath' machines - I've never seen one in the UK.

Finally, Oz people tend to drink heavily at house parties and stay the night, whereas in the UK people do that at pubs, and then have to get home somehow...
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:44 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

Thats funny because i remember a group of people who all went and tested their alcohol level just to see whos the highest and then still drive home! You know just for a laugh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.