Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Drink Driving In Australia

Drink Driving In Australia

Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:48 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drink Driving In Australia

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
Aye, and it is IMHO much more prevalent amongst the young people here in Brisbane than their counterparts in the UK.

I guess the road toll here in Australia speaks volumes.
i think its just that you hear of more of the young ones getting caught. theres a much higher chance of them being pulled over.

about 80% of the people that i see are over 40
this is not all over oz but just in the gold coast area
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:53 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

Yes they do brag about it. I have been told certaqin ways to drive home if i have had 2 much to drink (which i would never ever do and never ever have) Its cool to drink and drive i think. Its the new in.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 3:55 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turtletom
Yes they do brag about it. I have been told certaqin ways to drive home if i have had 2 much to drink (which i would never ever do and never ever have) Its cool to drink and drive i think. Its the new in.
i was watching the telly here once and they were doing a big thing about drinking then driving. they had and expert on telling people that they could have two drinks then one every other hour

people here think this is true and cant understan why they are over the limit
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:39 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by soapy
i was watching the telly here once and they were doing a big thing about drinking then driving. they had and expert on telling people that they could have two drinks then one every other hour

Aye, it only works if they are double whiskys but. :-)
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:15 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

i think its just that you hear of more of the young ones getting caught. theres a much higher chance of them being pulled over.

about 80% of the people that i see are over 40
this is not all over oz but just in the gold coast area
I'd agree with you, R. I think that drink driving here is more culturally acceptable. While there are drunk drivers both here and in the UK, it seems to be more the norm here.

And it's certainly not just p-platers hooning about. There are 8 people in my office. Two of the older chaps (in their fifties/sixties) regularly drink and drive after office drinks. After one leaving do, one of the blokes was so drunk he crashed his car on the way home. He was lucky that it was only minor and nobody was hurt. Has it been a wake-up call to him? No.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:18 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicsa
same here in QLD all drink & drive - no need for it & the motorway driving, i get home fuming most nights all lanes going 100km as they just think "oh today i will stay in lane 3" and road hog all the way home - i checked & the motorways are supposed to run like ours with overtake on outside but that dont happen - gosh what a whinging pom i am!
I pressume the speed limit is 100km/h so whats the problem. They take up all three lanes and break the law by not keeping left, or you break the law by speeding. Whats the difference??
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - 2 "drinks" in the first hour then one thereafter for males. 1 drink in the first hour and 1 per hour thereafter for females.

The definition of "drink" is one unit which is 8 grams of alcohol . ie half a pint of beer. So, a bloke drinking a pint an hour is drinking double the recommended to remain below the blood alcohol limit. A pint of cider has 4 units.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:40 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I'd agree with you, R. I think that drink driving here is more culturally acceptable. While there are drunk drivers both here and in the UK, it seems to be more the norm here.

And it's certainly not just p-platers hooning about. There are 8 people in my office. Two of the older chaps (in their fifties/sixties) regularly drink and drive after office drinks. After one leaving do, one of the blokes was so drunk he crashed his car on the way home. He was lucky that it was only minor and nobody was hurt. Has it been a wake-up call to him? No.
they never learn. most people go right back to their car after getting out of the lock up. it scares the shit out of me.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:50 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yes - 2 "drinks" in the first hour then one thereafter for males. 1 drink in the first hour and 1 per hour thereafter for females.

The definition of "drink" is one unit which is 8 grams of alcohol . ie half a pint of beer. So, a bloke drinking a pint an hour is drinking double the recommended to remain below the blood alcohol limit. A pint of cider has 4 units.
i see this as the problem here. if you dont have a drink and drive you are fine.
but a lot of people cant add when they have been drinking lol

an hour and 15 mins becomes an hour lol then they have had a few and think one for the road.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

i see this as the problem here. if you dont have a drink and drive you are fine.
but a lot of people cant add when they have been drinking lol

an hour and 15 mins becomes an hour lol then they have had a few and think one for the road.
lol - yes, you are right
Old Mar 4th 2007, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

they never learn. most people go right back to their car after getting out of the lock up. it scares the shit out of me.
I read constantly of people being stopped repeatedly on the same night for drink driving. What the hell are they doing giving people back their car keys when they are still pissed?

Am I missing something? I thought in the UK you cold be done for drunk driving if you were in possesion of your car keys while over the limit. Okay thinking about that one, it might be a myth, but still, releasing someone from a police station while they are still over the limit and giving them their keys back is just asking them to do it again surely?

JTL
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:33 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I read constantly of people being stopped repeatedly on the same night for drink driving. What the hell are they doing giving people back their car keys when they are still pissed?

Am I missing something? I thought in the UK you cold be done for drunk driving if you were in possesion of your car keys while over the limit. Okay thinking about that one, it might be a myth, but still, releasing someone from a police station while they are still over the limit and giving them their keys back is just asking them to do it again surely?

JTL
you are spot on mate

i remember a mate of mine in glasgow a few years ago now.
he was a taxi driver and the place of change over was at a local pub. he finished on a friday for the week and would have a few beers before heading home (on foot)
he had about 4 beers then remembered he had forgotten to gas up(oh shit im all aussie now)anyway.
he nipped outside to stick a note in the cab for the other driven, when the police turned up.
he was charged with "drunk in charge"
dont ever remember him braggin' lol
only a few close friends knew what happened that day because he was so scared people would look at him as a drunk driver.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

vicsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I pressume the speed limit is 100km/h so whats the problem. They take up all three lanes and break the law by not keeping left, or you break the law by speeding. Whats the difference??
speed limit is 110
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turtletom
I would not mind if the people that decided to drink and drive were putting their own life in danger but its not just their life its everyone else on the road.

You really should not get in the car with him then Turtletom!!! Use your own car - it is sitting just outside the house.

Surely you value your own life??

I do - I ban you from accepting a lift from him now- ok?
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
It's bizarre isnt it?

I dont think they are tough enough when they do catch people drink driving - the fines are just so pathetic nobody seems to care.

I also dont understand why they make such a fuss about seatbelts, if someone's stupid enough to not belt themselves in then why should we worry?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.