Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Domestic matter - important

Domestic matter - important

Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domestic matter - important

Originally Posted by Peepster
I'm with you Polly & Louise. I remember Mum trying to teach me how to iron when I was about 9 - never progressed beyond Dads hankies. Mr P does all ironing in our house. I love the smell of newly ironed clothes (obviously not enough to make me want to do it myself though!)
My mum taught me too. I can actually iron, used to do centre creases in my dads trousers but I just hate it!

Last edited by LouiseR; Jul 12th 2010 at 12:14 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:07 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Or, I find a quick blast with the hairdryer gets the worst of the creases out
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Polly & Louise. I remember Mum trying to teach me how to iron when I was about 9 - never progressed beyond Dads hankies. Mr P does all ironing in our house. I love the smell of newly ironed clothes (obviously not enough to make me want to do it myself though!)
I think what really put me off was the fact my mum used to iron EVERYTHING! pillowcases, hankies, underwear, you name it. If the dog stood still long enough even she was at risk! I just couldn't see the point and developed an aversion to it on the spot She tried to teach me to iron from the age of about 7, but I would escape to do more exciting things like climb trees and kick footballs.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I change my ironing board cover probs about once a year (unless the fabric tears or summink).

I don't 'do an ironing' - never did get that I find it much easier to figure out what everyone is wearing the next day and they all get ironed that night before I go to bed and all hung nicely on the dining table chairs for everyone to grab hold of in the morning
Yup. But I do all my shirts for the week in one go now.

I whack all my shirts in the cold wash for 15mins - with a thimble of detergent - they don't need any more - it's not like I've spunked all over them - get them out - iron them and add the collar stiffeners so I don't forget in the morning, or run out of time, which is one of my pet hates.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think what really put me off was the fact my mum used to iron EVERYTHING! pillowcases, hankies, underwear, you name it. If the dog stood still long enough even she was at risk! I just couldn't see the point and developed an aversion to it on the spot She tried to teach me to iron from the age of about 7, but I would escape to do more exciting things like climb trees and kick footballs.
My old dear used to have one which was effing useless. I reckon it only had a cord to plug in so that you felt you were getting a good crease. A mental thing. It was a real bum steer that one.

But then she was the sort of person who made her own clothes and wore Huskies. Not much of a shopper.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:15 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

...and where the bloody chuffing hell have you been young lady?
I know, it's been ages! It wasn't a flounce off though, just work going mental. Am back now, bring on the filth, yay!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:16 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yup. But I do all my shirts for the week in one go now.

I whack all my shirts in the cold wash for 15mins - with a thimble of detergent - they don't need any more - it's not like I've spunked all over them - get them out - iron them and add the collar stiffeners so I don't forget in the morning, or run out of time, which is one of my pet hates.
Right little domestic goddess aint ya?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Right little domestic goddess aint ya?
Bet he's even got a maid's outfit
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:19 pm
Random Member

A thimble?? Do you really own a thimble Badge?

Does that mean you can sew too? I can't. In fact I don't even know how to sew a button on properly, terrible innit
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bet he's even got a maid's outfit
Haven't we all?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Does that mean you can sew too? I can't. In fact I don't even know how to sew a button on properly, terrible innit
Oh God I can't either! My sewing goes to my mother in law. I'm not a very good wife to be honest, I don't cook, iron, sew or clean!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:22 pm
Random Member

Originally Posted by LouiseR
Haven't we all?
Strictly special occasions!!!

(In my house there just never seems to be an occasion quite special enough anymore )
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thimble-sized. (Stop sniggering at the back....do you have something to share? Uranus - I'm looking at you...)

Nope. Well, I once made a pillowcase aged 10 and it was super-straight. I can do back-stitch and make simple repairs. I carried a housewife sewing kit in my 'fighting order' but never used it.

Oh God I can't either! My sewing goes to my mother in law. I'm not a very good wife to be honest, I don't cook, iron, sew or clean!
I'm tipping when you are blessed with looks like yours, you don't need to Wash, Iron or Et Cetera to keep a husband.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

I can do buttons just about, anything more technical than that gives me problems though!

My cooking is totally random, strange concoctions that come under the heading of "stew" are my favourites I'm ok at roast dinners though, thats something my mum DID manage to teach me. Cleaning is done as fast as possibly when I cant put it off any longer, and usually just before the rental agent's inspection. I'm the only one living there mind, so it doesn't really matter
Old Jul 12th 2010, 12:32 pm
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'm tipping when you are blessed with looks like yours, you don't need to Wash, Iron or Et Cetera to keep a husband.
I guess that's why I can do it all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.