British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Doing "That" trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/doing-trip-868585/)

ozzieeagle Dec 17th 2015 5:49 am

Re: Doing "That" trip

My dad is being very philosophical about it all. He is saying stuff though that is obvious yet worrying.... Reckons he'll have falls in the next year or two... he walks with a frame and/or sticks and gets giddy often. Says that the ambos will get fed up with picking him up and insist he gets shoved off to a nursing home. So not sure what he has in mind with this.... especially as he wanted my brother and I to take him to Switzerland for that voluntary stuff almost 10 years back.

Does anyone know if he can choose to be in a Nursing home in Milton Keynes rather than Rhyl as we have something like 60 family members down there now. He is also the last of his generation and would get heaps of visitors.... IMO.

My Brother wants to try this and I said it to my dad... but he reckons no way would they let him. That made me very very sad indeed.

moneypenny20 Dec 17th 2015 6:35 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11815983)
My dad is being very philosophical about it all. He is saying stuff though that is obvious yet worrying.... Reckons he'll have falls in the next year or two... he walks with a frame and/or sticks and gets giddy often. Says that the ambos will get fed up with picking him up and insist he gets shoved off to a nursing home. So not sure what he has in mind with this.... especially as he wanted my brother and I to take him to Switzerland for that voluntary stuff almost 10 years back.

Does anyone know if he can choose to be in a Nursing home in Milton Keynes rather than Rhyl as we have something like 60 family members down there now. He is also the last of his generation and would get heaps of visitors.... IMO.

My Brother wants to try this and I said it to my dad... but he reckons no way would they let him. That made me very very sad indeed.

Obviously don't know for a fact but I can't see why not especially as it makes perfect sense. Would it be totally Council or would he be financing with sale of house? Definitely look into it whilst you're there. Huge relief for you and your brother if he could.

ozzieeagle Dec 17th 2015 6:46 am

He sold his house before he moved into this council run "Maes" place....not sure if they would want a contribution from his private pension or capitol......I think "Maes" means care facility in Welsh....:confused:

Pollyana Dec 19th 2015 3:37 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11816011)
He sold his house before he moved into this council run "Maes" place....not sure if they would want a contribution from his private pension or capitol......I think "Maes" means care facility in Welsh....:confused:

No, its just the name they've used for the home. "Maes" is "Field" :)

ozzieeagle Dec 19th 2015 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 11817400)
No, its just the name they've used for the home. "Maes" is "Field" :)

Right... It's just a few of those places around here start with the word Maes....

Pollyana Dec 19th 2015 11:40 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11817474)
Right... It's just a few of those places around here start with the word Maes....

Very common as a Welsh placename, for instance Maes Gwyn - translates as White Meadow, or White Field. Plas Gwyn - White House - we're simple folk when it comes to names;)

asher Dec 22nd 2015 5:19 am

sorry for your loss
my dad just had a stroke and I have just returned from the uk
the best sim I found was 3 if the coverage is ok in your area .
buy 20 pounds credit convert it to the add on 20 and it gives you all you can eat data and loads of phone and text more than you can use really.

yes ask for a transfer to local authority run home in MK contact social services say since death of his wife he has more family up there and won't be so isolated especially with you in Oz should work good luck

ozzieeagle Dec 22nd 2015 9:09 am

Originally Posted by asher (Post 11819261)
sorry for your loss
my dad just had a stroke and I have just returned from the uk
the best sim I found was 3 if the coverage is ok in your area .
buy 20 pounds credit convert it to the add on 20 and it gives you all you can eat data and loads of phone and text more than you can use really.

yes ask for a transfer to local authority run home in MK contact social services say since death of his wife he has more family up there and won't be so isolated especially with you in Oz should work good luck

Cheers Asher :)