British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Doing "That" trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/doing-trip-868585/)

ozzieeagle Nov 29th 2015 6:21 am

Doing "That" trip

Sadly have to go to the UK in a few hours, I dont want to bang on about it. My Mother unexpectedly died 2 days ago. She had a great innings and we all thought it would be my Father that went first. Luckily for her, she did and she went quickly and without pain.... Well except for the rest of us. But in hindsight this is probably a good outcome from her point of view.

Still just two things I'd like please and fairly quickly... bits of info. How to I get from terminal 3 at LHR to Terminal 5 as I'm going from London to Manchester... Then onto Rhyl. Secondly what is the best local sim card with plenty of data and overseas calls for communicating with family back here.... oh the prefix I use for dialing aus would be good as well. What do I put in front of a Melbourne no say 03-9355-8888 ? or 0400 000000

Need to know in the next couple of hours thanks. As I take off from Melbourne tonight at 11.25 pm.

Hasn't even begun to sink in yet..... I've got over 7 weeks planned in the UK.. and I can stay longer or come back sooner by phoning the airline apparently.

Not looking forwards to being away from my wife and local family here... first time I've spent xmas away from my wife since 1977.

quiltman Nov 29th 2015 7:02 am

Re: Doing "That" trip

so sorry to hear about your Mum, but as you say sometimes it's better this way.

The dialling code for Aus is + 63 . So in UK thats 00 63 then leave off the leading zero of the Aus number. Your example then becomes 00 63 3 9355 8888.
Don't know about best SIM card - there's loads of them! you'll have to do a bit of checking but Giff Gaff gets good reports.

From T3 to T5 at Heathrow there are shuttle buses , or you can take the tube. It's all well signposted and there are info desks in each terminal to help you.
Sorry for your sad trip , but enjoy being basck with your Dad for a while. Oh, all my relatives come from around Rhyl - Greenfield, St Asaph, Holywell.

ozzieeagle Nov 29th 2015 7:11 am

Great that sets my mind at ease Quiltman :) Thanks very much.

Beoz Nov 29th 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 11804403)
so sorry to hear about your Mum, but as you say sometimes it's better this way.

The dialling code for Aus is + 63 . So in UK thats 00 63 then leave off the leading zero of the Aus number. Your example then becomes 00 63 3 9355 8888.
Don't know about best SIM card - there's loads of them! you'll have to do a bit of checking but Giff Gaff gets good reports.

From T3 to T5 at Heathrow there are shuttle buses , or you can take the tube. It's all well signposted and there are info desks in each terminal to help you.
Sorry for your sad trip , but enjoy being basck with your Dad for a while. Oh, all my relatives come from around Rhyl - Greenfield, St Asaph, Holywell.

+64

Sorry to hear about your mum Ozzie.

Three does some deals on the international stuff but not sure if it meets your requirements.

bakedbean Nov 29th 2015 7:44 am

Just to give you a big Cyberhug, ozzieeagle, even though I don't know you ;)

I experienced a loss nearly 3 months ago and it takes a while to adjust, and not to mention all the legal stuff which goes on and on and on.

Take Care and Chin up.

goldchoccycoin Nov 29th 2015 7:45 am

Sorry for your loss.

The dialling code is +61 (+64 is NZ and I have no idea what +63 is?).

So from a UK phone it's 00 61 3 etc. or 00 61 400 etc.

Tube is dead easy from T3 to T5 - as stated well signposted and simple even after a long flight.

rasen78 Nov 29th 2015 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11804394)
Sadly have to go to the UK in a few hours, I dont want to bang on about it. My Mother unexpectedly died 2 days ago. She had a great innings and we all thought it would be my Father that went first. Luckily for her, she did and she went quickly and without pain.... Well except for the rest of us. But in hindsight this is probably a good outcome from her point of view.

Still just two things I'd like please and fairly quickly... bits of info. How to I get from terminal 3 at LHR to Terminal 5 as I'm going from London to Manchester... Then onto Rhyl. Secondly what is the best local sim card with plenty of data and overseas calls for communicating with family back here.... oh the prefix I use for dialing aus would be good as well. What do I put in front of a Melbourne no say 03-9355-8888 ? or 0400 000000

Need to know in the next couple of hours thanks. As I take off from Melbourne tonight at 11.25 pm.

Hasn't even begun to sink in yet..... I've got over 7 weeks planned in the UK.. and I can stay longer or come back sooner by phoning the airline apparently.

Not looking forwards to being away from my wife and local family here... first time I've spent xmas away from my wife since 1977.

So sorry to hear you news Ozzie. It is a tough journey to make, especially without your own family with you. I hope you can make the best of the situation with your trip there. ((()))

Kiwikaye Nov 29th 2015 8:18 am

Hi Ozzie, so sorry to hear about your mum.

Just a correction, the dialing code for Australia is +61 not +63.

Hope that helps.

(Sorry, duplicating above post which updated on me. Sorry!)

Kaye

old.sparkles Nov 29th 2015 8:59 am

So sorry to hear about your loss OE :(

Can't add anything to advice already given except if you both have iphones, facetime and messages are free where you have an internet connection. The alternative would be Skype or messenger (you can make phone calls through messenger but not sure on video calls).

Alfresco Nov 29th 2015 9:03 am

All the best. Sad indeed. Hope it all goes well for you over there.

Kim67 Nov 29th 2015 9:04 am

Condolences for the loss of your mum Ozzie. I hope your trip is a safe one and you're home to your wife for a post Christmas hug as soon as possible.

northernbird Nov 29th 2015 9:07 am

Sorry to hear your news, it is indeed the call we all dread. As others have said +61 3 XXXXXX or +61 4XX xxxxxx for mobiles. I haven't travelled from T3 to T5 but you seem to have got your answers there.

Hope your trip goes as well as it can do.

paulry Nov 29th 2015 9:12 am

Sorry about your loss, mate. Have a safe journey home

fish.01 Nov 29th 2015 10:26 am

Be thinking about you mate. Let us know how you are when you can.

moneypenny20 Nov 29th 2015 11:27 am

Huge sympathies E. Safe flight and remember the good times. Also be thankful that she went fast and relatively painlessly. Just totally shit for you and the rest of the family. Take care. Oh and if you meet up with your cousin, give her a slap ;)