Dog Help Please!

Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dog Help Please!

My two dogs were playing this morning and the bigger one had hold of the smaller ones collar like they usually do when all hell broke loose!The collar some how got in the smaller dogs mouth and the other dog could not let go and there was teeth and dogs eveywhere.I did not know at the time what collar it was and got one off and was trying to get the other one off when I got bitten by accident then they freed themselves!

Sorry if that was a bit long winded but the question is the 5 month old puppy was being choked and has tried to be sick and is panting a lot.She has a bit of blood in her teeth but I have thought the best thing is to let her have a sleep somewhere quite.She has calmed down and seems a lot better.Do you think this is the best thing to do?I am also a bit scared of it happening again do I keep their collars off until they are a bit older?

It has helped typing this out anyway I was shaking like a leaf!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:01 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dog Help Please!

Originally Posted by petensue
My two dogs were playing this morning and the bigger one had hold of the smaller ones collar like they usually do when all hell broke loose!The collar some how got in the smaller dogs mouth and the other dog could not let go and there was teeth and dogs eveywhere.I did not know at the time what collar it was and got one off and was trying to get the other one off when I got bitten by accident then they freed themselves!

Sorry if that was a bit long winded but the question is the 5 month old puppy was being choked and has tried to be sick and is panting a lot.She has a bit of blood in her teeth but I have thought the best thing is to let her have a sleep somewhere quite.She has calmed down and seems a lot better.Do you think this is the best thing to do?I am also a bit scared of it happening again do I keep their collars off until they are a bit older?

The tissue around the neck of a dog is pretty sensitive. This is why people who jerk dogs around with their leads can cause some serious damage.
It's highly likely that the incident has caused some internal abbraision to the inside of the neck or possibly the mouth. The windpipe is in that front part of the dog's neck so if I were you, I'd take the puppy up to the vet and get it checked out, especially if it's not breathing clearly.

I think you should ask your vet for advice about the collars... but you can get a dog harness, pictured below, which will allow you to dispense with the collar completely if you don't wish to continue using one.
The harness also doubles as a car seat belt for a dog too. Ask at your pet shop or RSPCA shop, who I know stock them.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:32 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

OUCH

Our 2 only wear the collars when we are out walking them. Collars are far too dangerous on unsupervised dogs, they could easily catch it and hang themselves, or get in to a right state panicing to get free.

Hope the puppy is OK
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.That harness looks a lot better than the one we had before and my poor dog would run away at the sight of it as it made her armpits sore!It is also handy if it doubles up as a car seat belt.

I find it handy to have a collar on the bigger dog as when people come round it is handy to grab hold of it as we put her in another room.But after seeing that I think I will do what you do and only put a collar on or maybe a harness when we go out.

Daisy is more like her old self now though looks very miserable though that is nothing new a she has that sort of face!I was trying to keep her quite and my four year old squeaked a squeaky ball and that was it she was there!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:56 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

I find it handy to have a collar on the bigger dog as when people come round it is handy to grab hold of it as we put her in another room.But after seeing that I think I will do what you do and only put a collar on or maybe a harness when we go out.
I know that feeling - our pair get so excited when we get visitors. They scared a few trick or treaters off last year. Just keep a collar by the door for when needed. We used to have a laminated sign on the door apologizing for the delay in answering as we were training a new dog.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I never put collars on my two.....only when they go ou, mainly because I feel it is too hot to have something rubbing around your neck in 40 degrees heat. Hope your dogs are ok!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Suggest keeping collars off, make sure they are microchipped though
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:58 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

As my dog is out during the day, I keep a soft fabric collar on him as our local council say all dogs must have a collar with a tag on plus a council rego disc.

He did have a leather collar which he chewed and this soft fabric collar is much better for him.

In the event of him jumping my fence, if he had no collar on then the microchip in his neck would only take his details as far as SAFE in Perth who sometimes are hard to contact - all SAFE dogs have the microchips registered to SAFE.

So for me, I feel safer keeping a collar on my dog with my details on.