Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:42 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

Not literally of course!! but you know what I mean..

I love it here (no?! really! LOL!) and one of the major reasons is the nature.. not just the views etc, but the birds and creatures etc etc..

Today I was driving to Coles and went around the roundabout and an entire family of ducks with ducklings en-situ were waddling across the road (was a back road)... I put on the hazard lights and blocked the road (haha! am being a lollypop lady here!) and another car pulled up and we sat there grinning at each other watching this entire family waddle slowly across! Cheered me up no end.. if only I had a camera on me!

Love the big big birds... saw some fantastic eagles whilst we were travelling up WA on highway 1... never seen anything like it before.. totally wild in their own environment... we see other birds up here on the coast, at a guess I think they are Kestrels but I am not an avid birdwatcher so wouldnt know..

Em x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doesnt the nature here just knock you out?!!

The sound of the magpies makes me smile, except at mating season when they started screaching through the night. LOL.
The parrots flying around too, always cheers me up.

And who wouldn't be excited when you see a koala or kangaroo?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:46 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

we see other birds up here on the coast, at a guess I think they are Kestrels but I am not an avid birdwatcher so wouldnt know..

Em x[/QUOTE]

Kestrels are my favourite bird - there are lots where we live- they are common all over Oz . They are approx 310-350 mm in length. they are the birds that you may see hovering in one spot about 10-15 metres in the air before swooping down to get a closer look at their prey

ps Ems hows the panda eyes?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by squeezzii
we see other birds up here on the coast, at a guess I think they are Kestrels but I am not an avid birdwatcher so wouldnt know..

Em x
Ems hows the panda eyes?[/QUOTE]

Yeah better thanks! haha!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Our local bl**dy koel is knocking me out literally - it's disrupting my beauty sleep and just when it shuts up the cockies start up. I'm more of a little bird person - blue wrens are gorgeous and scarlet robins are super and I can watch pardalotes for ages skittering around the bush.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:38 am
Account Closed

The blue and green and red parrots (not sure of correct name?) are wonderful... when we staying in Sydney they came right up to our daughter as she fed them grapes and chopped apples... we don't see many here (well, there are some but not in the flocks as we have seen them in other parts of Australia)...

You know? I never thought I'd be a bird person but I am... !

Em x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:55 am
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

The birds are beautiful (if somewhat noisy!). I love the countryside...even the barren wastes of the desert.

Still, here in the UK I often see some lovely wildlife although not as exotic. Remember my first day in the village....walking down the road only to see a chicken walking out of the local pub! Wish I had a camera!

...oh, and it was walking...not staggering!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

They take the piss out of me at work....we'll be walking along to the cafe for our morning coffee& I'll stop dead and bend over.....most of the time I'll be looking at an ant.....they fascinate me....the big ones especially....so many different ones....saw one the other day with a yellow stripe on it's back bit....seen others that look like they are walking on stilts lol.....

They think I'm nuts!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:09 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

yep its the best, we've seen two wedge tail eagles today eating road kill, we just slowed the car and watched them .. awesome
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We are really lucky where we live, we have the white cockatoos, the galahs, black cockatoos, no:28's and the lorikeets.

I did see a few large white birds with reddish marking on its chest - wasnt a cockie, but about as big - dont know what that one was?

We get the kookaburras and I love that sound - amazing.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We are really lucky where we live, we have the white cockatoos, the galahs, black cockatoos, no:28's and the lorikeets.

I did see a few large white birds with reddish marking on its chest - wasnt a cockie, but about as big - dont know what that one was?

We get the kookaburras and I love that sound - amazing.
We had a Kookaburra on the fence next to our kitchen window.. I nearly jumped out of my skin.. it was that loud I thought an ape had broken into the house!

Em x
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

I love the fact that in our garden, we often get wallabies, echidna, possums, a large goanna, pythons, red belly blacks, (and browns/king browns which isn't so good admitedly) frogs, bush turkeys and a huge range of other birds. I love waking up to the magpies, whipbirds, butcherbirds, friarbirds and currawongs. Quite pleased we don't seem to have a resident sulphur crested cockatoo population though! The yellow tailed black cockatoos are far more melodic... I love the crickets and frog sounds (ok maybe not the green tree frogs) at night and I actually like the cicadas during the day too.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 10:42 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it sure does! My dh and I spent a merry half an hour watching the "flamin' galahs" wheeling in the sky at the weekend!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emelems
We had a Kookaburra on the fence next to our kitchen window.. I nearly jumped out of my skin.. it was that loud I thought an ape had broken into the house!

Em x
kookaburra's are the most gorgeous birds ever, a bird place near my mums has 4 of them and i can stand for hours looking at them. I love the noise they make too.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:19 am
Account Closed

I went out on our verandah the other week and I thought there was something like the electricity pylon was down because the sound was so intense.. like electricity going thru a cable only so loud it really was intense on my ears...

OH went out to investigate and there was a small insect about the size of OH thumb creating all this noise.. I had to shut the doors!!! Love it!

Em x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.