Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does it piss you off when...

Does it piss you off when...

Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Does it piss you off when...

someone is talking about the UK and they say XYZ happens in England. And they are talking about Scotland, Ireland or Wales....
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Does it piss you off when...

Originally Posted by brissydeb
someone is talking about the UK and they say XYZ happens in England. And they are talking about Scotland, Ireland or Wales....
don't it just
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:04 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when we get asked "Which part of England are you from?" and we reply with "WALES!!!!" :curse:
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:08 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Oh you're from England aren't you? NO I'm the Scottish one

I try and make a point of saying back in the UK and if It is something specific I will say where I used to come from.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:37 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

It pisses me off when Aussies talk about England but they only mean London. I was talking to a girl once who asked where I was from. I said Chester originally and she asked where that was. Up North I replied. To which she said she had been up north once - Maida Vale! Others didn't understand why it was difficult to get back home after a night in Coventry - the tube runs until late!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:41 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

They're not the brightest light in the building are they.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 1:42 am

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by worzel
It pisses me off when Aussies talk about England but they only mean London. I was talking to a girl once who asked where I was from. I said Chester originally and she asked where that was. Up North I replied. To which she said she had been up north once - Maida Vale! Others didn't understand why it was difficult to get back home after a night in Coventry - the tube runs until late!
Maida vale is as north as you would want to go...well maybe kilburn at a push but that's about it
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:09 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london cabbie
Maida vale is as north as you would want to go...well maybe kilburn at a push but that's about it
I have been to London 5 times in my life. They look at you like you are crazy when you tell them that. You can see them thinking - Were you held hostage by wicked step-parents for 20 years?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:15 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just people you meet day to day who do this?
In the USA even reputable print and broadcast media frequently do it.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:20 am

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

I have been to London 5 times in my life. They look at you like you are crazy when you tell them that. You can see them thinking - Were you held hostage by wicked step-parents for 20 years?
You mean you actually spoke to another human in london and made eye contact? WOW!!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

When asked where in England are you from I reply " Wales, old South Wales", they look at me and just dont seem to get it.

Amanda
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Yes it is abit weird how everyone thinks England is Scotland, Ireland and Wales too. Maybe it's because the UK means all of them. Or it used to mean that.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by flowergal
When asked where in England are you from I reply " Wales, old South Wales", they look at me and just dont seem to get it.

Amanda
Can't say i blame them!!
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We're from Herts. When first born started at her school, someone told her there was a lad from Scotland in her form - did they know each other before
Old Jul 28th 2007, 2:57 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Maida Vale? That's great.

I have to say that I'm from Chester (they wouldn't know were the flip Ellesmere Port was) and I've been asked if I'm Scottish or Irish. I tell them I'm English and it just doesn't register with them. They look at me for a couple of seconds and try and work out if I'm pulling their leg. I think they presume that if I'm really English, I should talk like a cockney geezer. "Cor blimey mate!", " Up the apples and pears" and all that bollocks.

To be fair to them though, there really isn't much of worth outside London in the UK so I can see why they think England stops and starts at London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.