Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does oz have indoor snowslopes??

Does oz have indoor snowslopes??

Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Does oz have indoor snowslopes??

Just wondering if there are any indoor snowlopes in oz particularly melbourne, brisbane area. I know there are outdoor slopes are in Victoria, but was thinking more for all year round.

Hubby has decided that he doesnt want to move to oz as he wont be able to snowboard as often, i need to use something as a sweetner to try and pursuade him!

We have spent o much money and gone through loads of stress deciding to eigrate, and now he wants to stay here to snowboard. (sure he has forgotton he is going to be out of work in a month ith this credit crunch)

fingers crossed there is one
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:23 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does oz have indoor snowslopes??

WOW

Was thinking the same thing myself only yesterday!!

Well i'll be keeping my eye on this thread now love a bit of Skiing myself

Dougie
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I think there is one in Adelaide (Mt Thebarton) and one in Coffs Harbour (Big Banana).

There aren't any in Melbourne. As you said earlier there are outdoor slopes in Vic some of which are less than 2 hours from Melbourne CBD.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:38 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badassbrickie
Just wondering if there are any indoor snowlopes in oz particularly melbourne, brisbane area. I know there are outdoor slopes are in Victoria, but was thinking more for all year round.

Hubby has decided that he doesnt want to move to oz as he wont be able to snowboard as often, i need to use something as a sweetner to try and pursuade him!

We have spent o much money and gone through loads of stress deciding to eigrate, and now he wants to stay here to snowboard. (sure he has forgotton he is going to be out of work in a month ith this credit crunch)

fingers crossed there is one
Dont think there are any indoor slopes in Oz. He will just have to make up his time with Jetskiing, waterskiing, motoX, 4x4, surfing, diving, canoeing. Or if he prefers sport, Footy, soccer, cricket, basketball etc etc

more seriously, we used to live about 10 minutes from one of the largest indoor slopes in Europe when we lived in Holland, and it was fab. Used to take my boys regularly in the middle of summer when it was quiet,but I think that there isnt enough interest to make a viable business of it in Australia.

If you live in Vic, you can get your fix in the real stuff quite easy (although pricey) and as already mentioned, find another sport to give you a buzz in the summer time.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:11 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
Dont think there are any indoor slopes in Oz. He will just have to make up his time with Jetskiing, waterskiing, motoX, 4x4, surfing, diving, canoeing. Or if he prefers sport, Footy, soccer, cricket, basketball etc etc
Nope dont think i'll be getting board in OZ!

Since partaking in a bit of Moto X and road racing of a sort in England i also fancy having a go at this when we get to OZ

Supermoto is getting really big in Europe now and i hope the intrest spreads down under also and judging by a few sites like this
http://www.supermotard.com.au/
It looks like there is quite alot going on already

Sorry bit OT

Regards

Dougie
Old Nov 16th 2008, 5:05 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

There are real ski slopes in oz, it's not all sun and heat. If you remember the standard for temperature Vs elevation. Temperature will decrease by 2 degrees celsius for each 1000ft above sea level.

So, if its +10 at sea level, there should be snow at 5000ft............ This may be a good way to know if snow happens, simply find out the highest elevation.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 5:30 am
ABCDiamond

The first commercially operated year round indoor snow ski centre in the world was opened in Adelaide, Australia in late 1988.
but:
The world's first indoor slope was Ice Arena, formerly known as Snowdome Adelaide, formerly known as Mt Thebarton Snow & Ice, in Adelaide, Australia, which has since been removed due to running costs. Closed June 2005; now only running as an ice-rink
but another website says:
The Ice Arena, Mt. Thebarton
23 East Terrace, Thebarton, Tel. 8352 7977
Ice-skating, snow skiing and tobogganing on large indoor ski slope. Equipment hire available. Open daily.
In 1992 there was one in Brisbane which had a 4 month trial period, but does not appear to have continued.

The future ?
Perth WA:
http://www.snowpark.com.au (under consideration)

I also found this company:
Ski Trac International, Upper Mt Gravett, Queensland
Design and Joint World patent of snow making chamber for indoor ski arena.
Design of fully computerized ski hire integrated to indoor ski arena.
Design of grooming system for indoor ski arena.
But can find no other info

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:30 am
Just Joined

twistedddx is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not 100% sure how I found this page and I know I'm months late on the answer.

But I live in Adelaide, South Australia and I'll confirm the ski slope is now closed (still physically there but completely not running and boarded off). It is now just the main rink and the kids rink. The entire facility is run down and I wouldnt bet year to year that the venue would still exist. Although apparently the ice surface on the rink is still the best in Australia.