Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does anyone ever feel like people in the UK just don't get who you are?

Does anyone ever feel like people in the UK just don't get who you are?

Old Apr 4th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all
Default Re: Does anyone ever feel like people in the UK just don't get who you are?

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Yeah but that's the Northern/southern divide isn't it

I moved from Glasgow to Torquay once and boy oh boy i was in for a shock
Me too, I moved from Glasgow to London in 1980, what a culture shock, everyone I tried to speak to at the bus stop thought I was a nutter

And having now met you Janna, it's definitely NOT you! I got you, but then maybe it's because i'm an immigrant to Surrey too! God help that bowling guy if we were both let loose on him!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Does anyone ever feel like people in the UK just don't get who you are?

Originally Posted by Flixy
Me too, I moved from Glasgow to London in 1980, what a culture shock, everyone I tried to speak to at the bus stop thought I was a nutter

And having now met you Janna, it's definitely NOT you! I got you, but then maybe it's because i'm an immigrant to Surrey too! God help that bowling guy if we were both let loose on him!

SURREY!! that explains it!! They are all anal!!
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Flixy

your right about london
i come from kent which is only a few miles away and it is totally different
i think the southern thing is just really a london thing
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:13 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Just wondering really as sometimes I feel like people just don't get me. I'm not from the UK originally. I live in South Africa as a child.

Is it a culture thing? Where I was brought up? My upbringing?

Anyone feel the same?

Not sure if I get you, quite a few people has replied to your question yet you don't appear to have responded.
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:14 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
your right about london
i come from kent which is only a few miles away and it is totally different
i think the southern thing is just really a london thing
I'd say it's just a coming from a different place thing, as a previous poster suggested
Old Apr 5th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Flixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to allFlixy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paulry
Not sure if I get you, quite a few people has replied to your question yet you don't appear to have responded.
Well, I happen to know that she is busy this weekend. Not everybody is strapped to the laptop like me
Old Apr 6th 2009, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Mentality is not just tied to where someone is from, it goes deeper than that, so wherever you are , some people get you, some don't.
I agree - where you are from could mean nothing. I am open-minded about nationality etc and find it a bore when people say you are born 'English' and should never open your mind to other cultures or even (readily) accept citizenship. There is some/perhaps a lot of mileage (humour) to get out of place of birth, schooling etc but it is just a starting point.

There are also sub-cultural groups where what you do, (by choice or not) have an influence. eg.you might get people who are in a 'scene' you have choosen to become part of.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Just wondering really as sometimes I feel like people just don't get me. I'm not from the UK originally. I live in South Africa as a child.

Is it a culture thing? Where I was brought up? My upbringing?

Anyone feel the same?

This post has nothing to do with the UK directly.

Nobody understands me! Im gonna throw myself off the chook house roof!

Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
This post has nothing to do with the UK directly.

Nobody understands me! Im gonna throw myself off the chook house roof!

Don't worry I sometimes feel just as you do. Also from Africa myself and my family have been in the UK for a few years and have found we are not completely understood either . We have found it difficult to make friends here and what really gets us is if you want to arrange a barbeque or any sort of event etc it has to be booked weeks in advance...you can't just phone on a whim and say woudl you like to come around because it's oh I can't or they blow you off for someone else!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 10:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Don't worry I sometimes feel just as you do. Also from Africa myself and my family have been in the UK for a few years and have found we are not completely understood either . We have found it difficult to make friends here and what really gets us is if you want to arrange a barbeque or any sort of event etc it has to be booked weeks in advance...you can't just phone on a whim and say woudl you like to come around because it's oh I can't or they blow you off for someone else!
And when they do turn up they expect burgers to be the main meat.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not in my house, not a burger in sight! Satay chicken, kofte, king prawns, spicy chicken etc, but no burgers!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Too true or sausages....