Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Does anyone care if you have a big house?

Wikiposts

Does anyone care if you have a big house?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone care if you have a big house?

I don't care if I have a big house but I don't think that people who care if they have a big house should care if people don't care if they have a big house and I think they should continue to care if they have a big house because after all, why not?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:42 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

We have a very modest house (low-set brick and colo(u)rbond) set perfectly on 3 and a half acres.

Elbow room (from the neighbours) and less (house) maintenance, the yardwork helps keep you fit too ...

Works for us.

Unless I am in trouble with the OH then maybe the house could do with being a tad larger ...
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
Do you do pity ravaging?
I need to start behaving myself, I am definately giving people the wrong impression! ... at the end of the month you'll see that I am actually quite a sweetie really and not a lush in any shape or form!

Flirting with Bernie seems to be par for the course.. he is sooo bloody good at it so its very hard to resist..

oh.. in answer to your question...? oh COURSE I do!

gaaa... there.. its no good ? back to square 1 ! lmao! Where's our Viv when I need her! lol

Em x
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by emelems
I need to start behaving myself, I am definately giving people the wrong impression! ... at the end of the month you'll see that I am actually quite a sweetie really and not a lush in any shape or form!

Flirting with Bernie seems to be par for the course.. he is sooo bloody good at it so its very hard to resist..

oh.. in answer to your question...? oh COURSE I do!

gaaa... there.. its no good ? back to square 1 ! lmao! Where's our Viv when I need her! lol

Em x
Viv would sort us out!! Looking forward to meeting you both Ems!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Australians are really into one-upmanship and labels. They LOVE designer clothes. Our neighbours are always asking what label we are wearing (and they look embarrassed when we say that we bought the t shirt or whatever from the market!). The neighbour wears those ugly Fitch and Abercrombie T shirts with the logo emblazened all over them.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by No 15
I think Australians are really into one-upmanship and labels. They LOVE designer clothes. Our neighbours are always asking what label we are wearing (and they look embarrassed when we say that we bought the t shirt or whatever from the market!). The neighbour wears those ugly Fitch and Abercrombie T shirts with the logo emblazened all over them.
There are swathes of society in most countries like this. We live in a material world I'm afraid. Almost no one is immune to some degree.
Do you have nice things? I know I do
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

No 15 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are swathes of society in most countries like this. We live in a material world I'm afraid. Almost no one is immune to some degree.
Do you have nice things? I know I do
Yes I own nice things, but they don't have to have a label to be nice. Infact I think things with labels on them are naff and I deliberately avoid them. The Australians seem to chase the labels and think you're second class if you don't have them.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Yes I own nice things, but they don't have to have a label to be nice. Infact I think things with labels on them are naff and I deliberately avoid them. The Australians seem to chase the labels and think you're second class if you don't have them.
Yes but it is just another tier of materialism. Some one below you in financial terms will think you are flash, you know?
fwiw, I agree with you though
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't care if I have a big house but I don't think that people who care if they have a big house should care if people don't care if they have a big house and I think they should continue to care if they have a big house because after all, why not?
I do find that, occasionally, my staff do complain that their houses in the mews are a little cramped. As for myself, in the 'Big House' I do find it has some drawbacks. Only this week I let my polo pony have the run of the West wing and now I can't find it anywhere.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Without getting in the whole "UK" vs "Oz" thing.. I have found logos and designer onupmanship much more vivid back in Blighty... I suppose it depends where you live? On the coast here slip shirts and thongs (together with the odd tattoo and boardies) seem to be the most fashionable that people get?

Em x
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I do find that, occasionally, my staff do complain that their houses in the mews are a little cramped. As for myself, in the 'Big House' I do find it has some drawbacks. Only this week I let my polo pony have the run of the West wing and now I can't find it anywhere.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:17 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Fair enough,but why?Do you just like the space,or is it to just impress other people?
You need a big house to fit ones egos or alter personalities

Strange perception about people being self centred but then caring what others think???

Its not the size its the layout and what it sits on. 5 acres in the middle of no where versus 900 sqm in blue chip inner city?

Tiny 4 bed versus large 3 bed?
5 Bed one bathroom? v 3 bed two bathrooms?
Single level v double storey?

I dont believe jealously as a concept, I believe its frustration with ones self on the basis things of material value only get up ones nose if its something they value - in OP case a large house is not therefore they feel no frustration.
Only frustration on the conversation of material items.

But how does society progress without desire for material items? Its a key catalyst.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
You need a big house to fit ones egos or alter personalities

Strange perception about people being self centred but then caring what others think???

Its not the size its the layout and what it sits on. 5 acres in the middle of no where versus 900 sqm in blue chip inner city?

Tiny 4 bed versus large 3 bed?
5 Bed one bathroom? v 3 bed two bathrooms?
Single level v double storey?

I dont believe jealously as a concept, I believe its frustration with ones self on the basis things of material value only get up ones nose if its something they value - in OP case a large house is not therefore they feel no frustration.
Only frustration on the conversation of material items.

But how does society progress without desire for material items? Its a key catalyst.
I have no issues with the green monster. If someone has more shit than me they have either worked harder, been brighter, luckier or have more debt than me.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
As long as you have enough room for yourselves I dont think it matters.
Correct, hence me needing a 5 bed house, it gives us 'almost' enough room...

I agree.

Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:31 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I have no issues with the green monster. If someone has more shit than me they have either worked harder, been brighter, luckier or have more debt than me.
Or has different priorities in life. (I don't own a plasma telly - oh the shame.)

Reminds me of a conversation at work the other day. Our place is very structured and transparent, everyone knows who earns what. One of the (senior) managers made a snidey comment about it and seemed baffled when I said I don't give crap what anybody else earns so long as I am happy with what I earn, and I made the decision to work for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.