Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you live in a home or a property?

Do you live in a home or a property?

Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do you live in a home or a property?

Was reading an article in The Guardian the other day and it struck a chord with me. The basic upshot of it was that we British had, at some point over the last 20 years or so, changed from being home owners, to property owners. We had stopped thinking of the place we lived in as somewhere to live and raise kids, and instead looked on it as the pension we never saved for or the Spainish holiday flat to be. The article suggested that most of the stuff happening due to the so-called credit-squeeze becomes totally irrelevant if you think of your house as a home rather than an investment. As long as you can comfortably afford the mortgage - everything else is secondary. Or is it?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 2:50 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you live in a home or a property?

Speaking for myself: We currently live in "a rental" (it's definitely not home and never will be).

When our house is built, we'll live again in "a home" (definitely not a property). Never saw our UK home as an investment and won't look at our Australian home as an investment either.

But I can see where the Guardian article is coming from and sadly they are probably right.

Gina
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

First and foremost it's a home. The chances are it will be a property as well though, unless I win Lotto
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:18 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Looking around the place at the moment I would say I live in a craphole Seriously though it's my home and every place we have owned has been the same.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Was reading an article in The Guardian the other day and it struck a chord with me. The basic upshot of it was that we British had, at some point over the last 20 years or so, changed from being home owners, to property owners. We had stopped thinking of the place we lived in as somewhere to live and raise kids, and instead looked on it as the pension we never saved for or the Spainish holiday flat to be. The article suggested that most of the stuff happening due to the so-called credit-squeeze becomes totally irrelevant if you think of your house as a home rather than an investment. As long as you can comfortably afford the mortgage - everything else is secondary. Or is it?

In some ways yes.

Brits are obsessed with house prices, who bought what for how much, and in an appreciating market generaly feel quite chuffed with the (deluded) idea that they're in some way making money. So conversely in a depreciating market, the thought of losing money which they'd never really owned, makes them feel like jumping off a bridge. Keeping up with the Jones' has prompted them to turn 'unreal money' into very real debt, spent on worthless chattels.

But in others no.

Virtually all possessions devalue over time, my own vintage collection of erotica excepted; cars for example hideously so. Why should we view a house as being any different?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Could you please post the link to this article? I'd be very interested to read it.

Like the poster above, we're currently living in a rental and do not see it as a 'home'.

What makes a property a home - an emotional bond; the security of knowing that you cannot have it taken away from you; having the ability to add touches to the property as an extension of your character/personality/interests etc

We do not envisage ourselves becoming homeowners in Australia

This in turn means that we will not be able to call Australia our home.

Though we may choose to stay here for a while and continue to live in a rental 'property'

Does that make sense?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Could you please post the link to this article? I'd be very interested to read it.

Like the poster above, we're currently living in a rental and do not see it as a 'home'.

What makes a property a home - an emotional bond; the security of knowing that you cannot have it taken away from you; having the ability to add touches to the property as an extension of your character/personality/interests etc

We do not envisage ourselves becoming homeowners in Australia

This in turn means that we will not be able to call Australia our home.

Though we may choose to stay here for a while and continue to live in a rental 'property'

Does that make sense?
Only to you, but that's ok.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We definitely live in a home not an investment a home. Not up with the latest furnishing fashions so not a furniture showroom ,lots of books, papers etc dogs cats kids when they are home its home.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Good article, it's here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...ng.houseprices
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely a home (been in this house 7 years now ) but I still like to keep one eye on overcapitalising in case we did need to sell it at some stage.

My mum back in UK has spent silly amounts on doing up their property which she knows she will never make back on the house but she doesn't care because she says she'll never move again so for them it's all about enjoying the quality of life in a nice house rather than any money they will make/lose.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:30 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

my house was always my home I decorated to my taste not with an eye to selling, improvements were done to make it more comfortable ignoring what would add value when we sold.
I would hate to live in a bland to everyones taste property I always loved my cosy home.

Now i live in a rental I just worry about how high the rent will go when we come up for renewal
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
That Sarah Beeny's got a lot to answer for.

Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/images...eeny-other.jpg
Yes tell her to keep jumping up and down
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

I think of my house as my home, not as an investment, as your property is always a liability, (it always costs money on a daily basis to run!)

I doubt me it will become an asset to anyone.....until I pass over that is!!
Bj
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/images...eeny-other.jpg
I'd like an answer as to why she's not wearing a bra!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.