Do you have a pool

Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you have a pool

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
That's totally out of order for your boss to treat you like that. I mean what is the point in being like that? I just don't get how some people tick. It must be so tiring to be full of bitterness.

Anyway onwards and upwards eh?

Pack a container? We actually weren't even going to bother with one, all I'm taking is a shed load of art work and a few bikes in a Movecube

And I now believe you can't even hang paintings up in rentals over there is this true?
Yeah, an odd thing for my boss to switch from being cool to not so cool. However, my office had a resident character assassin who I barely tolerated (I can't abide false and manipulative people), and I on occasion stuck up for her victims so maybe she got to him towards the end? Ah well, it's all history now

That's a good question really: whether or not to bring a container. It worked well for us and if anything, looking back, I think we should have brought more.

We've hung pictures at the rentals we've had - in pre-existing holes. We've photographed the holes and logged them when checking in and placed equal sized pins/nails to hang them up. We're on our third Aussie rental and no had no dramas so far
Old Mar 13th 2014, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Yeah, an odd thing for my boss to switch from being cool to not so cool. However, my office had a resident character assassin who I barely tolerated (I can't abide false and manipulative people), and I on occasion stuck up for her victims so maybe she got to him towards the end? Ah well, it's all history now

That's a good question really: whether or not to bring a container. It worked well for us and if anything, looking back, I think we should have brought more.

We've hung pictures at the rentals we've had - in pre-existing holes. We've photographed the holes and logged them when checking in and placed equal sized pins/nails to hang them up. We're on our third Aussie rental and no had no dramas so far

Ohh we have a resident character assassin....

I think most places have a resident arselicker too, it's nauseating to watch. Embarrassing even........I just don't get arselicking, I see it as a weakness and very unattractive. Same as the false and manipulative types you mention. It's just unattractive and uncalled for.

What do you wish you had brought with you in your container?
Old Mar 14th 2014, 12:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've always said that the maintenance has to be little and often. Apart from failing to filter enough, past failures for us have been equipment failures. For me - it's keeping that pump running.

Infact I now expect to keep it blue over winter - it's colder - and providing you filter over winter - it is less likely to go green.
Yes, just keep on top of the maintenance and your pool water quality will be fine

During winter I don't give the pool much attention - just chuck a bit of salt, acid and shock chlorine in now and again. I smash it back into shape at the beginning of summer
Old Mar 14th 2014, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, just keep on top of the maintenance and your pool water quality will be fine

During winter I don't give the pool much attention - just chuck a bit of salt, acid and shock chlorine in now and again. I smash it back into shape at the beginning of summer
Last year I had an equipment failure - pump - which meant by spring I had 6 inches of sludge in the bottom...I am determined not to go there this year!
Old Mar 14th 2014, 9:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I had an equipment failure - pump - which meant by spring I had 6 inches of sludge in the bottom...I am determined not to go there this year!
That happened to us last year too. I usually do the pool, and while I was away the family was a little derelict in keeping up with it. The automatic timer on the filter stopped working and I came home after 3 weeks to bright green. Some electronic repair by the old man and a bottle of floculant and it was all good.

During summer the filter runs 4 hours overnight and 2 hours during the day and whenever we're in the pool. In winter just 4 hours overnight is plenty. Cover stays on all the time to save water. We generally top it up once a month or so unless it's really hot out then we leave the cover off and top up to cool it down. Our pool isn't very big - 35 000L, but it's fine for us.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

And do you get much use out of it?

I'm just wondering whether or not it's worth getting a house with a pool when we move out there.

All of my family love water but I just wondered if the novelty factor wore off after a while.
No. I have a pacific ocean. It provides more variety.
Old Mar 15th 2014, 6:51 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Ohh we have a resident character assassin....

I think most places have a resident arselicker too, it's nauseating to watch. Embarrassing even........I just don't get arselicking, I see it as a weakness and very unattractive. Same as the false and manipulative types you mention. It's just unattractive and uncalled for.

What do you wish you had brought with you in your container?
Unfortunately you get those character assassin and arse licker types everywhere humans exist - including on BE.

Where to begin with the list of things to put in a container...

Good quality furniture, a newer, bigger, better motorbike, A good front loader washing machine, a fridge freezer, one or more of those glass fronted bar top fridges, several brollies, clothes, backpacks, camping equipment, bicycles, outdoor and garden equipment, all the kitchen stuff you'll need. in a nutshell pack everything you think you'll need or want because here almost everything is more expensive.

But don't be discouraged. Salaries are higher here so that compensates a bit for the higher costs.

Also, another good thing about bringing a container is you don't need to spend time and money buying everything all over again here. And you'll find that selling your stuff over there, most people want it for nothing/next to nothing.

Of course it's not a must to bring a container but certainly it's a lot cheaper and easier - if you make the most of it.

...Well you did ask

Another thing you might want to consider is leisure-related things to do and see before you leave the UK.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

sammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant futuresammax has a brilliant future

Yeah that's what I thought, that the novelty would wear off.

So how do the salty ones work? Do you just leave them too it....
A company who repair brickwork etc told us that salt water pools ruin surrounding walls....
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sammax
A company who repair brickwork etc told us that salt water pools ruin surrounding walls....
not sure if salt does, it can cause effloresence and lime bloom. But most pools are fully tiled, or concrete. I have seen on one of our pools, lime type deposits in a line down from skimmer box, but a good scrub and it same off.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Molly, a salt-water pool uses the salt you add (in huge bags) to make chlorine using a chlorinator. The chlorinator adjusts the chlorine levels to suit ensuring there is enough chlorine in the pool. For the chlorine to be effective there has to be enough free chlorine in the pool, and the pH has to be around 7.4 (neutral). If the pool stinks of chlorine this canbe a sign that the old chlorine has been used up and what you can smell is chloramine which is the used chlorine bonding with the stuff it has oxidised. To get rid of that you have to shock or increase the levels beyond a certain point.

Every other bugger, with a 'manual' pool has to add chlorine either using liquid, or sticks (they can go in the skimmer, or as tablets in floating dispensers). Sticks and tablets tend to work when the pump is running.

As it's hard in summer to ensure you have enough, and sun kills chlorine, you tend to want to add chlorine at night when the pump is running or dose it up once a week - 'shocking' the pool. I think you can shock a salt-water pool too. Some shops sell 'shock' packets you add once a week which also oxgenate the water.

Also some chlorine is sold as stabilised (with sun protection) : the giveaway is it's often sold as 'tri-chlor...something or other': but once the level of stabiliser gets too high you have to dilute it out of the pool so I use stabiliser sticks in the week but a different type of chlorine (I use a calcium-based one) to top up at the end of the week.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

We live on the Sunshine Coast, use it daily October - April. We use it a lot in the middle of the night too on summer weekends. We have young children - most kids under about 14 would use a pool frequently. I wouldn't be without it
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
No. I have a pacific ocean.

GOD! That must have cost you a fortune!
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
Unfortunately you get those character assassin and arse licker types everywhere humans exist - including on BE.

Where to begin with the list of things to put in a container...

Good quality furniture, a newer, bigger, better motorbike, A good front loader washing machine, a fridge freezer, one or more of those glass fronted bar top fridges, several brollies, clothes, backpacks, camping equipment, bicycles, outdoor and garden equipment, all the kitchen stuff you'll need. in a nutshell pack everything you think you'll need or want because here almost everything is more expensive.

But don't be discouraged. Salaries are higher here so that compensates a bit for the higher costs.

Also, another good thing about bringing a container is you don't need to spend time and money buying everything all over again here. And you'll find that selling your stuff over there, most people want it for nothing/next to nothing.

Of course it's not a must to bring a container but certainly it's a lot cheaper and easier - if you make the most of it.

...Well you did ask

Another thing you might want to consider is leisure-related things to do and see before you leave the UK.

Thanks for all that info, it's great!

Yep that's very true about people wanting things for next to nothing. I have some furniture on ebay now. Good stuff, I started it at 99p to attract attention but some things are barely at a tenner with only a few days left Hmm!

Do you know the names of any quality furniture shops in Australia, just so I could price things up online? I'm just curious really.

Last edited by Molly Coddle; Mar 17th 2014 at 5:54 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly, a salt-water pool uses the salt you add (in huge bags) to make chlorine using a chlorinator. The chlorinator adjusts the chlorine levels to suit ensuring there is enough chlorine in the pool. For the chlorine to be effective there has to be enough free chlorine in the pool, and the pH has to be around 7.4 (neutral). If the pool stinks of chlorine this canbe a sign that the old chlorine has been used up and what you can smell is chloramine which is the used chlorine bonding with the stuff it has oxidised. To get rid of that you have to shock or increase the levels beyond a certain point.

Every other bugger, with a 'manual' pool has to add chlorine either using liquid, or sticks (they can go in the skimmer, or as tablets in floating dispensers). Sticks and tablets tend to work when the pump is running.

As it's hard in summer to ensure you have enough, and sun kills chlorine, you tend to want to add chlorine at night when the pump is running or dose it up once a week - 'shocking' the pool. I think you can shock a salt-water pool too. Some shops sell 'shock' packets you add once a week which also oxgenate the water.

Also some chlorine is sold as stabilised (with sun protection) : the giveaway is it's often sold as 'tri-chlor...something or other': but once the level of stabiliser gets too high you have to dilute it out of the pool so I use stabiliser sticks in the week but a different type of chlorine (I use a calcium-based one) to top up at the end of the week.
Thanks for that Badge

I will be referring back to this thread when I arrive in Oz.

Thanks again everyone for your input, much appreciated.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

GOD! That must have cost you a fortune!
Well, for a Brisbane Bogan, my rent to maintain this habit probably does. For Sydney its just the joys of living with the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.