British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Do you have a pool (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/do-you-have-pool-828334/)

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 5:40 pm

Do you have a pool

And do you get much use out of it?

I'm just wondering whether or not it's worth getting a house with a pool when we move out there.

All of my family love water but I just wondered if the novelty factor wore off after a while.

TimbersBack Mar 12th 2014 8:41 pm

Re: Do you have a pool

No ... But had a few over the years.

When you have one, you never use it.

When you aint got one, you swear you will use it all the time.

If you have one, make sure its a salty. Gets on ya tits keeping the bugger clean 365 days of the year for 45 minutes annual use tho.

paulry Mar 12th 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11170119)

If you have one, make sure its a salty. Gets on ya tits keeping the bugger clean 365 days of the year for 45 minutes annual use tho.

:nod: Yep, I agree with all of that.

jad n rich Mar 12th 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11169802)
And do you get much use out of it?

I'm just wondering whether or not it's worth getting a house with a pool when we move out there.

All of my family love water but I just wondered if the novelty factor wore off after a while.

Yes.

When the kids were little and it was summer they would use it all day often going back 6 times. Pool parties were regular.

Teens now, it sits uncleaned, full of leaves, turning odd hues of green because nobody can be assed with it. The pool treatments ( salt, balance packs, acid etc) cost a bloody fortune, and electricity for the pump can cost up to 25% of your leccy bill.

Amusingly when we bought our land in Melbourne the artists impressions came with a pool, why the hell any one would want one in melb is beyond me. In QLD we could use it up to 8 months without heating it. In melb the night temps mean the water would cool down rapidly each night.

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11170119)

Yeah that's what I thought, that the novelty would wear off.

So how do the salty ones work? Do you just leave them too it....:unsure:

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11170171)
Yes.

When the kids were little and it was summer they would use it all day often going back 6 times. Pool parties were regular.

Teens now, it sits uncleaned, full of leaves, turning odd hues of green because nobody can be assed with it. The pool treatments ( salt, balance packs, acid etc) cost a bloody fortune, and electricity for the pump can cost up to 25% of your leccy bill.

Amusingly when we bought our land in Melbourne the artists impressions came with a pool, why the hell any one would want one in melb is beyond me. In QLD we could use it up to 8 months without heating it. In melb the night temps mean the water would cool down rapidly each night.

It is the boys who are pushing for it really, but I don't want to bother if after a week they are no longer interested.
I mean houses with pools are obviously more expensive to rent than houses with out.

Maybe we could try one in our first rental and then just see how it goes.

TimbersBack Mar 12th 2014 9:11 pm

http://www.directpoolsupplies.com.au/webcontent17.htm

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11170178)

Cheers!

TimbersBack Mar 12th 2014 9:15 pm

If you rent with a pool, sometimes you will find the landlord foots the bill for maintenance

carolinephillips Mar 12th 2014 9:16 pm

We have a saltwater pool and it needs, pump, sand filter, chlorinator and pool cleaner. You whack bags of salt in, and sunscreen, algicide, starver and flocculant as necessary. I take a water sample to the pool shop once a month, or if necessary more often- usually after heavy rain -and then it is tested and whatever chemicals are necessary have to be purchased.
In Sydney I get about 6 months where I use the pool- I don't heat it, but I go in at 20 degrees, mainly to cool down, and it never gets warmer than 24 degrees, which is nice when it is a really hot day. I scoop out leaves and empty the skimmer box almost every day in summer, and cover the pool in winter.

Because the pool machinery was quite old when we moved in 5 years ago, we have had to replace something each year, so I reckon each swim has cost me $100.:eek: Hopefully next year we won't have to do any major repairs.:fingerscrossed:

I wouldn't be without my pool for medical reasons, but it is a labour of love and expensive.

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by TimbersBack (Post 11170188)
If you rent with a pool, sometimes you will find the landlord foots the bill for maintenance

Oh well that's handy to know. Thanks.

Do you deal in rentals?

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 11170190)
We have a saltwater pool and it needs, pump, sand filter, chlorinator and pool cleaner. You whack bags of salt in, and sunscreen, algicide, starver and flocculant as necessary. I take a water sample to the pool shop once a month, or if necessary more often- usually after heavy rain -and then it is tested and whatever chemicals are necessary have to be purchased.
In Sydney I get about 6 months where I use the pool- I don't heat it, but I go in at 20 degrees, mainly to cool down, and it never gets warmer than 24 degrees, which is nice when it is a really hot day. I scoop out leaves and empty the skimmer box almost every day in summer, and cover the pool in winter.

Because the pool machinery was quite old when we moved in 5 years ago, we have had to replace something each year, so I reckon each swim has cost me $100.:eek: Hopefully next year we won't have to do any major repairs.:fingerscrossed:

I wouldn't be without my pool for medical reasons, but it is a labour of love and expensive.

Thanks

I suppose we can just try and see how we get on with one. That's a perk of renting I suppose, you can always move on if you're not happy. :)

paulry Mar 12th 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11170197)
Thanks

I suppose we can just try and see how we get on with one. That's a perk of renting I suppose, you can always move on if you're not happy. :)

Would be interesting to know what percentage of rentals around the country have pools. I wouldn't have thought many. Here in Canberra I reckon it can't be much more than 1%.

But renting a house with a pool could be a good way of determining if it works for you :cool:

TimbersBack Mar 12th 2014 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle (Post 11170192)
Oh well that's handy to know. Thanks.

Do you deal in rentals?

We have a property department that does. But as you will find, rentals go in 5 minutes. So makes it hard to find a rental thats still available, that you found surfing the net in the uk.

Best too do as most poms do, move over and book into a cheap motel for a week or 3 , look at rentals, then get applying.
My daughter is a property manager, and if you have any questions .. I can ask her for you, shes always happy to help.
Be prepared to be overwhelmed and underwhelmed simultaeously with Australian rentals.... they can be expensive, and some of them are absolute shit boxes.

Molly Coddle Mar 12th 2014 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11170203)
Would be interesting to know what percentage of rentals around the country have pools. I wouldn't have thought many. Here in Canberra I reckon it can't be much more than 1%

Yeah, when I've been looking at rentals online, there are a fair few, well on the Sunshine Coast area, I haven't really looked elsewhere yet.

I'm actually starting to get a bit nervous about the move now:unsure: I was talking to my work mates about it today and they were saying how much they're going to miss me ( the lying b*#€@rds! :lol:) Ooo reality is kicking in hard and fast!:eek::eek: