Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do you have to either 'love it' or 'hate it' ?

Do you have to either 'love it' or 'hate it' ?

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:57 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Do you have to either 'love it' or 'hate it' ?

Originally Posted by markallwood
ant sand, emma. ant sand.
Yea, I get the car tomorrow (whoop whoop) so I'm going to be buying an industrial load of the stuff and going around the edges of the house with it. They've found their way into my bathroom now but luckily I could see where they were coming in so I zapped them. Mwuhahahahahaha.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Whatever 'it' is

Threads seem to become polarised between love and hate for living Australia.

I think 'love' and 'hate' are emotions that can not really be attatched to a place.

For myself...I don't love or hate being here. It is somewhere I have chosen to be, for my own reasons, so I am getting on with it.

If I had stayed in England I would have done the same.

I enjoy the things I enjoy and tolerate those I don't and if I don't like something I avoid it....same as before.

If or when I decide I want to live somewhere else I will go....because I choose to.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

I admit I may not be a typical migrant......or maybe I am.

G
Agreed. Maybe love and hate are used too much but I do enjoy my life here, as I enjoyed my life there. I didn't enjoy the weather there and haven't found anything I don't enjoy here really but I had 40+ years there and only had 3 here so plenty of time yet
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:31 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever 'it' is

Threads seem to become polarised between love and hate for living Australia.

I think 'love' and 'hate' are emotions that can not really be attatched to a place.

For myself...I don't love or hate being here. It is somewhere I have chosen to be, for my own reasons, so I am getting on with it.

If I had stayed in England I would have done the same.

I enjoy the things I enjoy and tolerate those I don't and if I don't like something I avoid it....same as before.

If or when I decide I want to live somewhere else I will go....because I choose to.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

I admit I may not be a typical migrant......or maybe I am.

G
thank god out of the dark comes a voice of reason, I too cannot understand why it has to be one or the other. I do think some who constantly bang on about it lovng it are trying to convince themselves.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
thank god out of the dark comes a voice of reason, I too cannot understand why it has to be one or the other. I do think some who constantly bang on about it lovng it are trying to convince themselves.
Yes same basket here.

Theres not much I dont like about Aus... then some images came to mind. However I can conjur up just as many from the UK, so things really balance out quiet neatly from my point of view.

Aus would be far easier to take if it where within 9 hours of Europe.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:47 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes same basket here.

Theres not much I dont like about Aus... then some images came to mind. However I can conjur up just as many from the UK, so things really balance out quiet neatly from my point of view.

Aus would be far easier to take if it where within 9 hours of Europe.
feel the same
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I like it here, but I also liked my life in UK (came here with work).

However having been away for so long now (8years) I would hate to go back and live in London...too crowded, too dirty, transport is appalling (everytime we visit it fails for a multitude of reasons).
I think I just drift with the tide~~~~~~~~~~~
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pomster
I like it here, but I also liked my life in UK (came here with work).

However having been away for so long now (8years) I would hate to go back and live in London...too crowded, too dirty, transport is appalling (everytime we visit it fails for a multitude of reasons).
I think I just drift with the tide~~~~~~~~~~~
great post, well said

I certainly don't think you have to love or hate it, it is the place you live and you get on with it everyday just like everyone else all over the world.

Take us for example, we don't hate the UK, yes certain things annoy us but we have a whinge an get on with it, we certainly don't love it and walk around everyday with an insane grin on our face squeeling about how much we love the UK. If we can have the same existenace in Oz then that is fine, we will go to work, send the kids to school, do the supermarket shopping and find things to do as a family on days off...end of.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

I love the fact that this thread has turned into exactly the opposite of the point raised... people commenting on loving or hating it!

(Chuckling) Em x
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Agree with this and the OP!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
I love the fact that this thread has turned into exactly the opposite of the point raised... people commenting on loving or hating it!

(Chuckling) Em x
Spot on.

And me - I love it wherever I am.

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I still reserve the right to be critical where necessary
A more interesting question might be why if people clearly can be somewhere in the middle, YES! why some appear to fall in one camp. Again - almost philosophical. Seems like the glass half full/empty analogy.

Originally Posted by northernbird
I love my life here but I can understand why people don't like it as there are things that irritate me beyond belief.
There are many who love it here, who never bother to post about the things that piss them off. Many people who claim or appear to hate it will often admit to bits they like.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Well i hate it. You'd never guess huh?

I think a lot of people on here forget that not all immigrants to Australia did so because they didnt want to live in UK anymore!!

Some of us end up here by strange twists of fate, not because we chose it
I sort of (over)simplify it by contrasting the professional expat with the migrant.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
After a couple of years he got a job offer in Adelaide too good to refuse (or so he thought, turned out to be the usual Aussie bullshit)
To be honest me old flea, this is precisely the comment that starts arguments as it is such a blanket statement, not the 'hate it' vs 'love it' thing(!)

I do think some who constantly bang on about it lovng it are trying to convince themselves.
I respect the fact that for some people, it is the best thing they ever did and that their life probably was a bit crap and take their word for it. Do laugh at all the dolphins and beach comments though!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

I respect the fact that for some people, it is the best thing they ever did and that their life probably was a bit crap and take their word for it. Do laugh at all the dolphins and beach comments though!
You'll be pleased to hear that I haven't seen a dolphin here yet
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Does a merry dance

Dolphins. You can <parp> stick 'em.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've seen loads....but then I am a fisherman.

I saw a few off Christies beach and Noalunga pier in SA.

Mind you I saw plenty in the UK as well.

G
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 11:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen loads....but then I am a fisherman.

I saw a few off Christies beach and Noalunga pier in SA.

Mind you I saw plenty in the UK as well.

G
Although not in the Derbyshire hills presumably Sadly I still get excited if I see a wild animal close by. Used to feel the same if I saw foxes and deers in the UK - nothing changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.