Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do we have to buy permits to travel to NSW on a car registered in QLD?

Do we have to buy permits to travel to NSW on a car registered in QLD?

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question Do we have to buy permits to travel to NSW on a car registered in QLD?

Just wonder if I can simply hit the road with my QLD registered car and travel to Sydney for holidaying? Is there any pre-requisites/measures I should take before entering NSW?

Old Sep 23rd 2009, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we have to buy permits to travel to NSW on a car registered in QLD?

Nope, just fill 'er up and go. I would recommend roadside assist (and I suggest the top level cover as well) though through your Qld motoring organization - the NRMA will oblige when you are in NSW as a reciprocal arrangement. As long as your car is registered and you have a licence all should be well. Keep some change handy because there are occasional toll roads in Sydney although you can call up and pay later on some.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we have to buy permits to travel to NSW on a car registered in QLD?

Originally Posted by BARDI77
Just wonder if I can simply hit the road with my QLD registered car and travel to Sydney for holidaying? Is there any pre-requisites/measures I should take before entering NSW?

Don't forget your passport, the border guards are polite but very rigorous.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spartacus
Don't forget your passport, the border guards are polite but very rigorous.
I am a little bit confused... Passport?? Why a passport needed to travel interstate?
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I am a little bit confused... Passport?? Why a passport needed to travel interstate?
Sorry I was just pulling your plonker.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

A pleasant change from ones own I'd imagine.....
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kporte
A pleasant change from ones own I'd imagine.....
To give is as to recieve . . .
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not that familiar with slang language. So I don't know if you were serious talking abt passports?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not that familiar with slang language. So I don't know if you were serious talking abt passports?
No, he was joking. You don't need your passports to travel around Australia. You don't need to do anything other than get in the car and drive. As has been said though, roadside assist is invaluable.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to be careful about moving fruit & veg between states though, so no healthy food on the journey!
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you everyone

By the way, do you think it is possible to drive directly from Gold Coast to Sydney in one day? Or do we have to sleep somewhere between Gold Coast and Sydney in a motel etc. ?

Last edited by BARDI77; Sep 24th 2009 at 12:58 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:05 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone

By the way, do you think it is possible to drive directly from Gold Coast to Sydney in one day? Or do we have to sleep somewhere between Gold Coast and Sydney in a motel etc. ?
It's up to you but the distance from GC to Sydney 950km - 11hrs 30 min approx.
Recommended safe driving stints - no more than 2 hours each driver (or at least have a decent rest in between).
It depends on whether you want to drive straight through or admire the scenery or do the tourist bit. Personally if I were new, I'd do the tourist bit.

A bloke I used to work with flew to Moorabbin in Melbourne to pick up a car he bought, and then drove straight back with in 24 hours.

Last edited by The Bloke; Sep 24th 2009 at 1:08 am.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:27 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you everyone

Did it myself last week. took about 11 hours, with a few short stops for coffee/fuel.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 1:57 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
....Keep some change handy because there are occasional toll roads in Sydney although you can call up and pay later on some.
haaa - "spare change"? Try remortgaging your house!!

If you dont have a eTag already in your car then you need to either get one fast, or register with a visitors 'ePass':

eToll: will deduct funds from your account every time you dirve throug a toll.

ePass: Will match your car rego with your account and send you an invoice at the end of the month.

Failure to have either of these options means in THEORY you have 24 hours to phone and pay each tim eyou go through a toll, but driving around Sydney and SPOTTING where all the toll points are is nigh on impossible and you're BOUND to miss at least one and end up with a hefty fine for not paying within 24 hours.

Even WITH an ePass account (we had last time we drove down) sometimes the rego matching software isnt quite up to scratch and we were sent 4 different fine notices (totalling ~$500) for our legitimate, covered driving. A few phone calls did get those dropped, but still we were stunned by the number of tolls we'd driven though - we spent around $80 on tolls in 5 days.

The BNE-SYD drive is easy but long - 12 hours is comfortable if you drive at the speedlimit (+GST) and dont stop any more than twice for 15 minutes (Grafton/Forster split the journey nicely) - Only really do-able if you have at least 2 drivers to swap.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone

If you're not used to driving long distances, then yes, definitely stop over somewhere.

I'd recommend Port Macquarie. Just off the highway. Roughly half-way to Sydney. Loads of motels and plenty of eating options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.