Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do Members Of the Royal Family Never Learn?

Do Members Of the Royal Family Never Learn?

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:49 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Members Of the Royal Family Never Learn?

Originally Posted by Grayling
So you do prefer the status quo......thought as much
Their first few albums were OK but they lost their power to entertain when they retired their mullets.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
My criticism of ABC is that it is biased to the left. Wildly so, to the point it make the BBC look like it's run by Murdoch.
Surely there is no place for right and left in such an egalitarian society as we are led to believe Australia is
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

All communications of the Queen, Charles and William are exempt from FOI, whether they are in the public interest or not. Recently Charles had the Attorney General overrule the High Court and ban the publication of his memos.

No one else in the land can do that and it is totally unacceptable, as his Charles's vetoing of legislation that negatively affects his business interests in the Duchy of Cornwell.

I appreciate it is a feudal system in the UK, I grew up in it, I know the score, but refusing to believe it can change for the better is too negative for me, so I remain hopeful there will be equality one day.
No not a royalist........but not paranoid either....and without the huge chip you seem to have on your shoulder
I would not say that it is a feudal system. Just a constutional monarchy...
The UK citizen has a lot of freedom even though it's not written anywhere.
The last time I heard someone 'complain' about feudalism and subjects was at university from a left-wing upper-middle class fellow who was just playing the 'left-wing card'. Noone I know in the Uk even really cares. And people who are down the bottom of the pile have far worse things to worry about than the Royals..like where they will get the cash for their 'holidays' and how much booze they must cut back on...

So you couldn't hack it in the UK so have to find some one or the system to blame.
I have found more class differences here than in the UK
And of course it's feudal! If it weren't feudal I would be able to tell you who the British head of state is going to for the rest of the century when we see him in his little bobble hat and booties outside a hospital next June.
Maybe - but it doesn't make it 'feudal'. Zen, I would ask why you are so personally annoyed about the establishment. Surely you are an educated middle class person. Shouldn't you be worrying about supermarket costs and the colour of the bowl you do 'the dishes' in?

But you have got one
He's got one, he doesn't want one.

When? They didn't manage it last time they tried.

.....and they all roll over for their tummies to be tickled when the royals come to visit
Plenty of support for them. I think this might change.

Maintaining the class divide is it?
Are we back on to this old chestnut then G?

Australia has a 'class' system like that which exists in most places. It's just not quite so entrenched in the way it works day to day, and the people you meet are not quite so angry about their place in it - (IMHO) - which is just as well. (Unless you are a battler, a British one, or an Australian one, in which case 'God' help you!...). How much money you have or what restaurant you visit is immaterial in both countries...if you are a pleb, you are a pleb..
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Surely there is no place for right and left in such an egalitarian society as we are led to believe Australia is
You say that you see more differences here G.
What is your exact issue with society in Australia G?

I appreciate that you lived in a village in Derbyshire where they all go down the pub.

I see similarities in Melbourne with London. But it is not 'worse'.
Certainly no 'Hons' or aristocrats. Just a working class (tradespeople and battlers), a huge, huge homogenised middle class (everyone else). And a token 'upper class' supplied by the establishment, higher professionals, business people, landowners and people who have been around a long time.

This model is no different or worse than the UK.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:30 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Maybe - but it doesn't make it 'feudal'. Zen, I would ask why you are so personally annoyed about the establishment. Surely you are an educated middle class person. Shouldn't you be worrying about supermarket costs and the colour of the bowl you do 'the dishes' in?
Feudal is a tad strong, I admit, but I use it to simplify my argument, which is that I do not support a system of landed gentry, fealty oaths to individuals, dukes, inherited sovereignty, etc, which there is in Britain.

In fact nothing there has changed in ten centuries in certain important ways to do with power and land control, a peasantry many of whom pay rent to live on royal estates - and if it has changed it has got worse like the land reforms of the 18th and 19th centuries when ancient access and cultivation rights were stripped from the people in a land-grab the likes of which today we condemn Mugabe for.

My personal objection isn't as strong as it might seem. I have been a monarchist in the past, and was raised a monarchist, but as I get older I find it harder to reconcile inherited power with justice and equality.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Feudal is a tad strong, I admit, but I use it to simplify my argument, which is that I do not support a system of landed gentry, fealty oaths to individuals, dukes, inherited sovereignty, etc, which there is in Britain.

In fact nothing there has changed in ten centuries in certain important ways to do with power and land control, a peasantry many of whom pay rent to live on royal estates - and if it has changed it has got worse like the land reforms of the 18th and 19th centuries when ancient access and cultivation rights were stripped from the people in a land-grab the likes of which today we condemn Mugabe for.

My personal objection isn't as strong as it might seem. I have been a monarchist in the past, and was raised a monarchist, but as I get older I find it harder to reconcile inherited power with justice and equality.
Land reforms? I know that significant members of the British peasantry when they are not engaged on their Playstations or, milling around town centres shopping are still home owners...

...but alright! If we didn't have an aristocracy there would be no celeb wank mags and if there were they'd be full of the Becks....

Now the thought of that couple getting elevated is frightening, have to admit.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:56 pm
Banned

Land reforms? I know that significant members of the British peasantry when they are not engaged on their Playstations or, milling around town centres shopping are still home owners...

...but alright! If we didn't have an aristocracy there would be no celeb wank mags and if there were they'd be full of the Becks....

Now the thought of that couple getting elevated is frightening, have to admit.
This is an interesting point actually about who really owns the land, fundamentally, in our law. Who really, really, owns the land your house is on? The "crown"? Who owns the land in the US? There was a chap called Kevin Cahill who worked out that Elizabeth Windsor is the owner in law of 1/6 of the world's land.

"Cahill also noted that of all the countries in the world that he looked at over a several year period, the only major country in which ownership of land was clearly defined as belonging to the citizens who had paid for it was the United States "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Cahill_(author)

+100 on Becks.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is an interesting point actually about who really owns the land, fundamentally, in our law. Who really, really, owns the land your house is on? The "crown"? Who owns the land in the US? There was a chap called Kevin Cahill who worked out that Elizabeth Windsor is the owner in law of 1/6 of the world's land.

"Cahill also noted that of all the countries in the world that he looked at over a several year period, the only major country in which ownership of land was clearly defined as belonging to the citizens who had paid for it was the United States "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Cahill_(author)

+100 on Becks.
Maybe....but I think that freehold is enough for most.
People have even made a buck and lined their own pockets after having disbursed profits.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:04 pm
Banned

Maybe....but I think that freehold is enough for most.
People have even made a buck and lined their own pockets after having disbursed profits.
My opinion is that I don't think one person should be the legal owner of 1/6th of a planet for any reason, let alone medieval butchery and intimidation.

That is one of my problems with monarchy along with the insane hysteria that accompanies it everywhere it goes.

I guess when Australia becomes a republic out houses will be transferred from Mrs Windsor to us?? I expect living in the times we do the Australian Government will invent a way to transfer them to "a body" like "the republic" so we still don't own them.

Also, as for Cahill's research - compulsory purchase must be legal in the US and that is essentially confiscation of private property so they can't "own" their own houses either, surely.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My opinion is that I don't think one person should be the legal owner of 1/6th of a planet for any reason, let alone medieval butchery and intimidation.

That is one of my problems with monarchy along with the insane hysteria that accompanies it everywhere it goes.

I guess when Australia becomes a republic out houses will be transferred from Mrs Windsor to us?? I expect living in the times we do the Australian Government will invent a way to transfer them to "a body" like "the republic" so we still don't own them.

Also, as for Cahill's research - compulsory purchase must be legal in the US and that is essentially confiscation of private property so they can't "own" their own houses either, surely.
It's all technicalities....mate! If it ain't the gentry it's the middle classes....to think a sizeable portion believe in education....the working classes must be turning to revolt.....
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:46 pm
Banned

It's all technicalities....mate! If it ain't the gentry it's the middle classes....to think a sizeable portion believe in education....the working classes must be turning to revolt.....
They're definitely revolting, I know that
Old Dec 7th 2012, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Wealth equals power.... Inherited wealth equals inherited power.....

Personally if Great Aunt Lucy died and left me $1000 in her will I would have no problems paying my electricity bill.....

There HAS to be an Up side to having relatives you can't choose doesn't there?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:09 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Wealth equals power.... Inherited wealth equals inherited power.....

Personally if Great Aunt Lucy died and left me $1000 in her will I would have no problems paying my electricity bill.....

There HAS to be an Up side to having relatives you can't choose doesn't there?
I wish I HAD rellies that were loaded and were going to leave me a few bob.

Mines are all skint. So are the hubby's, lol.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I wish I HAD rellies that were loaded and were going to leave me a few bob.

Mines are all skint. So are the hubby's, lol.
You could marry yourself a very rich bloke, divorce him and screw him for every penny he has....

Damn... Why am I giving away my trade secrets?

Actually I don't think I have any fabulousy wealthy relatives from which I will get a penny.....and I haven't inherited anything of any monetary value EVER ....
Old Dec 7th 2012, 11:31 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
You could marry yourself a very rich bloke, divorce him and screw him for every penny he has....

Damn... Why am I giving away my trade secrets?

Actually I don't think I have any fabulousy wealthy relatives from which I will get a penny.....and I haven't inherited anything of any monetary value EVER ....

Yeah I once got good advice from Dorothy - marry a rich guy with a heart condition. I've done it all wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.