Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

Old Aug 12th 2013, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

OK .... So I'm not on the electoral role as I haven't lived in this country during an election since the 90's. I am away on holiday on the day of the election. I read somewhere that I need to register to vote by 8pm tonight. ...... and to cap it all off it's compulsary to vote in this country and I don't like politicians?

Easier to pay the fine???? I think so.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:08 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

Originally Posted by Beoz
OK .... So I'm not on the electoral role as I haven't lived in this country during an election since the 90's. I am away on holiday on the day of the election. I read somewhere that I need to register to vote by 8pm tonight. ...... and to cap it all off it's compulsary to vote in this country and I don't like politicians?

Easier to pay the fine???? I think so.
If you're not on the ER you won't be on the list to be fined
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Good job he doesn't live in the UK, it's against the law NOT to go onto the electoral roll, and people moving here to live are advised to get onto it ASAP, as that's one of the places looked at for a credit check etc.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:36 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Good job he doesn't live in the UK, it's against the law NOT to go onto the electoral roll, and people moving here to live are advised to get onto it ASAP, as that's one of the places looked at for a credit check etc.
exactly - its not against the law to not go on the ER in Aus. Also you can get credit just as easy without going on the ER so no worries..
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:58 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh this is good to know D

P.s don't show this to Scubaemma

Oh wait..........................oh for voting.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

exactly - its not against the law to not go on the ER in Aus. Also you can get credit just as easy without going on the ER so no worries..
Are you sure?
I was on the AEC site last night to get a postal oting paper and it says

You are required by law to enrol if you:

are an Australian citizen, or eligible British subject,
aged 18 years and over, and
have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17 you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll be able to vote.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

That isn't what it says on the AEC website:
It is compulsory to enrol and vote in federal elections or referendums if you:
  • are an Australian citizen, and
  • are 18 years of age or older*, and
  • have lived for at least one month at your current address
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
That isn't what it says on the AEC website:
snap
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well the appallingly well publicized 8pm deadline has come and gone and I was had other priorities like a work deadline and cooking dinner for a sick Mrs Beoz.

What to do now?

Evan Ekin-Smyth seems to think its OK, or she's revenue collecting.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226691412098
Old Aug 12th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Well the appallingly well publicized 8pm deadline has come and gone and I was had other priorities like a work deadline and cooking dinner for a sick Mrs Beoz.

What to do now?
You can still enrol, but you won't be able to vote in the September 7 election.

Takes a couple of minutes to enrol online.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

What to do now?

Evan Ekin-Smyth seems to think its OK, or she's revenue collecting.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226691412098
Not voting is quite understandable.....
The 'show just cause' form that non voters on the ER receive, should be filled in, including down the sides and in every spare space, change to red ink when you refer to your psychiatrist.

You don't get any further communication from them.

(Nope! Not me, but some radical 'stuff the system' acquaintances have done this with complete success).
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is noone worth voting for why should be legally obliged to vote?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Takes 5 minutes online now to apply for postal vote, on the grounds you are working on the day. When the form arrives just write across it"i do not agree with compulsory voting" and send it back. Too easy - and they can't fine you cos you have filled in the form.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 12th 2013 at 2:09 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 2:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Takes 5 minutes online now to apply for postal vote, on the grounds you are working on the day. When the form arrives just write across it"i do not agree with compulsory voting" and send it back. Too easy - and they can't fine you cos you have filled in the form.
Either that, or vote for all the candidates, spoilt vote..
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
If there is noone worth voting for why should be legally obliged to vote?
The theory is that if you don't choose from among all the idiots standing, you don't care which one gets elected and therefore you can't properly complain about the next government's policies.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.