Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to vote or is the fine easier?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Either that, or vote for all the candidates, spoilt vote..
There's ot much to choose between them, five minutes of tv last night proved that.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Originally Posted by chris955
If there is noone worth voting for why should be legally obliged to vote?
The theory is that if you don't choose from among all the idiots standing, you don't care which one gets elected and therefore you can't properly complain about the next government's policies.
And we know that Chris doesn't have anything to complain about when it comes to Australia.
Old Aug 12th 2013, 9:59 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are you sure?
I was on the AEC site last night to get a postal oting paper and it says

You are required by law to enrol if you:

are an Australian citizen, or eligible British subject,
aged 18 years and over, and
have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17 you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll be able to vote.
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
That isn't what it says on the AEC website:
Apologies I was wrong. Seems you must by law enrol on the ER

I know someone who's lived here 20 years and has never gone on it and hasn't been fined so I guess there's no way of them checking if you're not registered
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So if I enroll, but missed the deadline, and cannot vote, then I'm in the clear for a free Saturday and a fine.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

And we know that Chris doesn't have anything to complain about when it comes to Australia.
Absolutely right! He found the solution.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There's ot much to choose between them, five minutes of tv last night proved that.
You mean you watched it.....lol
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:59 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So if I enroll, but missed the deadline, and cannot vote, then I'm in the clear for a free Saturday and a fine.
At least by doing, you don't have to make sure you take suitable ID to the polling station......
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
At least by doing, you don't have to make sure you take suitable ID to the polling station......
Sounds like I don't need to attend the polling station as I didn't enroll by the deadline.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
You mean you watched it.....lol
Didn't have much choice, we had to play with the TV settings at work to get them running right for the next day
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:32 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

I can't really make clear sense of the rules regarding voting. I know it's supposed to be compulsory but why then can you take yourself off the electoral roll?

I took myself off when I last left Oz in 2010 and I'm sure the people at the Brissy office said that meant I didn't need to vote. Now I'm not sure at all but I guess it's largely irrelevant as I've missed the deadline to enrol again.

Does anyone actually know what the score is with this, or whether I'm likely to find myself in the poop when I next return to Oz?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by With All Due Respect...
I can't really make clear sense of the rules regarding voting. I know it's supposed to be compulsory but why then can you take yourself off the electoral roll?

I took myself off when I last left Oz in 2010 and I'm sure the people at the Brissy office said that meant I didn't need to vote. Now I'm not sure at all but I guess it's largely irrelevant as I've missed the deadline to enrol again.

Does anyone actually know what the score is with this, or whether I'm likely to find myself in the poop when I next return to Oz?
You don't need to be on the electoral roll if you're living outside Australia.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 2:31 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

You don't need to be on the electoral roll if you're living outside Australia.
Cheers! Didn't fancy being heavily fined or banged up in Brissy airport when I next come back on my hols or for good.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

There's the noone word again.

My Ozzie boss says that so many people don't vote and don't get fined because they can't police it all properly. So take ya chances.

Last edited by Alfresco; Aug 14th 2013 at 6:28 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 6:37 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Alfresco
There's the noone word again.

My Ozzie boss says that so many people don't vote and don't get fined because they can't police it all properly. So take ya chances.
My ex (years ago ex) got threatened with a fine when he travelled to the UK for his father's funeral, he sent his itinerary to them, never heard any more.

Last time there was a State election there was a local one at the same time, and you can't get postal votes for that. I was back home, so I got a postal vote sorted in advance for the State one, then got a bill for a fine for the local one - again they needed proof I was abroad before they were happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.