Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

do farmers ever stop moaning?

Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default do farmers ever stop moaning?

for years we've been hearing "there's not enough rain" and now this

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=88646

Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:47 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do farmers ever stop moaning?

Originally Posted by bridie

They will be after rain goes again soon

Last edited by Perthforme; Aug 4th 2008 at 1:56 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Its the wrong type of rain though.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't be a farmer unless you can moan - it's the law Not sure there is perfect weather for farmers, mother nature always stuffs up at some point.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

And do they give money back in times of plenty?

They certainly seem to be always on the look out for subsidies in times of famine.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: do farmers ever stop moaning?

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
And do they give money back in times of plenty?
Why should they? Do you?

They certainly seem to be always on the look out for subsidies in times of famine.
Not subsidies: drought relief. There's a world of difference. And who would begrudge them that?

UK farmers have their snouts and both feet in the Brussels gravy train, but I don't see them giving any money back "in times of plenty".
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:44 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i feel sorry for them farming must be hard work.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: do farmers ever stop moaning?

Well, let's see:

Pingelly grain grower John Hassell, who spent six hours on Thursday freeing a bogged truck, will have to spend about $20,000 using a plane to fertilise his fields. ā€œItā€™s $20,000 we didnā€™t expect to have to spend but one canā€™t complain when youā€™re getting rain,ā€ he said.

Mr Norton said despite some logistical problems, the rain was very welcome. Last month at least 179mm of rain fell in Perth, up on the July average of 172.9mm.

He said while some areas had not benefited from the rain early last month, the past few days had been a blessing.

ā€œEsperance is still a bit dry but this last batch of rain has been excellent as far as they are concerned,ā€ he said.
I didn't find any moaning there, did you? Quite the reverse, in fact.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Aug 4th 2008 at 5:46 am.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:48 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: do farmers ever stop moaning?

Originally Posted by kez81
i feel sorry for them farming must be hard work.
It's bloody hard work.

I have friends with a farm in the heart of the WA wheatbelt, and just one weekend up there is enough to bring home the reality of rural life.

It's not all cows and buttercups.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

the drought and rain has been an issue in australia for a long time. it's not new.

this peom by aussie poet Dorothea Mackellar was written in 1904. it could've been written just yesterday!

My Country

The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of rugged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gazeā€¦

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

and yes!..aussie love the rain!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's bloody hard work.

I have friends with a farm in the heart of the WA wheatbelt, and just one weekend up there is enough to bring home the reality of rural life.

I found it hard to find a quote worthy of Vash, so just picked the last one I saw.

Vash, you are so defendant of all things Australian and all "Battlers", why don't you come home son, and help us all here. It's great to see your posts on this website, but since you are so far away it's only words. If you were a true blue Australian you wouldn't be living in a country you have no love for and would be here defending the Australian way of life.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I found it hard to find a quote worthy of Vash, so just picked the last one I saw.

Vash, you are so defendant of all things Australian and all "Battlers", why don't you come home son, and help us all here. It's great to see your posts on this website, but since you are so far away it's only words. If you were a true blue Australian you wouldn't be living in a country you have no love for and would be here defending the Australian way of life.
He's coming back next year I think - can't make it any earlier because he's enjoying England too much.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:12 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
He's coming back next year I think - can't make it any earlier because he's enjoying England too much.
..ahhh, but is England enjoying him?

Answers on an Australian postcard (made using proudly owned and grown Australian trees) using an Australian pen (made using proudly owned and produced Australian plastics) filled with Australian ink (made using the testicles of a proudly owned and proudly nurtured Australian octopus)...oh and don't forget to use an Australian stamp.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:54 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
It's bloody hard work.

Stop complaining farmboy
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a Bank Manager commentating to a farmer that had had a good year with a record crop, the farmer without hesitation replied "aye but it takes it out of the soil".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.