Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Wikiposts

Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:10 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
not sure what you mean mate? why would this cut more deeply and more personally for non westerners than westerners?

Any new migrants whatever their background require housing and jobs and not being able to get these is distressing and equally as hard for everyone concerned so not sure what you mean mate?
He's new to oz AND living in canboringa,give him a break
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:13 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Brits move to Oz cause they think there are too many migrants in UK?

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly

Paul - have you settled in there mate?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I'll maybe be shot down in flames for this but... Something that I've noticed more since I've arrived in Australia - probably because once again I too am an immigrant, is the tough time people from non-Western countries are having settling here. I've been mixing with many of them due to our shared "new migrant" circumstances and I can't help feeling sorry for them because of their at least perceived discrimination when it comes to looking for jobs, rentals, etc. It can be quite heartbreaking: I've seen some at their wits end over this and have come to understand why so many end up retreating into the arms of their own communities and then apparently choosing not to assimilate.
I'm not so sure about this.

Every team I have worked on there has always been a healthy mix, if anything biased towards non-Westerners - and if their English skills are below par then there is some sort of affirmative, inclusive policy somewhere going on. I would not give some of these people jobs but someone is. I am sure there are whole 'non-Western' teams in 'non-Western' companies too if people want to go down that route.

There is also the phenomenon of some people almost setting up their own migro culture, which is still based on Australian culture.

I was having a jacket taken in with a man who operates a sort of a stall in the CBD - a heavily accented Russian who in the space of about 10 minutes had befriended and called out to anyone in earshot who was sort of south European. He was able to work out their language and call out to them. They all conversed in that 'G'Day Aussie' way that so many Greeks do in Melbourne - all getting by in Pidgin English - it's as if Aussie culture is a common currency..
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:54 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

not sure what you mean mate? why would this cut more deeply and more personally for non westerners than westerners?

Any new migrants whatever their background require housing and jobs and not being able to get these is distressing and equally as hard for everyone concerned so not sure what you mean mate?
Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining it so well. What I mean is non-westerners very easily find the early days of their migration experience to be at least as difficult as it is for westerner new arrivals to get started with everything and they question more quickly if it's because they are from a non western culture and whether they are victims of racism. This in my opinion makes it more likely that they'll seek refuge away from mainstream Australia and into their segregated communities causing the shining ideal of integration to dim in favour of segregation, AKA multiculturalism.

So in summary, we western new arrivals get over and on with it but I think the non westerners are at a more delicate crossroads and need a bit more up front reassurance. Call it preventative care if you like

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Oi!

Paul - have you settled in there mate?
Not bad thanks. Mostly just the final challenge of jobs remaining.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Feeling like a second class citizen in our own country was only 1 factor in us moving to Aus.
Moving to another country doesn't mean that you have to give up everything, such as beliefs, favourite foods etc. Although some people on forums mock you when you miss certain foods that you have grown up with and expect you to forgo anything British when you move here.
I do believe that you have to respect laws and the ways of the country that you move to (whether you believe them or not) and not expect that country to change their ways to suit yours.
Gone is the song Baa Baa black sheep and nativity plays and flying your country's flag. Just because it may offend ethnics.

One of the good things about aus is that there is still freedom of speech, sometimes it offends and people just have to shrug it off and get on with life.
In the UK there are too many do gooders telling you what you shouldn't do or say and most of the time, these people are not of the background that they are "defending". However, the enthic minorities are realisng that they can cry "racial discrimination" over things they probably wouldn't have normally reacted to.

Unfortunately though, Aus is slowly going the way of England.

When we came to Australia, we didn't expect hands outs, free, furnished and decorated housing. We came here for a better life and knew that we would still have to work our butts off to achieve this.
We have paid our way ten fold. Set up costs alone, such as housing, cars, school fees are putting back into the system, let alone taxes of all sorts.

As Australia was founded by an Englishman, ruled (and still is Ruled)by the Queen of England, I am sure we have as much right as anyone to be in this country.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnyj
As Australia was founded by an Englishman, ruled (and still is Ruled)by the Queen of England, I am sure we have as much right as anyone to be in this country.
What a bizarre statement (from a very bizarre post). Being English means shit all in Australia - and that's the way it should be.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:09 pm

lancastrian48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it one in four UK births now foreign
And one in ten people foreign by 2030

Champagne socilists damaged Britain beyond repair

Ever more giant mosques....too thick to see it's a muslim master plan
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant futuresunnyj has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What a bizarre statement (from a very bizarre post). Being English means shit all in Australia - and that's the way it should be.
You must be an aussie then. If not, I bet you are one of the people that think that once on australian soil, you must only think, eat and breath australian. I bet "Bizzarley" your name is Bruce.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You must be an aussie then. If not, I bet you are one of the people that think that once on australian soil, you must only think, eat and breath australian. I bet "Bizzarley" your name is Bruce.
And I think you are just plain bizarre.

Sounds like you are one of those poms who have a big chip on their shoulder. I laugh when they have a field day ripping people like you to shreds!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancastrian48
And one in ten people foreign by 2030
Foreign-born population of Australia, 2007: one in four.
Proportion of Australian Population born in Africa/Asia, 2009: one in nine.

Last edited by elfman; Feb 2nd 2011 at 1:25 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And I think you are just plain bizarre.

Sounds like you are one of those poms who have a big chip on their shoulder. I laugh when they have a field day ripping people like you to shreds!
So do I, the reason a lot of the time when I am round people like that I just keep my mouth closed for fear of being tarred with the same brush! (hard to imagine I know )
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

She's not the Queen of England she's the British Monarch but here she's the Queen of Australia.

No one's denying we have a right to be here, providing we've fulfilled the migration criteria, the same as everyone else, but it doesn't give us more right than anyone else.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I think different people settle in different ways, I've said before when we got PR the permanence knocked me sideways and I felt like a bit of a traitor to the Motherland.

I will forever call myself English, even if I see out the rest of my days in Oz, which I'm happy to do it's my home.

However, before you jump down my throat, or anyone elses for sharing that view, it's worth considering how many Aussies move to the UK and call themselves British, not many.

Anyway, I'm half cut and probably posting this on a thread about marmite

laters
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Foreign-born population of Australia, 2007: one in four.
Proportion of Australian Population born in Africa/Asia, 2009: one in nine.
All we need now is an Australian Daily Mail and we can all get outraged about it!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by bcworld
All we need now is an Australian Daily Mail and we can all get outraged about it!
We have - it's called Today Tonight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.