Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Wikiposts

Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:22 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Originally Posted by slipshot
Very true. Good thing is football is the fastest growing sport amongst both boys and girsl acorss the country and has been for a couple of years. It;s becoming more so too... espicially as parents are becoming more proetective and thus sports such as (G)a(y)fl and rugby are concerning to them given the porpensity for injuries. Not that it's not the case with football - but just different and potential for less.

It will come. Australia qualifying for the World Cup already is another good sign, regardless of how easy they had it, but also the fact the country has bid for 2018 and 2022 also helps put the country in place for the finals should they get it, and indeed help build the game if they do...
I sort of agree with you to a degree. I think another good performance in this WC will do wonders again. However, I'm not sure it will be enough. For Aus to really get the football bug it will need a high quality domestic league and due to the country's distance from anywhere else I am doubtful it can ever achieve that. Even if the grass roots players start to come through and play well you can guarantee that the European teams will snap them up quick smart. For football to become an Aussie culture then I think football needs to become the national and number one sport. For that, they would need to knock cricket, NRL, AFL and Union off their perches and given that both cricket and NRL are considered to be the best domestic leagues in the world for their sports and the cult style following that AFL gets I can't see that happening.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

The Asian Champions league is the Key, the other codes dont have international competition to that extent. It will be a long haul, I'm guesstimating it will take between 10 and 15 years and then only if Aus qualify for every world Cup. Gold Coast have spent a lot of money on enticing players here by Aussie Standards so the money will slowly seep through.

Aus is now 29th in the World on Fifa Rankings. The Change in perception of real football in this country since I arrived 30 years ago is already unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I sort of agree with you to a degree. I think another good performance in this WC will do wonders again. However, I'm not sure it will be enough. For Aus to really get the football bug it will need a high quality domestic league and due to the country's distance from anywhere else I am doubtful it can ever achieve that. Even if the grass roots players start to come through and play well you can guarantee that the European teams will snap them up quick smart. For football to become an Aussie culture then I think football needs to become the national and number one sport. For that, they would need to knock cricket, NRL, AFL and Union off their perches and given that both cricket and NRL are considered to be the best domestic leagues in the world for their sports and the cult style following that AFL gets I can't see that happening.
One other point, Melbourne Victory are already bigger in terms of support than any NRL team and closing the gap on the AFL teams. On a Par with North Melbourne at present.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2009 at 6:59 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the A-League too low quality to grab my attention ... and anyway I'm really starting to enjoy the more relaxed family friendly atmosphere at NRL and AFL games compared to football.

Also ... as a sports lover ... I'm also starting to like the fact that in global terms Australia has unique minority sporting cultures with its major sports. The wider sporting world would lose something unique if football became king and knocked the established NRL and AFL of their perches.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:44 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
Being a massive football fan, I wonder how many expats go and watch the games in the Australian soccer league, I realise it is no real substitute for the premiership and have heard you get to watch alot of the games. But actually going to a game is quite a buzz. So does anyone go out and watch the Perth Glory or the North Queensland Fury or anyone for that matter. Dodgy names for a soccer team though.
We'll do our best to see some of Adelaide United when we move. When visiting friends in other states, I'll certainly try and see a few other teams.

Maybe not the premiership but not all of us support a premiership team anyway - well it's been a fair while for us.

Cooler
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:49 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Maybe not the premiership but not all of us support a premiership team anyway - well it's been a fair while for us.

Cooler
Same here. But the problem is, the quality is like Div 2 football (if that) at Championship prices
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:17 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. But the problem is, the quality is like Div 2 football (if that) at Championship prices
As my team are in the Championship, I'd see that as poor value.

But I still see as an occasional outing but I'm sure that the kids will often be doing something anyway

Cooler
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm not sure about that one... It's 25 quid minimum to get into Palace if your not a season ticket holder. It's 25 bucks to walk up and get into Melbourne Victory... (or 50 bucks for 2 adults and 2 kids). Although I do agree with your views on the standard. The ultimate peak performance would be bottom of the Championship. So far this season I would be pushing it to say MV have managed a very average league one performance. They do have their moments though.

All 4 of us are members at MV for 330 bucks.... 14 home games.... and first option for finals including Australian national games.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 1st 2009 at 10:56 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:54 pm
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Hmmm not sure about that one... It's 25 quid minimum to get into Palace if your not a season ticket holder. It's 25 bucks to walk up and get into Melbourne Victory... (or 50 bucks for 2 adults and 2 kids). Although I do agree with your views on the standard. The ultimate peak performance would be bottom of the Championship. So far this season I would be pushing it to say MV have managed a very average league one performance. They do have their moments though.

All 4 of us are members at MV for 330 bucks.... 14 home games.... and first option for finals including Australian national games.
I think that is good value, like you say the price to go to Selhurst Park, which is a sub standard ground and the price you pay for a ticket is expensive but that might reflect in the London prices thing. Where I pay £30 a game which is alot but I'm a United fan so you do get real quality some of the time..
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

the company my husband works for are one of the main sponsors for Melbourne Victory and so we go to a few matches - we went up to see the first match against North Queensland Fury a couple of weekends ago in Townsville and it was a wonderful weekend and we really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the stadium and match.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

wednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant future

As a Gold Coaster I have yet to go to the "Temple of Boom" to watch Gold Cosst United, I will however be there for the TItans in the home semi final leg before going back to blighty to watch the mighty (ahem) Wolverhampton Wanderers.

If want to watch good soccer, get Austar.

Or pay $40 for an adult and junior, with free public transport (bus or train) mingle with the away fans, especially the Kiwis when the Warriors come to town, and enjoy a trouble free, game. Where no-one falls over (unless they're punched) anfd the cheer leaders are more entertaining than the championship.

Go Titans.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I think it will be a lot more popular next year in Melbourne with the new stadium opening (should see a big increase in supporter for Melbourne Storm games too). Apparently it should be very good for spectators and a true rectangular field rather than catering for athletics or AFL.

I also heard there was another Melbourne team planned for the A-League.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sr71
As an aside, I think it will be a lot more popular next year in Melbourne with the new stadium opening (should see a big increase in supporter for Melbourne Storm games too). Apparently it should be very good for spectators and a true rectangular field rather than catering for athletics or AFL.

I also heard there was another Melbourne team planned for the A-League.
Yes Melbourne Heart start up next year with Veduka rumoured to be the marquee player.

Extremely bad news for MVictory last night with their most solid and loyal player allegedly refusing to play. Danny Allsop is reported to have a 7 figure deal on the Table from a Qatar club. Hope its bullsheet.

Just heard on the radio that Veduka is supposedly signing for West Ham... so who knows re next year.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 1:44 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes Melbourne Heart start up next year with Veduka rumoured to be the marquee player.

Extremely bad news for MVictory last night with their most solid and loyal player allegedly refusing to play. Danny Allsop is reported to have a 7 figure deal on the Table from a Qatar club. Hope its bullsheet.

Just heard on the radio that Veduka is supposedly signing for West Ham... so who knows re next year.
Danny Allsop got homesick in the UK and moved back to Aus. So I doubt he will go to Qatar.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind watching the 'A' league cos it reminds me of watching Ashford Town FC on a sunday afternoon, the salary cap will keep the A league at its current level as any star performers head straight for the big money.

One thing that does wind me up though is listening to Mark Bosnich commentating on the quality and standard of the premiership, all his contributions went up his nose the twat
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:47 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I don't mind watching the 'A' league cos it reminds me of watching Ashford Town FC on a sunday afternoon, the salary cap will keep the A league at its current level as any star performers head straight for the big money.

One thing that does wind me up though is listening to Mark Bosnich commentating on the quality and standard of the premiership, all his contributions went up his nose the twat
Mark Bosnich is away with the fairies most of the time.

His commentating is terrible and he seems to know bugger all about the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.