Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:29 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough
Default Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Being a massive football fan, I wonder how many expats go and watch the games in the Australian soccer league, I realise it is no real substitute for the premiership and have heard you get to watch alot of the games. But actually going to a game is quite a buzz. So does anyone go out and watch the Perth Glory or the North Queensland Fury or anyone for that matter. Dodgy names for a soccer team though.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

i am a founder member of 2 time champion and current 'forgotten howe to play the game in the long off season' Melbourne Victory

It aint the same as supporting the mighty Brighton and Hove Albion back home, but it'll do.

In fact, A League is becoming something of a home for ex Brighton players...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I went and saw Perth Glory for their friendly against Wolves, and am going to try and get along to a few more games.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Have tried to get into soccer on the telly but have just not been able to.I would like to go to watch Perth Glory as you say you get a buzz of going to a live match.Got into Aussie rules after going to the games.Does anyone know how much it costs to go to a match?I will then have to talk my other half into going!

Not only dodgy names but dodgy kitsSue.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:42 am
Peace Frog

Yes I seen the dodgy kits and have picked up on the fact they call it a ladder instead off league. I would go and try and watch the Perth Glory when I eventually get there how much is it for a game. I pay £30 a game for united at the minute nice win against the gooners yesterday.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:45 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
Being a massive football fan, I wonder how many expats go and watch the games in the Australian soccer league, I realise it is no real substitute for the premiership and have heard you get to watch alot of the games. But actually going to a game is quite a buzz. So does anyone go out and watch the Perth Glory or the North Queensland Fury or anyone for that matter. Dodgy names for a soccer team though.
not without getting depressed. I've been to a few Roar games now and I end up walking away thinking I could play better. That's nothing to with arrogance, more to do with the sh!thouse level at which they play. I reckon Div 2 teams in the English league would beat most A-League teams
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:52 am
Peace Frog

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
not without getting depressed. I've been to a few Roar games now and I end up walking away thinking I could play better. That's nothing to with arrogance, more to do with the sh!thouse level at which they play. I reckon Div 2 teams in the English league would beat most A-League teams
I suppose when you see robbie fowler get signed up..
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:57 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose when you see robbie fowler get signed up..
exactly...and he's supposed to be the league's marquis player
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I seen the dodgy kits and have picked up on the fact they call it a ladder instead off league. I would go and try and watch the Perth Glory when I eventually get there how much is it for a game. I pay £30 a game for united at the minute nice win against the gooners yesterday.
You can go off some people you know!Sue.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:33 am
Peace Frog

Originally Posted by petensue
You can go off some people you know!Sue.
Oops. There is one thing you can guarantee that if I went to watch Perth Glory against there local rivals the Bunbury Boomerangs it ain't going to be same as watching united v Liverpool and watching all the scousers getting excited cos they thought they were going to win the league last year.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes one of the 20,000 members of Melbourne Victory.

Fantastic fun going to their games. I Still cannot believe that after 25 years of nothing to follow in this country that we finally have choice to do this now.

Uptil 4 years ago, It was the one thing from the UK that I really missed. They are even putting me through the same kind of Hell that Palace used to.... Ahhh Memories.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Your right, although it is a new league, and Gcoast have definitely raised the standards, plus they have gone up every year so far. I hang on to the fact that before the A league there was nothing to follow for the everyday fan.

Got to admit, I cannot think of any team that tortures its viewing public as much as Brisbane Roar. The amount of times they give away winning leads is beyond belief, I cant recall a team ever doing it as much in my 40 years of following football. I think it's time for them to get rid of Farina.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oops. There is one thing you can guarantee that if I went to watch Perth Glory against there local rivals the Bunbury Boomerangs it ain't going to be same as watching united v Liverpool and watching all the scousers getting excited cos they thought they were going to win the league last year.
I thought that maybe they were going to last year.I have told my husband to remind me not to bother to I stay up to 2 in the morning again after my Gooners through it away again with some stupid defendingSue.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:14 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

No
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
No
Your reply made me laugh as I hope the person that got upset with people replying with one liners does not read this or he/she will have a fit!Sue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.