Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Wikiposts

Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:36 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do any expats watch the Australian soccer league?

Originally Posted by petensue
Your reply made me laugh as I hope the person that got upset with people replying with one liners does not read this or he/she will have a fit!Sue.
- i though of that after i posted
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
No
Ditto
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:49 am
Peace Frog

dodge26 will become famous soon enoughdodge26 will become famous soon enough

No
Sort off..
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:08 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I watch proper football...
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:16 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dodge26
Being a massive football fan, I wonder how many expats go and watch the games in the Australian soccer league, I realise it is no real substitute for the premiership and have heard you get to watch alot of the games. But actually going to a game is quite a buzz. So does anyone go out and watch the Perth Glory or the North Queensland Fury or anyone for that matter. Dodgy names for a soccer team though.

Been to Gold Coast Utd games this season - the standard is OK, the atmosphere in the grounds is not so good.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:23 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
I watch proper football...
Which is?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
Been to Gold Coast Utd games this season - the standard is OK, the atmosphere in the grounds is not so good.
Brand new team.

MV do a pretty good job with their atmosphere.

When the new ground opens next year, Swan St, it will be like a Aussie version of Celtic Park. With close to 31,000 Capacity every week. They managed it on occasions at Olympic Park before they moved to Telstra Dome. They regularly had all four sides of the ground chanting before they moved.

Heres an early example.

Less than 6 months and it will be back to the above, with the Asian Championship games scheduled to be played to Swan Street. The Rest of Aus will play Catch up hopefully, with Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and possibly the Gcoast jumping on board. Newcastle and CCM always have good Atmosphere when they play each other and Sydney.

You should start to get good atmosphere at GC games when Brisbane play there, Then maybe the Sydney game as their fans are capable of travelling. Melbourne play there at the end of this month, but with two games at the GC this season the MV fans probably wont turn up enmasse, until the 2nd game in January. Should be quite a few MV fans there on the 26th of this month though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2009 at 4:26 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:37 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Brand new team.

MV do a pretty good job with their atmosphere.

When the new ground opens next year, Swan St, it will be like a Aussie version of Celtic Park. With close to 31,000 Capacity every week. They managed it on occasions at Olympic Park before they moved to Telstra Dome. They regularly had all four sides of the ground chanting before they moved.

Heres an early example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iLGoNfMq9Hc&feature=related

Less than 6 months and it will be back to the above, with the Asian Championship games scheduled to be played to Swan Street. The Rest of Aus will play Catch up hopefully, with Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and possibly the Gcoast jumping on board. Newcastle and CCM always have good Atmosphere when they play each other and Sydney.

You should start to get good atmosphere at GC games when Brisbane play there, Then maybe the Sydney game as their fans are capable of travelling. Melbourne play there at the end of this month, but with two games at the GC this season the MV fans probably wont turn up enmasse, until the 2nd game in January. Should be quite a few MV fans there on the 26th of this month though.
Aussie version of Celtic Park?

Well if it's gonnae be anything like Celtic Park, there'll be no singing aloud, only various flags/paraphernalia aloud - and no standing!

Not ideal is it for a fitbaw groon.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie version of Celtic Park?

Well if it's gonnae be anything like Celtic Park, there'll be no singing aloud, only various flags/paraphernalia aloud - and no standing!

Not ideal is it for a fitbaw groon.

They look like they are standing and singing to me... Although you should know I guess.

You hear plenty of Scottish accents at these MV games down here.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:06 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Your right, although it is a new league, and Gcoast have definitely raised the standards, plus they have gone up every year so far. I hang on to the fact that before the A league there was nothing to follow for the everyday fan.

Got to admit, I cannot think of any team that tortures its viewing public as much as Brisbane Roar. The amount of times they give away winning leads is beyond belief, I cant recall a team ever doing it as much in my 40 years of following football. I think it's time for them to get rid of Farina.
A lot of the time I don't think it has anything to do with ability. I've played quite a lot on the indoor circuit around Brisbane and there are plenty of technically proficient players out there. Where they are lacking is in the footballing brain area. Some of the decisions, placements, runs, defensive plays just make me think that they have only been playing the sport for a few weeks sometimes. I suppose that is the benefit that we have in England that nearly every kid plays football as soon as they are at school so it becomes a culture in which it is intilled from a very early age, almost a natural learning and understanding, while I get the feeling that for Aussie kkids it is a contrived learning or understanding
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:12 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carbery
I think the main problem with atmosphere at nearly all Aussie sporting venues is because they insist on playing their sports in 100k stadia when they know full well that they will only get 20k people rock up.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:14 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I think the main problem with atmosphere at nearly all Aussie sporting venues is because they insist on playing their sports in 100k stadia when they know full well that they will only get 20k people rock up.
I hate 'multi-purpose' stadiums. Take ANZ Stadium in Sydney, nice big ground, devoid of atmosphere even when there are 90,000 people in it.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:16 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I hate 'multi-purpose' stadiums. Take ANZ Stadium in Sydney, nice big ground, devoid of atmosphere even when there are 90,000 people in it.
The only time I have ever witnessed an atmosphere that is even close to what you would get at a British football ground is at State Of Origin at Lang Park.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:07 pm

They look like they are standing and singing to me... Although you should know I guess.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xfgqi-UahE8&feature=related

You hear plenty of Scottish accents at these MV games down here.
Only standing for the 'Walk On' - then it's toddle off back to your seat
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
A lot of the time I don't think it has anything to do with ability. I've played quite a lot on the indoor circuit around Brisbane and there are plenty of technically proficient players out there. Where they are lacking is in the footballing brain area. Some of the decisions, placements, runs, defensive plays just make me think that they have only been playing the sport for a few weeks sometimes. I suppose that is the benefit that we have in England that nearly every kid plays football as soon as they are at school so it becomes a culture in which it is intilled from a very early age, almost a natural learning and understanding, while I get the feeling that for Aussie kkids it is a contrived learning or understanding
Very true. Good thing is football is the fastest growing sport amongst both boys and girsl acorss the country and has been for a couple of years. It;s becoming more so too... espicially as parents are becoming more proetective and thus sports such as (G)a(y)fl and rugby are concerning to them given the porpensity for injuries. Not that it's not the case with football - but just different and potential for less.

It will come. Australia qualifying for the World Cup already is another good sign, regardless of how easy they had it, but also the fact the country has bid for 2018 and 2022 also helps put the country in place for the finals should they get it, and indeed help build the game if they do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.