Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dilema over estate agents

Wikiposts

Dilema over estate agents

Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Dilema over estate agents

Got a 4 bed detached house to sell in Rochdale near Manchester. Put house up with reputable firm Cowell & Norford 8 weeks ago. Put it up for 249500 first off, had 1 viewing. Decided 3 weeks ago to knock 10000 off asking price and had 1 more viewing who seemed interested but did not reply to cowell & norfords follow up call.House been on market now 8 weeks.Agent says world cup & now school holidays causing slow down in market.Already threatened them with sending 28 days notice letter but let them talk us round. Thing is have got to be in Brisbane before xmas and i can se time fading away too quickly. Do i give them more time? Dont really want to drop anymore although if offered 235000 tomorrow would probably snatch thier hand off. This is all getting rather depressing now for all the family. Just want to go but can t. Anyone been in a similar position. What did u do ? any advice greatfully recieved in advance

Cheers Raven

Last edited by raven; Jul 31st 2006 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dilema over estate agents

Originally Posted by raven
Got a 4 bed detached house to sell in Rochdale near Manchester. Put house up with reputable firm Cowell & Norford 8 weeks ago. Put it upo for 249500 first off had 1 viewing. Decided 3 weeks ago to knockk 10000 off asking price and had 1 more viewing who seemed interested but did not reply to cowell & norfords follow up call.House been on market now 8 weeks.Agent says world cup & now school holidays causing slow down in market.Already threatened them with sending 28 days notice letter. Thing is have got to be in Bribane before xmas and i can se time fading away too quickly. Do i give them more time? Dont really want to drop anymore although if offered 235000 tomorrow would probably snatch thier hand off. This is all getting rather depressing now for all the family. Just want to go but cant. Anyone been in a similar position. What did u do ? any advice greatfully recieved in advance

Cheers Raven
Ours was on the market over last summer hols with a useless agent. We sacked him. He got one person through in 6 weeks and told us that was normal.
We listed with another agent and they told us that on a poor week they'd have two viewings through, and on a good week, 4. They excelled themselves and bought through about 4 viewings a week, even in the holidays.
The new agent was appalled at the amount of viewings we'd been having with the other agent.
As a result, the house sold in a timely fashion and here we are. Even better, the agent was so good we actually didn't resent paying them their fee!

Change your agent, but make sure your house is sensibly priced. The market is flooded and you have to be competitive if you want to sell. Give your new agent your absolute bottom price, but tell him what you'd ideally like and set him to work.
HTH
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Got a 4 bed detached house to sell in Rochdale near Manchester. Put house up with reputable firm Cowell & Norford 8 weeks ago. Put it upo for 249500 first off had 1 viewing. Decided 3 weeks ago to knockk 10000 off asking price and had 1 more viewing who seemed interested but did not reply to cowell & norfords follow up call.House been on market now 8 weeks.Agent says world cup & now school holidays causing slow down in market.Already threatened them with sending 28 days notice letter. Thing is have got to be in Bribane before xmas and i can se time fading away too quickly. Do i give them more time? Dont really want to drop anymore although if offered 235000 tomorrow would probably snatch thier hand off. This is all getting rather depressing now for all the family. Just want to go but cant. Anyone been in a similar position. What did u do ? any advice greatfully recieved in advance

Cheers Raven
We are in Preston Lancashire,and exact the same thing here.Houses are just not moving if they are above £200.000.we have been on the market 12 weeks and are on our third agent.over the last 6yrs we have bought and done houses up and sold again within months of each other.This one is no different from the others.bought in Oct last yr 4 bed detached on good housing estate , done it all up very modern like new show home. put it up for sale in april had one viewing ( old couple in 60s).I phone estate agent every week for up date, to be told they just haven't got the people buying over 200.000.anyway rather than drop it we are going to now put it with stamp duty paid on it .and do an open day . anything is worth a try.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paka
We are in Preston Lancashire,and exact the same thing here.Houses are just not moving if they are above £200.000.we have been on the market 12 weeks and are on our third agent.over the last 6yrs we have bought and done houses up and sold again within months of each other.This one is no different from the others.bought in Oct last yr 4 bed detached on good housing estate , done it all up very modern like new show home. put it up for sale in april had one viewing ( old couple in 60s).I phone estate agent every week for up date, to be told they just haven't got the people buying over 200.000.anyway rather than drop it we are going to now put it with stamp duty paid on it .and do an open day . anything is worth a try.
Lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope it picks up good luck paka
Raven
Old Jul 31st 2006, 10:34 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Got a 4 bed detached house to sell in Rochdale near Manchester. Put house up with reputable firm Cowell & Norford 8 weeks ago. Put it up for 249500 first off, had 1 viewing. Decided 3 weeks ago to knock 10000 off asking price and had 1 more viewing who seemed interested but did not reply to cowell & norfords follow up call.House been on market now 8 weeks.Agent says world cup & now school holidays causing slow down in market.Already threatened them with sending 28 days notice letter but let them talk us round. Thing is have got to be in Brisbane before xmas and i can se time fading away too quickly. Do i give them more time? Dont really want to drop anymore although if offered 235000 tomorrow would probably snatch thier hand off. This is all getting rather depressing now for all the family. Just want to go but can t. Anyone been in a similar position. What did u do ? any advice greatfully recieved in advance

Cheers Raven

What websites do they list with? You really want to be with an agent that lists with rightmove as they have far and away the most visits from buyers. Also 28 days notice seems ridiculous (we had 10 days), I would give them notice anyway as if nothing has happened in a month you will be kicking yourself for not doing it. At worst you could then renegotiate with them and get a shorter notice period next time!!!

Good luck

Martyn
Old Jul 31st 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Raven

Hi Raven

Im in the same position as yourself...4 bed end terrace to sell> Had it up with an agent for 6 weeks with not a peep from either them or possible viewers. Asked to be released from the contract..they were not happy bunnies when i listed my reasons for cancelling..anyway got it going up with another EA this week( fingers crossed) at reduced price of £156,950 but will reduce further in a couple of weeks if no interest. I have to be in SA by oct 29th this year.. :scared: