Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did your move to Australia turn out to be everything you thought it would be?

View Poll Results: Did you're move to Australia turn out to be everything you thought it would be?
Yes, it was just what I expected and I'm very happy here. No regrets at all.
40.38%
Yes, it went well and even though I really miss my home-country I won't be moving back.
11.54%
Yes and I like it more than I thought I would, the best thing I ever did!
19.23%
No, it was nothing like I thought it would be and I regret ever coming.
5.77%
No, it was a complete culture shock, can't settle. If I had chance to go home I would.
7.69%
No, I really didn't like it and moved back to my home country.
3.85%
I found it very hard to settle at first but now I love it here.
3.85%
I struggled to get employment/sponsors so therefore had to come home.
1.92%
Not really, some of the family have settled and some haven't it's been difficult
5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Did your move to Australia turn out to be everything you thought it would be?

Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:43 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your move to Australia turn out to be everything you thought it would be?

Like most already commented, none of those applied to me. I came here as a spouse, making the marriage work more important than country we're in. All in all, Oz is my home. Has been from day one, love it, live it (15yrs so far) but had I not, no, the marriage would not have survived as OH did try living in Finland as well... Lucky I guess
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:53 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your move to Australia turn out to be everything you thought it would be?

Well we have been here 5 years now and at first I found it very hard to settle, and done my fair share of moaning about it.

Settled now and think the kids certainly have a better school life than they had in the UK. I still maintain that it's not forever here and stick to my original plans but very happy in the meantime.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I didn't have any firm expectations and try to remain that way.

It's turning out OK, I can't see me living anywhere else but I don't rule that out either. Life is full of infinite possibility ...

I totally agree.

I don't have any firm expectations either, I personally think that's the best way to think. It's great that it's turning out OK for you though.

You never know whats around the corner of life. I always try and keep an open mind. I always try and expect the unexpected, it has worked for me so far as in no nasty surprises in my life. It's a useful motto to live by.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your responses to this poll. Much appreciated.

I do realise that there isn't a question up there to suit all of your personal circumstances and I doubt that could ever be accomplished due to the diverse nature of ones experiences, but having said that, I think the poll has started to paint a picture of the majority's experiences as a whole.

If you haven't voted and you feel like one of the questions suits you or thereabouts, please vote.

Cheers all!

To whoever fixed the title of this thread, thank you!
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 2:17 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

It took a while to settle, I suppose it may be because I enjoyed the life I had in the UK. Now I'm happy wherever I am
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above for me...
No not what I expected and I did not expect to be here 14 years later (came on a temp work contract).

So, No not what I expected but I didn't have a clue and I like it.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:51 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I was happy with my life in the UK and I'm happy here.
Ups and downs in both countries, of course.
I'm glad I did it, it was an itch that needed to be scratched, and things are turning out well
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow 43 votes! Cheers all!
Old Feb 10th 2014, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW, can anybody tell me anything about the area of Manly. Brisbane please?

I have tried to do a search but it just comes up with Manly in Sydney.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 2:15 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Been to the british chippy 4 times
Was nice twice (when it first opened)
Only do a scottish night on a thurs (racist) wont be back
Been to the irish chippy 3 times
Once nice (when it first opened) twice it has been rank
I stopped promoting it on fb after the last serve of mushy chips

As for the poll
We came here for a laugh
With nothing to lose but money. It has turned out fantastic but i have notice i am really starting to miss family and friend the longer im here
It might have something to do with age?
We have less chance of getting to see the people we miss as we get older
Australia has been good for us as a family and the only drawback is not having the people we love most to share it with us
One thing that sticks with me is i dont really struggle to get up in the morning
I think that tells me im looking forward to my day ahead
Something i didnt in the uk
If im being very honest i wish i had done it years before
I also agree about the way this countries heading but i think its because noone protests that it annoys me

Lets just see what tomorrow brings
I might change my answer by then lol
Oh and i try not to expect too much out of life that way im never too disappionted
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soapy©
Been to the british chippy 4 times
Was nice twice (when it first opened)
Only do a scottish night on a thurs (racist) wont be back
Been to the irish chippy 3 times
Once nice (when it first opened) twice it has been rank
I stopped promoting it on fb after the last serve of mushy chips

As for the poll
We came here for a laugh
With nothing to lose but money. It has turned out fantastic but i have notice i am really starting to miss family and friend the longer im here
It might have something to do with age?
We have less chance of getting to see the people we miss as we get older
Australia has been good for us as a family and the only drawback is not having the people we love most to share it with us
One thing that sticks with me is i dont really struggle to get up in the morning
I think that tells me im looking forward to my day ahead
Something i didnt in the uk
If im being very honest i wish i had done it years before
I also agree about the way this countries heading but i think its because noone protests that it annoys me

Lets just see what tomorrow brings
I might change my answer by then lol
Oh and i try not to expect too much out of life that way im never too disappionted

Hiya Soapy

When you are talking about chippy's are you referring to the ones in Manly?

Love your feedback on why you went to Oz - this quote especially 'with nothing to lose but money'
Old Feb 12th 2014, 9:30 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Hiya Soapy

When you are talking about chippy's are you referring to the ones in Manly?

Love your feedback on why you went to Oz - this quote especially 'with nothing to lose but money'
rhank you!
both chip shops are in brisbane
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy©
rhank you!
both chip shops are in brisbane
I did comment last week to the staff that they have had a few bad reviews.....their reasoning was that they have been trying to employ new, younger, staff. As the one they had in that night was an Aussie who made a face when people asked for vinegar on their chips, I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot as far as the Brit/Irish market is concerned. Unfortunately the majority of their customers are now Aussies, who in the main will accept any old rubbish.

Christies Too, bit further north in Kedron Park Rd, still does excellent fish and chips for anyone up that way. They dipped a bit when they changed hands but have recovered their quality now
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unfortunately the majority of their customers are now Aussies, who in the main will accept any old rubbish.
And considering some of the shite that gets served up as 'food' in the UK, so will the Poms!
Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
And considering some of the shite that gets served up as 'food' in the UK, so will the Poms!
Not when it comes to fish n chips we won't! Noticeable change of clients at this one lately, trust me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.