Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did you migrate without visiting first?

Did you migrate without visiting first?

Old May 27th 2011, 11:44 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you migrate without visiting first?

It never ceases to amaze me how many people move to Australia without first having visited the place.

Did you visit first?

If not... do you think it was rational behaviour?
Old May 28th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you migrate without visiting first?

It took us 4 visits (1999, 2000, 2003, 2006) and 10 years from deciding to finally making the move in 2009
Old May 28th 2011, 12:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
It never ceases to amaze me how many people move to Australia without first having visited the place.

Did you visit first?

Why would it amaze you? Do you think my grandparents visited Canada before moving there 90 years ago? Or that the early settlers in Australia visited before moving 150 years ago? What's irrational about it? Is it more "rational" to go somewhere on holidays and decide you want to live there?
Old May 28th 2011, 12:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Did you visit first?

We moved to 3 countries without visiting first. We must be completely irrational!
Old May 28th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Sold the house/made arrangements/passed the medicals/sorted flights/turned the gas off here we all are.
Crazy cats that we are
Old May 28th 2011, 1:12 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Did you visit first?

I came without having been before. Yes it was rational.

Both of us had lived in foreign countries before now so knew that they do things differently in foreign lands.

Pre-determined that we would try and stick it out for at least 2 years and then if we didn't like it we would come back. If there was something seriously wrong we could come back sooner. Using the money not spent on the reccie trip.

We had no plans or desire to move back to where we were living when we left.

We would use the money saved from not doing a reccie to pay for the return trip. If no return trip then we would spend the money otherwise.

Reccies are just holidays and don't give enough of an impression of living somewhere to be useful.

Planned and budgeted for at least 3 months to set up. For us this was better than doing it as part of a reccie trip.

For us it was definitely the best decision. A reccie would have been a waste of time and money. I found the internet thing to be very handy.

Obviously each to their own. Different people different requirements and rationality.

Last edited by Rambi; May 28th 2011 at 1:16 am.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:18 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I came without having been before. Yes it was rational.

Both of us had lived in foreign countries before now so knew that they do things differently in foreign lands.

Pre-determined that we would try and stick it out for at least 2 years and then if we didn't like it we would come back. If there was something seriously wrong we could come back sooner. Using the money not spent on the reccie trip.

We had no plans or desire to move back to where we were living when we left.

We would use the money saved from not doing a reccie to pay for the return trip. If no return trip then we would spend the money otherwise.

Reccies are just holidays and don't give enough of an impression of living somewhere to be useful.

Planned and budgeted for at least 3 months to set up. For us this was better than doing it as part of a reccie trip.

For us it was definitely the best decision. A reccie would have been a waste of time and money. I found the internet thing to be very handy.

Obviously each to their own. Different people different requirements and rationality.
Yep, I followed my now wife out here without ever having been before
Old May 28th 2011, 1:20 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Nah - just decided to migrate to a place we'd never been, sorted everything out, sold the house, booked the flights, packed up & shipped out, got on a plane and voila.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:22 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yep, I followed my now wife out here without ever having been before
That's either very sweet or Stockholm syndrome.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like we were the only crazy and irrational ones...
Old May 28th 2011, 1:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I had been to QLD twice and Adelaide but never to WA. We got State sponsorship for WA and just moved without having been here and havent looked back.

I can not imagine living anywhere else to be honest, best decision we ever made.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Did you visit first?

Yes it was rational, well thought out and our reccie was our initial immigration which was to last a minimum of 2 years, by which time we would determine if it was for us, or return home.

If a holiday would give a person a reality check of what living in a new country was like there wouldnt be as many returning to their homeland after weeks, months or years.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:39 am
Just Joined

unhappy mum is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you visit first?

Nope, didn't visit first! Sold house, everything we own, packed suitcases and jumped on the plane. Now after 1 month we are struggling to adapt to our new life.
Homesickness has set in and its a daily battle to not buy the return tickets home
Visiting first would have been more like a holiday and not reality.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We moved to 3 countries without visiting first. We must be completely irrational!
Was that in question?

Visited Perth with a view to moving about 26 years ago. Hated it with a passion. Decided to move to GC on the spur of the moment and love it.
Old May 28th 2011, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Did you visit first?

Nope we visited first, that way we could decide where we wanted to live.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.