Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Did you make the right choice?

Did you make the right choice?

Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you make the right choice?

Originally Posted by lelchelle
Northern bird will be rubbing her hands and grinning like a cheshire cat at that reply ....just what she wanted to hear
I don't see why. I don't think I've ever seen NB slagging off the UK, she's simply said she enjoys living here.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:55 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No regrets, we made the right decision and are happy with our lot. Been here for 20 months now.

I am glad that my expectations were realistic, I read the good and not so good on BE and made a point of reading in the MBTTUK forum. I don't talk down the UK and never bought into the theory that everything is better in Australia, unlike large numbers of people, many of whom have not even visited.

I don't think of this as a new life, but it is the next chapter, it is an adventure for us and so far it has been a good one.
Bermudashorts has stolen my answer - except we've been here for 4 years.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:06 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was thinking the same

Northern bird will be rubbing her hands and grinning like a cheshire cat at that reply ....just what she wanted to hear
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes I was thinking the same
No idea why.

Originally Posted by Family of 3
I don't see why. I don't think I've ever seen NB slagging off the UK, she's simply said she enjoys living here.
Exactly.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 3:19 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we all see what we want to
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I always wanted to see Sandra Bullock sat on the end of my bed.... never seen her yet.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Its a funny one. If i was writing this a month ago i would probably have given a very differnt answer. A month ago i was set to go back. Even changed jobs to a role i could do from the UK. Now sat in Africa which would have been a easy run down from London and company had agreed to fund the move back.

But, my wife went back for the first time in 4 years a month ago and her assessment was simple. There is no way she would go back. Well, she would if i really wanted to, but she would be very unhappy.

At the same time i have learned a lesson that, even though i have done long stints away at work before, i really dont want to anymore and so am looking forward to a role back in Australia where i can do a nice cushy week on week off compared to my current role of 6 weeks on 2 weeks off. Also not too keen on getting shot at.

I think being here in this job and listening to my wife has focused my mind on what we have in Australia. I miss my friends a LOT and havent made any close friends in Australia which is not nice, i also miss family and this was causing me to see a lot of negatives in Australia and not the positives.

Now, its clear that the right choice is Australia. It isnt perfect, but it has a huge amount to offer and our lives are so much better by being here.

Its hard to pin down what that is exactly, but when i was home last and walking along Mandurah foreshore i just felt content and proud to call this home.
A very honest post - good for you.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 4:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, yes you do
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, just interested as that particular poster's wife was pro-UK so I wondered what the reasoning was behind the change of feelings.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Thank you C, I don't slate the UK, just my life in it and the fact my quality of life was inferior there.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:29 am
Gutter Gob!!

CF=0
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:38 am
Banned

Yes I must admit I wouldn't say no and she likes a bit of rough

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I always wanted to see Sandra Bullock sat on the end of my bed.... never seen her yet.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
CF=0
Not you too!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 10:51 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

dunno yet !
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No idea why.

Exactly.
Funny..a lot of people are agreeing with you there...

Originally Posted by northernbird
Thank you C, I don't slate the UK, just my life in it and the fact my quality of life was inferior there.
Speaking from someone who has been reading the board for the best part of 10 years and has seen you around for many of those, you've rarely slagged off the UK - and that last comment was not really an attack on the UK.

You've always tended to focus more on your life in Australia and the positives. And sometimes talked about the Lake District etc.

It seems recently that newer posters seem to have made their minds up about you based on the last few months.

Let's have a NB Fanclub...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.