Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Dental braces - Brisbane

Dental braces - Brisbane

Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dental braces - Brisbane

Hi, I have just returned from the dentist and we've been told that my son needs braces to straighten out a tooth that is going AWOL.

She sez that its not urgent and these days people are even getting braces on their teeth at 40. My son is 12.

As its not urgent i wondered if it would be wise to have a medical / dental insurance plan that could cover some of the cost. Thinking that once the qualifying period is up we could book him in to have it done. no doubt it won't be that simple but its an option i need to consider.

Can anyone offer any advice and can anyone offer any recommendations for an orthodontist in the forest lake, brisbane area/

Many thanks
Jazzys
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dental braces - Brisbane

Originally Posted by jazzys
Hi, I have just returned from the dentist and we've been told that my son needs braces to straighten out a tooth that is going AWOL.

She sez that its not urgent and these days people are even getting braces on their teeth at 40. My son is 12.

As its not urgent i wondered if it would be wise to have a medical / dental insurance plan that could cover some of the cost. Thinking that once the qualifying period is up we could book him in to have it done. no doubt it won't be that simple but its an option i need to consider.

Can anyone offer any advice and can anyone offer any recommendations for an orthodontist in the forest lake, brisbane area/

Many thanks
Jazzys
We go to Brisbane Orthodontics and my daughter sees Rick Olive: www.brisbane-orthodontics.com.au. He also did OH's adult braces. He's been brilliant so far and they are a very professional outfit. They are based in the city but also have time slots at Coopers Plains dental surgery which is where I go as it's easier to get to (you will have to take your son for monthly appts to get them tweaked).

Re private health, I think you have to go on a fairly hefty policy to get ortho covered (could be wrong). We're on a fairly low end policy with Medibank Private and I don't get anything back.

The braces are costing $5,500 for my 11 year old so it's worth weighing up which way is going to work out most effective financially for you. You have to pay about $2k up front and then the rest can be paid off monthly (about $200). Good luck!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We are on top cover with Medibank and you still get very little back, my daughters braces are going to cost $5,000 over a 2 year period. We will get about $200 per year back, so don't take out private health care just for orthodontics - as far as I am aware no fund will give you much back for it.
My advice would be to go and see as many orthodontists as you can bear and make your mind up from that. (That's what we did). Remember you have to visit them monthly as rabsody said, so in my opinion I would make it someone you can get to fairly easily.
My daughter sees Dr Yap in Aspley, but although his work is extremely good, he is a very meticulous man and doesn't take to kids who don't do everything he says! My daughter is fine with him as she is painstakingly careful with her braces but I've heard he can go on a bit when the kids eat gum or nuts or something that is banned. If you want his address and phone number just say and I'll happily give it to you. I can definately recommend his work, my 35 yr old friend has just finished her very complicated treatment with him and her teeth look fantastic now.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about health cover but most dentists will let you pay over the length of time of the braces so it's not so hard on the wallet.