Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

decking - what wood to use?

Wikiposts

decking - what wood to use?

Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:35 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: decking - what wood to use?

Originally Posted by youngy73
it will cost you another $250 in stain if my deck is anything to go by. i used cetol deck ( i think thats right)
Never used that, I always recommend Cabots, or if your a sneaky bugger like me... Junkers I smuggled mine in from the Uk. 40l drum

Ste
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:36 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Never used that, I always recommend Cabots, or if your a sneaky bugger like me... Junkers I smuggled mine in from the Uk. 40l drum

Ste
what about sikkens (sp?)
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:38 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
what about sikkens (sp?)
Vunderbar
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:43 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Vunderbar
i was trying to tell OH about this thread after he got home from work tonight, he was goosed...........and he muttered 'SIKKENS', so i thought i'd better ask. i take it as okay?
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:48 pm
Banned

i was trying to tell OH about this thread after he got home from work tonight, he was goosed...........and he muttered 'SIKKENS', so i thought i'd better ask. i take it as okay?
Im, not a Sikkens or Cuprinol man.. but my dad always swore by Sikkens, and that brand that began with R.

Cant remember their name.

Its all about the density of solids in the oil. To my recollection, the higher the solids, the longer the drying out period, and perhaps the stickier the job... but the longer lasting and more durable the finish.

Hence I always used Junkers on our flooring jobs.

Regardless to say, even on dark merbau, use an oak coloured stain/oil. This gives a darker richer finish.

Ste
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

for all you professionals out there, what wood would you recommend for decking?

the people that we have had in for quotes are non-commital and have said it is personal choice.
Tallow wood.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:32 am
Never going back

Im, not a Sikkens or Cuprinol man.. but my dad always swore by Sikkens, and that brand that began with R.

Cant remember their name.

Its all about the density of solids in the oil. To my recollection, the higher the solids, the longer the drying out period, and perhaps the stickier the job... but the longer lasting and more durable the finish.

Hence I always used Junkers on our flooring jobs.

Regardless to say, even on dark merbau, use an oak coloured stain/oil. This gives a darker richer finish.

Ste
star man ..............thanks for your advice.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:34 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Tallow wood.
oops, now you've thrown a spanner in the works, merbau was leading by a head...............why tallow wood?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:42 am
Banned

oops, now you've thrown a spanner in the works, merbau was leading by a head...............why tallow wood?
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...p/t-18227.html
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:55 am
Never going back

just been looking at one website, and it mentioned 'grade', with either 'select' or 'character' as the choice. i'm second guessing that character means you can get allsorts in your 45m2 batch?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:03 am
Banned

just been looking at one website, and it mentioned 'grade', with either 'select' or 'character' as the choice. i'm second guessing that character means you can get allsorts in your 45m2 batch?
All timber products are graded.

In flooring and decking... the grading system changes from place to place.

1. select or better ( free from nots )
10. rustic country or character grade, knots splits and imperfections.

However, grading is visual only. Im not aware of any regulations for strength grading timber other than specific density.

Ste
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:18 am
Banned

Okies..

Heres how it worked in Wood and Timber Flooring.

With select, basically... each piece of timber is visually checked for imperfections.. such as knots, splits, bow, irregular colours etc.

Example in Merbau, theres a phenomenen in the timber, that is called spotting, or sulphur deposits, these are lime luminous green and very sought after.

The best timbers are timbers that grow slow and tall, and are thin trunked with not many branches.. hence merbau etc are good choices, as there are very very few knots.

Its a straight grained timber, and I have never seen a character/rustic grade merbau, in all the years we have supplied installed flooring products, but thats not to say they do not exist.

When you buy timber, irrespective of where its being installed, in or out its imperative that moisture content be minimal, ie below 8%.

When a timber yard chooses your wood, they can mix batch your timber across a few different grades. This is acceptable.

When laying the decking dont fit the pieces as they come off the pack, mix n match.

Look at the end grain of the timber, if you can see the grain and it curls up, then fit the next piece with the grain curling down.

This minimizes cupping.

Only really applicable to soft woods.

Ste
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:28 am
Never going back

Okies..

Heres how it worked in Wood and Timber Flooring.

With select, basically... each piece of timber is visually checked for imperfections.. such as knots, splits, bow, irregular colours etc.

Example in Merbau, theres a phenomenen in the timber, that is called spotting, or sulphur deposits, these are lime luminous green and very sought after.

The best timbers are timbers that grow slow and tall, and are thin trunked with not many branches.. hence merbau etc are good choices, as there are very very few knots.

Its a straight grained timber, and I have never seen a character/rustic grade merbau, in all the years we have supplied installed flooring products, but thats not to say they do not exist.

When you buy timber, irrespective of where its being installed, in or out its imperative that moisture content be minimal, ie below 8%.

When a timber yard chooses your wood, they can mix batch your timber across a few different grades. This is acceptable.

When laying the decking dont fit the pieces as they come off the pack, mix n match.

Look at the end grain of the timber, if you can see the grain and it curls up, then fit the next piece with the grain curling down.

This minimizes cupping.

Only really applicable to soft woods.

Ste
MMMWWWWAAAHHHHH

k sent xx
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:33 am
Banned

MMMWWWWAAAHHHHH

k sent xx
Your very welcome thankyou.

Heres the decking entry at my last place, took me and wife 2 days to do, including joists. Took 2 days to do padstones.

http://www.dayboro.com.au/entry.php

Ste

Oh and do a bread board edge. ie picture framed edge around the deck, takes a little longer to do, but looks FAB !
Old Apr 19th 2008, 11:42 am
Never going back

Your very welcome thankyou.

Heres the decking entry at my last place, took me and wife 2 days to do, including joists. Took 2 days to do padstones.

http://www.dayboro.com.au/entry.php

Ste

Oh and do a bread board edge. ie picture framed edge around the deck, takes a little longer to do, but looks FAB !
very nice, had a nosey at the house as well. how many m2 was the entrance, roughly?

two questions.............

what are padstones?

bread board edge? do you mean get one piece of wood and edge the area first, and then run the rest all together (ie in lengths) - wish i could draw it on here?!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.