Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Decent pub on the Gold Coast?

Decent pub on the Gold Coast?

Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Decent pub on the Gold Coast?

by this I mean decent selection of beers, customers older than 25, place with bar stools perhaps and not just tables, decent food, good ambience and not just bright lights, poxy pokies and a tab etc - does such a place exist? Help?
Old Dec 1st 2007, 1:45 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Decent pub on the Gold Coast?

Im afraid you left those pubs behind in dear old Blighty.
If your after an older clientele at the weekend try Melbas in surfers,the people even dress in there but the drinks a bit dearer than most places.
You could even try the Irish pub across from it.

The Avenue doesent have pokies,thats our favoured pub, but you wont get barstools.

Just think how good going for a beer will be if you go back 'up the road' on holiday.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sdunx
by this I mean decent selection of beers, customers older than 25, place with bar stools perhaps and not just tables, decent food, good ambience and not just bright lights, poxy pokies and a tab etc - does such a place exist? Help?
there is an olde fashioned English country styled pub opening at the foot of Mt Tambourine...seen the pics..lovely, even with an axminster carpet and open fire, believe its opening in Feb 2008..maybe someone living in this area can add something further!!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

The Woodchoppers Inn in Mudgeeraba - right in the centre of the village - half is a restaurant and the other half a good old fashioned pub with bar stools, a roaring fire in the winter and not a pokie in sight. There's live entertainment most weekends as well. Not very big inside, but a lovely atmosphere. Never eaten there, but have heard the food is okay - more bar food than restaurant quality though.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:11 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Best kept secret on the Gold Coast - The Back Page at Carrara - not a pokie in sight, cheap cold beer, poor food. The locals can be a bit intimadating but are mainly harmless when a 'stranger' walks in its like the jukebox stops and everyone turns round and looks!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:13 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

been meaning to have a pint of G at Clancy's at Mt Tamborine.

There was a write up on it a couple of weeks back saying how good the food and craich is.

HTH
Old Dec 1st 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
The Woodchoppers Inn in Mudgeeraba - right in the centre of the village - half is a restaurant and the other half a good old fashioned pub with bar stools, a roaring fire in the winter and not a pokie in sight. There's live entertainment most weekends as well. Not very big inside, but a lovely atmosphere. Never eaten there, but have heard the food is okay - more bar food than restaurant quality though.
I had a steak at the Woodchoppers and it was one of the best I have ever had
Old Dec 1st 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
I had a steak at the Woodchoppers and it was one of the best I have ever had
Thanks - Sounds the ticket might make my way down there today for an ale or two
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:03 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Sounds good,I think we'll give that a try one day.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:12 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

The other option is surf clubs. Our favorite is Nobby Beach SC,million dollar views for the price of a pint. My favorite Sunday is to go there early armed with the latest edition of the Weekly Telegraph (I know I'm sad) sit on the terrace under the shade and spend a relaxing time catching up on news from shivering UK.All for the annual SC fee of $6!
Old Dec 1st 2007, 10:19 pm
Work to Live!

We like to head to the Southport Surf Club at Main Beach on Sundays for breakfast,its relaxing and the views great.
Its so much better than getting up on a Sunday morning in the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brido
We like to head to the Southport Surf Club at Main Beach on Sundays for breakfast,its relaxing and the views great.
must admit Surf clubs offer the best value in Australia, when I visit Noosa we always head for the surf club on Hastings - prime position, superb views, great food and cheap beer, beats drinking out of a vase at $8 a pop up the road in one of them 'chic' (wank) trendy places.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I have not been there since it has been refurbished. We used to go there 3-4 times a week as we had a management rights business right opposite. We had some great meals there.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 11:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good,I think we'll give that a try one day.
Fantastic food at the Woodchoppers apparently. Well known for it.