British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   A decent cup of Tea, How English!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/decent-cup-tea-how-english-544681/)

Vin 'n Bin Jun 23rd 2008 12:51 pm

Re: A decent cup of Tea, How English!!!

Originally Posted by Jamiem (Post 6494961)
I actually don't mind Dilmah at all, or Liptons. -But being from Yorkshire I can make fantastic tea out of any tea bag :cool:

Me too :lol:...although I'm from the other side of the Pennines ;);)...I like Dilmah too.
Looks like I'll have to travel further to find a Coles which sells PG Tips :unsure:
In the meantime my friend in the UK sends it over to me :D
Many moons ago I used to know the chimps (PG Tips), their owner used to bring them to where I worked..and the 'daddy' chimp would bring me a block of Cadbury's....then break it and give me the smallest piece :lol:...they were very intelligent and friendly with many a sloppy 'kiss'.

UK-2-OZ Jun 23rd 2008 12:57 pm

I find Tetleys really strong here. We use Liptons or Bushells both really good.

Hutch Jun 23rd 2008 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by homewardbound (Post 6494813)
WHERE can I get Yorkshire Tea Hutch???? I'm on Tetleys after a week of Liptons (yuck)... Tetleys is ok but not as good as Yorkshire!

They just sell it in this little shop down the road from us - loose leaf and teabag variety. :)

Jamiem Jun 23rd 2008 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin (Post 6494987)
Me too :lol:...although I'm from the other side of the Pennines ;);)...I like Dilmah too.
Looks like I'll have to travel further to find a Coles which sells PG Tips :unsure:
In the meantime my friend in the UK sends it over to me :D
Many moons ago I used to know the chimps (PG Tips), their owner used to bring them to where I worked..and the 'daddy' chimp would bring me a block of Cadbury's....then break it and give me the smallest piece :lol:...they were very intelligent and friendly with many a sloppy 'kiss'.

I used to 'see' the PG tips chimps too... but the doctor gave me some special pills which made them go away. I was so sad, I wish they were still here. :p

Vash the Stampede Jun 23rd 2008 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen (Post 6494437)
I know I sound like an old fart, but isn't the tea here absolutely pants?

We have a cupboard full of half used boxes, before giving up and going on a british tea bag hunt. We have now tracked down a shop that sells PG Tips Pyramid tea bags! But horror of all horrors when we went to restock on Saturday, they had sold out. We have three bags left for a whole week, I know how sad, but there's nothing like a good cuppa! And Aussie tea is nothing like a good cuppa.

Has anyone found any PG Tips substitutes or any big stockists of PG Tips in Brisbane?

Parched of Ferny Hills!!!!

I didn't know Australia had its own brand of tea. :confused:

In fact, the brands you get Down Under are mostly the same brands you get in the UK. So when you say "Aussie tea is pants", are you referring to...

Tetley? (Originally English; now owned by India's TaTa group)
Twinings? (English)
Dilmah? (Sri Lankan)
Lipton? (Originally Scottish; now owned by Unilever)

These are the most common brands of tea in Australia, but none of them are Australian.

emmyjc1 Jun 23rd 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede (Post 6496274)
I didn't know Australia had its own brand of tea. :confused:

In fact, the brands you get Down Under are mostly the same brands you get in the UK. So when you say "Aussie tea is pants", are you referring to...

Tetley? (Originally English; now owned by India's TaTa group)
Twinings? (English)
Dilmah? (Sri Lankan)
Lipton? (Originally Scottish; now owned by Unilever)

These are the most common brands of tea in Australia, but none of them are Australian.

No Australia do have there OWN tea now the ad is on Constantly on Channel 10.
http://www.unilever.com.au/ourbrands...akfast-Tea.asp
The Tea here does taste different even the Tetley which you think would be the same.

Grayling Jun 23rd 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by emmyjc1 (Post 6496469)
No Australia do have there OWN tea now the ad is on Constantly on Channel 10.
http://www.unilever.com.au/ourbrands...akfast-Tea.asp
The Tea here does taste different even the Tetley which you think would be the same.

We find that the only tea worth drinking is one of the Dilmah ones.....of those generally available.

They may all be produced by the same companies but IMO the UK gets the best and Australia gets the floor sweepings:lol:

G

sonlymewalter Jun 23rd 2008 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 6496488)
They may all be produced by the same companies but IMO the UK gets the best and Australia gets the floor sweepings:lol:

G

:rofl:

The tea is made for a different market and for a different taste in the market sector. That's common practice in marketing.

Possums Jun 23rd 2008 10:11 pm

we too have been through every brand most are cack, if your into loose tea then T2 is very good and they do a lovely Earl Grey :thumbup:

www.t2tea.com.au

best i've found in the supermarket is Lan Choo and the tetleys extra strong.

Kooky. Jun 23rd 2008 11:38 pm

I don't drink breakfast tea (is that black tea?) but I've seen Yorkshire Tea in Coles here in Sydney.

I get most of my flavoured teas from T2. :thumbup:

homewardbound Jun 24th 2008 12:26 am

Hutch I was at Berry on Sunday but they didnt have any... might have to move near coles in sydney as nowra coles didnt have it either.

As much as people poo poo these small comforts - i think they do make a difference into settling in when the homesickness starts. All i need to do is find my baccy and I will be fine! But I dont that is ever going to happen!

DunRoaminTheUK Jun 24th 2008 4:36 am

We have a cupboard full of half used boxes, before giving up and going on a british tea bag hunt. We have now tracked down a shop that sells PG Tips Pyramid tea bags! But horror of all horrors when we went to restock on Saturday, they had sold out. We have three bags left for a whole week, I know how sad, but there's nothing like a good cuppa! And Aussie tea is nothing like a good cuppa.

Has anyone found any PG Tips substitutes or any big stockists of PG Tips in Brisbane?

Oh I dunno.

I absolutely love Dilmah (Ceylon) tea. It's better than anything I've had in the UK.

MartinLuther Jun 24th 2008 7:51 am

Yorkshire Tea (including Tetley) is rubbish everywhere. I can't take anyone seriously who says the tea is rubbish and then mentions Tetley as their favourite tipple. :p It's like a Carling drinker saying Aussie beer is shite when they've only tried VB :rolleyes:

Dilma Extra Strong - Square Bags. May even be, better than PG. ;):D

BadgeIsBack Jun 24th 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 6497755)
Yorkshire Tea (including Tetley) is rubbish everywhere. I can't take anyone seriously who says the tea is rubbish and then mentions Tetley as their favourite tipple. :p It's like a Carling drinker saying Aussie beer is shite when they've only tried VB :rolleyes:

Dilma Extra Strong - Square Bags. May even be, better than PG. ;):D

Can't even say I've even noticed.:p Friends of ours who were born bona fide Tesco/3 bed semi floating floor/Sunday yorkshire pud/Laura Ashley Brits seem happy with what they can buy in Australia. The mother practically salivates when you mention a cuppa, and gets a glint in her eye - boy oh boy - when you offer a refill.

I was trying to find the advert from the late 80s which said:

Always make sure the urn is warm...
Always use freshly drawn water..

My wife aerates the water by pouring from a great height and ensures the water has stopped boiling completely, then places a little lid over the cup to brew. The lid then receives the teabag so it can dry before being discarded. She's not even a Pom.

biggy Jun 24th 2008 10:06 am

No point in looking for "English Tea" as it wont taste the same with aussie water. Dilmah tea is the way to go. Bushells is shit.