British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   A decent cup of Tea, How English!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/decent-cup-tea-how-english-544681/)

Cheshire Karen Jun 23rd 2008 10:24 am

A decent cup of Tea, How English!!!

I know I sound like an old fart, but isn't the tea here absolutely pants?

We have a cupboard full of half used boxes, before giving up and going on a british tea bag hunt. We have now tracked down a shop that sells PG Tips Pyramid tea bags! But horror of all horrors when we went to restock on Saturday, they had sold out. We have three bags left for a whole week, I know how sad, but there's nothing like a good cuppa! And Aussie tea is nothing like a good cuppa.

Has anyone found any PG Tips substitutes or any big stockists of PG Tips in Brisbane?

Parched of Ferny Hills!!!!

busterboy Jun 23rd 2008 10:26 am

Re: A decent cup of Tea, How English!!!

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen (Post 6494437)

We have a cupboard full of half used boxes, before giving up and going on a british tea bag hunt. We have now tracked down a shop that sells PG Tips Pyramid tea bags! But horror of all horrors when we went to restock on Saturday, they had sold out. We have three bags left for a whole week, I know how sad, but there's nothing like a good cuppa! And Aussie tea is nothing like a good cuppa.

Has anyone found any PG Tips substitutes or any big stockists of PG Tips in Brisbane?

I have no problems with Tetley.

Pomster Jun 23rd 2008 10:28 am

and Twinings is on sale everywhere- one of the UK's major exports even though it is only blended there.

purple rain Jun 23rd 2008 10:36 am

yep, Twinnings english breakfast tea, my fav and you can get it in most large supermarkets

I love my cuppa!!!!!

Jacqui

Hutch Jun 23rd 2008 10:40 am

Can't stand tea - but the missus couldn't get by without a decent cuppa - so she was very grateful to discover that they sell nice strong Yorkshire tea in the treat factory just down the road. :D

emmyjc1 Jun 23rd 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen (Post 6494437)

Most Coles sell PG from the UK.

Cleopatra Jun 23rd 2008 10:52 am

I'm not sure where you are but try this place:

http://www.theteacentre.com.au/

It was posted a few months ago and is a place on my list waiting to be visited.

They do both strong English Breakfast and a slightly stonger Irish Breakfast.

Cheshire Karen Jun 23rd 2008 11:05 am

Thanks for all your suggestions. Most helpful.:thumbsup:

Cleopatra Jun 23rd 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen (Post 6494620)
Thanks for all your suggestions. Most helpful.:thumbsup:

You're welcome.

homewardbound Jun 23rd 2008 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 6494511)
Can't stand tea - but the missus couldn't get by without a decent cuppa - so she was very grateful to discover that they sell nice strong Yorkshire tea in the treat factory just down the road. :D

WHERE can I get Yorkshire Tea Hutch???? I'm on Tetleys after a week of Liptons (yuck)... Tetleys is ok but not as good as Yorkshire!

Jamiem Jun 23rd 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by homewardbound (Post 6494813)
WHERE can I get Yorkshire Tea Hutch???? I'm on Tetleys after a week of Liptons (yuck)... Tetleys is ok but not as good as Yorkshire!

They have Yorkshire Tea (the world's finest tea ;-) here in Perth :eek:

sonlymewalter Jun 23rd 2008 12:13 pm

Tetley's but it has to be the round bags:thumbsup:

The other Tetleys tastes like cats piss:eek:

Urno Jun 23rd 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 6494855)
Tetley's but it has to be the round bags:thumbsup:

The other Tetleys tastes like cats piss:eek:

We like Dilmah, which we reckon is as strong as Yorkshire Tea. Definitely in the "decent" bracket.

Vin 'n Bin Jun 23rd 2008 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jamiem (Post 6494845)
They have Yorkshire Tea (the world's finest tea ;-) here in Perth :eek:

I just love 'Lancashire Tea'...lovely and strong :D
But I really love PG Tips which I could once buy in Coles but they don't have it any more :(...well not the nearest big Coles near us :unsure:

Jamiem Jun 23rd 2008 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin (Post 6494940)
I just love 'Lancashire Tea'...lovely and strong :D
But I really love PG Tips which I could once buy in Coles but they don't have it any more :(...well not the nearest big Coles near us :unsure:

I actually don't mind Dilmah at all, or Liptons. -But being from Yorkshire I can make fantastic tea out of any tea bag :cool: