Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:43 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
You seem to have omitted Northern Ireland! Or don't they count!

Northern Ireland is a separate issue!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:26 pm
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
It's been a gradual drip drip for me.

From the lack of morals, lack of respect, lack of appropriate punishment for offenders, lack of decent public transport, lack of sensible immigration policy, lack of national identity, etc, etc.

The increasingly maddening and often ludicrous PC-ness that stifles everything it touches. The way our leaders and decision-makers ( national govt., local govt., leaders of companies and organistaions ) bow to the lobbyists and pressure groups at the expense of the great majority.

Foreign policy, in oh so many ways.

The unwillingness to deport those who openly wish to destroy our country and our way of life ( or perhaps it's the inability to do so, due to our legal system ).

The weather.

I could go on and on and on.

However, Britain still has many good things about it. But that wasn't the question.

I totally agree....but to add....watching a magistrate or judge ,time and time again, give out THE MOST pathetic sentance to an offender despite the fact that he/she has committed a terrible crime and deserves a minimum of 10 years to life.Our judicial system is ...well i simply have no words .....a complete waste of time doesnt even begin to cover it!!
And to add to the immigration problem ... immigration paying for a family of 5 Albanians to travel from Hertfordshire to Brighton by black cab and then paying for them to stay in The Royal Hotel in Brighton at £105 per night per room (2) ....if thats going on around the country which i have no doubt it is then its no surprise the Uk is out of their depth!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:33 pm
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Northern Ireland is a separate issue!!!!

oh my gosh - what have I started - thanks for all the all the replys of people who understood what I was driving at.... perhaps I was being a bit too
esoteric for some, but that is my fault in the way I worded my question..

let me put it in another way,

The home I grew up was a three bed semi in suburbia and our ajoining neighbours where two spinster sisters who had lived in this house since it was
built in the late 1930`s - both the nicest people you could ever wish to meet -

Their life`s work was their gardens - front and rear - which where imaculate
, in a sort of pre-war show house sort of way. They `cared` in other words
perhaps not really in what other people thought about them but by, in having a lovely front garden , this would improve everybody elses world just a little bit -

Well sadly in the middle nineties both these ladies passed away and the house was sold, and `Wayne` duely moved in and with-in two weeks had
totally concreted over the front garden so that he could park his `white van`
on it.....

This is what I am getting at.. I want my neighbours front garden back and
I am very sad that this is never going to happen..
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougggy
oh my gosh - what have I started - thanks for all the all the replys of people who understood what I was driving at.... perhaps I was being a bit too

The home I grew up was a three bed semi in suburbia and our ajoining neighbours where two spinster sisters who had lived in this house since it was

perhaps not really in what other people thought about them but by, in having a lovely front garden , this would improve everybody elses world just a little bit -

Well sadly in the middle nineties both these ladies passed away and the house was sold, and `Wayne` duely moved in and with-in two weeks had
on it.....

Try a Kango! Go through it like hot shit!!!!

And NI is still a separate issue!!!!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:26 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Great Britain has died for me. There have been changes throughout my life of course and I don't like some of them.

Everything can have faults picked in it in life and I remember when I was young, my Mum use to say 'In my day it was better' and my Nan would say the same.

Everyone will complain about the current Prime Minister, some will say the 'old one was better' and others will disagree.

I know our immigration policies need changing for the safety of our country and I think that will happen.

For whatever its faults, I still believe that on the whole, we have the finest police force and emergency services.

I love the British and their reserved attitude, even the way someone bumps into us and we say 'sorry' .

We are a strange race of people, we queue for everything - I remember someone on the Gold Coast said to me 'You bloody POMS, you would queue for your own execution'.

We hear a rumour of a possible fuel shortage and we panic buy, despite it being a rumour.

We get absurdly happy whenever we see snow and our council and transport system cant cope with extreme weather.

Despite some people saying they dislike our Royal Family, they were still glued to the TV when Princess died.

The pride displayed from people at the last Jubilee, was fantastic, the street parties, everyone holding their Union Jack flags.

People that may well have the opinion that England is going downhill, but will still turn out in thousands to show how patriotic they can be.

Like every single country in the world, we have our problems, we have rules and laws that need changing.

And I am not going to Australia because I hate our country, I am going because I would like to live in Australia and I believe I can call it 'home'.

I also know that should anything go wrong, and should we want to, we can come back to the UK with no bad feeling towards it.

But no matter where we are living, I will never lose my identity and will always think Britain is great.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:42 pm
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

RugbyMatt, England is a country - Cornwall and Dorset are not. We wouldn't be dividing up, England is a complete country. The Union is not mutually beneficial. As i said, have a look on

www.thecep.org.uk

www.englishdemocrats.org.uk

www.crossofstgeorge.net

The major major problem is that still, in this day and age, we have too many English people who don't know the difference between England & Britain. Check out the posts on this thread as an example.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: The Day Great Britain Plc died for you ??

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I don't think Great Britain has died for me. There have been changes throughout my life of course and I don't like some of them.

Everything can have faults picked in it in life and I remember when I was young, my Mum use to say 'In my day it was better' and my Nan would say the same.

Everyone will complain about the current Prime Minister, some will say the 'old one was better' and others will disagree.

I know our immigration policies need changing for the safety of our country and I think that will happen.

For whatever its faults, I still believe that on the whole, we have the finest police force and emergency services.

I love the British and their reserved attitude, even the way someone bumps into us and we say 'sorry' .

We are a strange race of people, we queue for everything - I remember someone on the Gold Coast said to me 'You bloody POMS, you would queue for your own execution'.

We hear a rumour of a possible fuel shortage and we panic buy, despite it being a rumour.

We get absurdly happy whenever we see snow and our council and transport system cant cope with extreme weather.

Despite some people saying they dislike our Royal Family, they were still glued to the TV when Princess died.

The pride displayed from people at the last Jubilee, was fantastic, the street parties, everyone holding their Union Jack flags.

People that may well have the opinion that England is going downhill, but will still turn out in thousands to show how patriotic they can be.

Like every single country in the world, we have our problems, we have rules and laws that need changing.

And I am not going to Australia because I hate our country, I am going because I would like to live in Australia and I believe I can call it 'home'.

I also know that should anything go wrong, and should we want to, we can come back to the UK with no bad feeling towards it.

But no matter where we are living, I will never lose my identity and will always think Britain is great.
Love this thread
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:03 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dougggy

on it.....

Try the fact that the two spinsters were retired and had nothing else to do than tend their lawns.

Imagine also that the two spinsters,when also your age, which I would guess to be 30/40 odd also saw social change.

You ever ordered anything that has to be delivered by a "wayne" with his white van? My guess is you or someone in your familly has.

You think that in OZ you wont live next to a Shane, Wayne or Brett with his 15 year old holden ute?

Get real, if a middle class utopia of Englands yesteryear ala Daily Mail style is your poison, then Australia will surely disapoint.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic
Try the fact that the two spinsters were retired and had nothing else to do than tend their lawns.

Imagine also that the two spinsters,when also your age, which I would guess to be 30/40 odd also saw social change.

You ever ordered anything that has to be delivered by a "wayne" with his white van? My guess is you or someone in your familly has.

You think that in OZ you wont live next to a Shane, Wayne or Brett with his 15 year old holden ute?

Get real, if a middle class utopia of Englands yesteryear ala Daily Mail style is your poison, then Australia will surely disapoint.
Yes, I must admit noticing that very many here park their cars in their front garden.. rusting wrecks too..
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

coggerocks2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I really can't work out why people blame the Labour govt for the UK's demise, or at least point to 1997 as a turning point. I seem to remember a great excitement about Cool Britannia around then. Labour certainly was focused in a way that the Tories weren't. Everyone seemed to be doing fantastically around 1997-2000 and yet it wasn't so silly...

They gave the Bank of England independence one of their better moves. They saw a massive boom - which translated in to house prices might have gone on too long.

As for the rest, well all governments strangle themselves eventually - why you'll never hear me bleat about Blair or Howard. Would another government have done a better job? They want power, and want to hang on to it. Don't think Blair and his cronies are any worse or better than the late Major years from a corruption viewpoint either.
Agree...I can only assume these people are Tory voters.
My parents have always voted Conservative and now think the country is ruined!
Perhaps people should learn to not translate their political prejudices into perceived realities.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:37 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Who says the values and pastimes of the true English gentleman have disappeared?

http://www.thechap.net/index.html

old England is alive and well